[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

new art

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 20

File: Portrait230x40.jpg (1MB, 1000x1322px) Image search: [Google]
Portrait230x40.jpg
1MB, 1000x1322px
age 22
just graduated from art school
what do you guys think
>>
File: Portrait30x40.jpg (421KB, 500x672px) Image search: [Google]
Portrait30x40.jpg
421KB, 500x672px
>>
>>3124737
>when xerox machines get bored
>>
all oil paintings btw
>>
File: Portrait16x20.jpg (721KB, 658x800px) Image search: [Google]
Portrait16x20.jpg
721KB, 658x800px
>>
File: Snapshot48x60.jpg (425KB, 489x600px) Image search: [Google]
Snapshot48x60.jpg
425KB, 489x600px
>>
File: LoathLament(InProgress)48x60.jpg (385KB, 800x640px) Image search: [Google]
LoathLament(InProgress)48x60.jpg
385KB, 800x640px
this ones still in progress
>>
File: MachoMan(InProgress)48x60.jpg (456KB, 645x800px) Image search: [Google]
MachoMan(InProgress)48x60.jpg
456KB, 645x800px
another one still in progress
>>
Do you ever paint from observation? All of this stuff screams art school and won't get you anywhere
>>
>>3124751

Oh its all from observation.
>>
File: killconfederacy8.jpg (641KB, 800x604px) Image search: [Google]
killconfederacy8.jpg
641KB, 800x604px
>>
>>3124752
No, it's from photos you turd. Observation as in drawing what's in front of you
>>
>>3124757
I am drawing whats in front of me, my laptop with a digital image. Once you can draw like a photograph from looking at 3d objects, a lot of the traditional rules become a bit boring. At least for me
>>
what is your artistic process? I see you use a lot of checkerboard patterns, and for me personally, that pattern irritates my eyes and makes me feel uncomfortable.
>>
>>3124764
The process is oil paint. I've been into checkerboards lately, I think they look kind of digital or something, which I like.
>>
File: putoutrightbaitrevised.jpg (635KB, 639x800px) Image search: [Google]
putoutrightbaitrevised.jpg
635KB, 639x800px
>>
is it boring?
>>
>>3124745
This from what I've seen is the best in appeal.The figures remind me of the solid healthier forms of that you see in war propaganda and the solid colors and experimentation with the shadows being represented by the tile pattern is quite appealing. This I feel is your strongest with the cutout mishmash of different images being the weakest.
>>
>>3124831
hm good feedback, thanks
>>
I really like it.
>>
It looks like garbage. Like the kind of thing a kid would make drawing some stuff around random pieces of pictures he slapped together.

Google "art" and compare the shit you made to actual pictures of artwork and tell me you think that this trash is anywhere near that level of quality. It would be cool if you did it for fun and had no artistic talent, but you are an art student. Step up your fucking game and apply yourself. Kids in art class shouldn't be able to make better art than you did. Jesus Christ, what the fuck happened to art?
>>
Pointless garbage
>>
>>3124737

You're not good enough at the technical side of painting to justify the sarcasm in your work. You end up just looking like another mediocre wannabe. If you want to make sarcastic art you need to be in the 99th percentile of painting ability. You are maybe in the 70th-75th percentile range, and only because you're capable of finishing your paintings, not because they're actually any good. Aesthetically, your painting technique is awful, and no amount of "but that's the joke" is going to save you. It isn't the joke, you just don't have a good enough attention to detail to make them any better.

Also good job wasting money you could have spent on buying rental properties in a college town and earning passive income. You're fucked now financially for at least the next 20-30 years of your life unless you somehow manage to land a job that allows you save 2-3k a month.
>>
File: db-copy.jpg (34KB, 326x310px) Image search: [Google]
db-copy.jpg
34KB, 326x310px
well i guess its ok. all this pictured stuff. i dont like it personally that much but it looks more or less interesting. maybe try making something meaningful in your art, i mean something symbolic so it wouldnt be just aesthetics.

well, art is hard, and u gotta work harder if u wanna make it. not sure if u worked hard already, but if u did work hard already so idk what to tell u.
>>
>>3124983
I had a full tuition scholarship so I have no debt at least.
>>
>>3124983
also not so much about attention to detail as time. You look at artists like Picasso or someone like that who kicked out 40 paintings the year they were 22. If you want to really built a portfolio it's really about quantity and originality as much as technical quality. I don't have time to spend a year on each work, simple as that
>>
File: PSC_official_line_stickers_02.png (198KB, 560x480px) Image search: [Google]
PSC_official_line_stickers_02.png
198KB, 560x480px
>>3124737
I like to call it: ms paint forever. its in memory of ms paint, which will be no longer supported my microsoft
>>
>>3124737
>3/4 of pieces have fucking memes in them
>he went to school to learn how to attach meaning to meaningless shit
>he thinks anyone here cares
god i fucking hate (((modern art))). hope you didnt pay anything for this course, because you were taught wrong.
>hey guys, look at me! i can do mspaint and do worse photo-bashing than a 4 year old, my art is amazing!
abstract art is one thing, but this is literally devoid of skill, meaning, and possible interpretation. like what the fuck is >>3124738? oh shit, its a smoking women, with a poorly cropped head that was painted over pretty well but ruined by this stupid blue outline, with a fucking cupcake on her wrist? or is it on the bench? i cant tell. is this meant to represent something? is this meant to impart an emotion of somekind? because if it is the only thing im getting from it is seething rage that THIS is what my tax dollars go towards. what a fucking waste. i dont give a shit if you did the paintings yourself or if you paid someone to do them, the way this is all presented just sickens me.

>coming to /ic/ for validation
i know this is bait, but fucking hell i couldn't help but take it.
>>
>>3125271
My favorite contemporary artist is Damien Hirst, I think my work is fairly easy to digest compared to his.
>>
>>3125271
art is about making shit you want fking noob.
>>
>>3124737
Not my sort of thing. Just wondering, in your school is this the typical kind of art that people make? What do they teach exactly?
>>
>>3125374
Yeah, but it can still be shitty.
>>
>>3124737
>painting photoshop collages
The autism has gone full circle, boys.
>>
>>3125473
What's wrong with it?
>>
>>3125387
At my college they taught exclusively traditional technique, the painting professor was a photorealist. So my peers literally had no style. I took classes at another university and studied abroad to learn about contemporary art aside from a couple art theory classes. My style is mainly inspired by the internet and digital stuff
>>
So i understand this correctly. You make collages in ps, then place your computer in front of the canvas and paint them?
I mean...that would make Details like the furcoat on the first image photorealistic and my appreciation for technical still Lets me tip the trillby to you
>>
>>3124749
I mean like..If you paint all that, the Hand, the girl in the Background etc.. You gotta at least appreciate it as a study even if you dont like it as a composition
>>
>>3125604
its just not going far enough with homage. he has one reference point for his style outside of the photographs and it's matisse cutouts. It's like the other anon said, he's not good enough to pull of this kind of sarcastic homage. If he was truly a great painter in this style of painting, he'd be able to transpose other painting styles into his work. He'd be able to recreate line for line van gogh's brushstrokes, or george grosz's hands, or philip guston's jam-like paint application. Instead he's got maybe 2 or 3 tricks that he uses across all his paintings. If he really wanted to convey his mastery of the materials and a "I can do anything so I do nothing" attitude he'd be able to effortlessly switch styles across multiple paintings.

As it stands, this is art school wankery. He's a one trick pony that can't into the complexities of his materials, so he tries to imply knowledge of painting by picking disparate photos and saying "look at all the different things I can paint" while in actuality painting all the photos the same exact way.

So basically: OP sucks.
>>
File: Chair.jpg (1MB, 1032x1260px) Image search: [Google]
Chair.jpg
1MB, 1032x1260px
>>3125615
It's more or less the same thing I attempted while I was in art school, except I left after a year and stopped painting like that... 5 years ago. It's the art school art movement. There was another nigga on here that did the same thing if anyone remembers. That guy that painted characters and put them in photoshop on pictures of landscapes and was like "MEMES ARE THE FUTURE!"
>>
>>3125615
dont get me wrong, i think the painting and composition is disaster and just "le aesthetic Internet culture" is quite cheap of a topic but in Op's paintings are small Details that i just find well executed. Maybe it is the crass contrast towards the other image elements. Would be interested in seeing his sketchbook though.
>>
>>3125674
do you remember that guy i was talking about though? he was way worse than OP, but basically did the same thing and always started shit. Whenever someone said "paint observational work" he'd post the same two pictures of the still life with the boots and carrots, and the painting of his parents sitting at a table. He insisted he'd mastered "realism" when he was a teenager in every one of his threads
>>
>>3125687
I think i vaguely remember that something similar in style of op was posted here before
>>
>>3125687
Oh yeah that was me. In general I'm not as confrontational as I used to be, it tends to just harden people.
>>
>>3125615
I guess I'm not actually that interested in showing a lot of different kinds of rendering just for the sake of it.

I'm more thinking about validating a digital style where any kind of image is taken on its own terms, and image fidelity stops mattering.
>>
>>3125712
you're much better now too. holy shit those old drawings and paintings were bad. I was the same way when I would post my old work on here. I defended everything I did as if it was a masterpiece. You still have about 8-10 more years before you've actually started painting in earnest but you're on a much better track now than you were years ago.

One of the hardest things about being a young artist is making people see the vision of your work in the future that you see in your head.

Gerhard Richter said "Don't believe what a painter says about their work", and that's true, you should look at their paintings instead. But when you don't have the work to show for it yet, and you've only the idea in your head of what it's going to look like, it can be incredibly frustrating convincing people that you're going to stick with it.

I thought you'd quit art. I'm glad you didn't.
>>
>>3125712
Can you post something to refresh my memory?
>>
>>3125508
Why can't he show us the actual collage instead of photo of a painting based on one? This is more retarded than photorealism. Then again I think OP will get mildly successful off this but only because he is being a degenerate and being a degenerate sells as long as you have an original idea that abuses a medium.
>>
>>3125720
Thanks for the post man, I think you hit the nail on the head. It really is this kind of grind starting out because you have this idea but it's not totally realized. And in my case those early steps made my family and friends think I'd jumped off the deep end. I guess you have to just trust yourself at the end of the day. Obviously still have a long way to go

Also yeah I can post a couple things, they're total garbage haha
>>
File: avatars.jpg (253KB, 1024x681px) Image search: [Google]
253KB, 1024x681px
>>
File: Fear.jpg (337KB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
Fear.jpg
337KB, 500x700px
>>
>>3124950
hurr durr everything that is not pretty realistic portraits is not art hurr what happened to art
>>
>>3124950
t. normie who likes celebrity portrait drawings and generic instagram art
>>
Looks interesting in some aspects , like the pink background with the textures. I think you shouldnt be using oil in some of the cases. Also if you dont paint 100% realistically please dont even try. The "construct duplicity" one is lame af because of the "realistic" painting. Literally just use a photo, whats the difference?
The trollface one has a nice feeling tobit but its too forced.
Also the hat on the firts one is absolutely disgusting

please stop painting "realistically" and just use photos instead, its the sane thing and will give a better result
>>
Sorry, but this is literally rubbish. I won't even wipe my ass with any of those. You'll have to rethink your life choices mate.
>>
>>3126094
A few of them are literally cut and pasted memes. Is that art? Then 4chan is a fucking art gallery and I have a few rare pepes to sell you.
>>
>>3126217
op here, yeah I agree 4chan is an art gallery
>>
>>3126121
>>3126121

On "construct watertight duplicity", does the realistic painting in the bottom right look shoddy? I was thinking about going over it once more and try to make it look closer to completely photorealistic. When your painting that small it becomes a little harder. I think that if I adjust the colors and sort of blur some of the hard edges it will be really close though.
>>
>>3126121
Also can you be a bit more specific about issues with the hat on the first one?

I saw this guy wearing that exact outfit at this party I went to with some theatre majors. I thought it was kind of provocative because everything was in style, but the hat was totally out of place. It almost worked just because it made this statement. Dad hat and a fur coat
>>
>>3124737
How much of your parents hard earned money did you spend on this (clearly) worthless education?
>>
>>3126217
Nice burn.
>>
>>3126372
Zero I had a full ride scholarship
>>
>>3124737
Your paintings are a mixture of David Salle and a memelord
>>
>>3124760
Post some work that proves you can draw photo realistic realism, OP or we will stop handing you all these (yous) you like so much. And i'm not just talking drawings/paintings with coherent shading and form. I'm talking drawing like a photograph, just as you said you could do. Post one attempt where you used a reference to create a photorealistic image and one where you attempted to create one from imagination.
>>
>>3127664
>>3126551

Also, remember that passing school means absolutely nothing, nothing in the slightest. your work speaks for itself, always.
>>
>>3127664
>Post one attempt where you used a reference to create a photorealistic image and one where you attempted to create one from imagination.
not OP, but painting like a photo doesn't mean you're good at art
>>
>>3127667
>>3127665
>>3127664
You're absolutely right. I simply want to see at what level he is able to execute a drawing. But you're right. even if you can do perfect realism from imagination, that doesn't ensure you can produce good work. But it does mean that you have a lOT of options when it comes to execution. I want to see how much of his executions are a choice, and how much of them are because he's incapable of something better.
>>
And i don't want him to just TELL me he's capable of doing it. I have to see it in order to evaluate it properly. I hope OP's still around and checks out this thread.
>>
>>3127664
lol nice ordering. But yeah sure I can post something. I mean their purely studies though so you can't critique them based on them subject which is totally mundane.
>>
this ones not quite but fairly close I'd say
>>
>>3124738
AESTHETIC
>>
File: anonymous.jpg (140KB, 1920x1502px) Image search: [Google]
anonymous.jpg
140KB, 1920x1502px
A couple oil paintings from my freshman year. When I post these here everyone shits all over them for some reason. They are about alienation so the emotion is essentially melancholy. But people always just think that was unintentional and I was being boring.
>>
File: 2008 collapse.jpg (1MB, 1920x1427px) Image search: [Google]
2008 collapse.jpg
1MB, 1920x1427px
About when my families business collapsed during the 08 financial crisis. Again, people in general hate these on here. Were decent practice though
>>
>>3128089
if this is really yours it's really strong, you should have continued this way instead of doing meme art
>>
>>3128093

I was clinically depressed at the time and didn't want to make art anymore. So I quit painting and went digital for about 2 years purely out of necessity because working like that just wasn't possible at that point
>>
>>3128089
>>3128099
I personally like your meme / pone art but you fucked up by going to school in my humble imho opinion.

Also aren't you the guy with the really small ear?

Small ear-ass nigga lmoa
>>
>>3128101
small ear? I don't think so haha.

as for school I just kind of saw it as a free studio. Although it did help me in some ways even if it hurts a little to admit it. I always shit talked school while I was going to school, I think my peers were surprised I made it through.

>>3127449
Yeah david salle is an influence. The dude is more postmodern though, fragmentation is the concept. I think that's fuckin boring and I think in 100 years he'll get sidelined in the art history books for it. My work is visually fragmented, but usually there's a broader message. I'm not on some conceptual diatribe about banality or something.

This isn't what I plan to do for the rest of my career, I'm still searching. Right now it's not completely original yet. I've been pushing really hard because the goal is to have something actually original by my later 20's. We'll see
>>
The dream has always been to con the art world. I think the night I did that I'd have the best sleep of my life.
>>
I like a lot of what you have. Is anything for sale? Do you have an etsy account?
>>
>>3128177
I don't, I just have an instagram. If you want to shoot me a price on something, by all means.
>>
>>3128156
Originality is something very tricky to achieve, having an idea (an truly original idea) is something that only few can achieve and some only achieve late in life, but I wish you luck, I'm also trying and hoping to have something original.

I enjoy some of your paintings, they look like a less ironic and more honest David Salle with a touch of internet, I don't really care for the memes tho, but the internet art references are cool.
>>
>>3129288
Yeah and even the ones that we think of as original, fauvism, cubism, pop, etc. weren't even original (African art, advertising, etc.) They were just a pastiche of something that already existed and then served to the western art cannon. Honestly I'm less interesting in a totally new idea, I more want to find things and then take them as my own. My favorite animal in the jungle is the vulture, he has it easier than the lions or the grazers
>>
>>3125363
But Damien Hirst is not difficult to digest at all.
>>
>>3126217
Wow, what an idiot you are.
>>
>>3129402
Eh true. Richard Prince is probably my favorite anyway idk why I said hirst. I like hirst because he made a lot of cash.
>>
>>3124737
The Blue Jew
>>
I swear NO ONE technically in this thread near his level,
everyone just being faggot complaining like said "I can do much better", "trash , "garbage",

oh wait... its 4chan ~
>>
>>3128156
>as for school I just kind of saw it as a free studio
>art school
>free
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.