[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

designing an contemporary museum

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: 01-psd.jpg (838KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
01-psd.jpg
838KB, 1920x1080px
Hi guys,

so im an architecture master student and im designing an museum within an existing building. everytrhing is going well so far but there is 1 problem. I know that i want to create an contemporary art museum that deals with social issues and especially expressed in installations big ones.

So i proposed some art/installations to my tutor but he says im lacking in what kind of museum i need to create. Do you guys think that i should make a small catalogue of the art that i want to present in combination with the underlaying theme of the museum or do you guys maybe have another approach towards the demand in explanation for what kind of museum it is going to be?

thank you for your time
>>
Maybe take more time to learn what contemporary as a concept is (it's lost on me) and figure out how your museum would accommodate that style of thought. in a post modern era, contemporary basically means anything goes, so you have a hard job in my opinion
>>
>>3124042
What ever you do, design it so a flashing exit sign is above every piece, the signs point you to other pieces. With each artwork you question your sanity more as the exit signs flash more intense the further you go. You walk what seems miles and miles until finally the signs lead you to a dead end with chairs. The flashing exit signs point down at the chairs. The attendees then have to sit in the chairs and find an escape via the astral plane and accept that their vessels have become the museum's greatest piece of artwork.

>contemporary art
>>
You should take some time to properly define the museum. Contemporary art is a pretty vague. A catalogue is a good idea, but also write a mission statement. I've just copied this from the tate website

>Its mission is to increase the public’s enjoyment and understanding of British art from the 16th century to the present day and of international modern and contemporary art.

so questions you might want to ask yourself
>is there a permament collection or is all just changing installations?
>do you have any specific social issues in mind that the gallery would focus on
>how many artists can show at once, is there room for them to work at a variety of scales?
>
>what is the existing building and what is it used for and can it relate the purpose of the gallery.
>how long do installations stay up for?
>is there a preference towards the type of installation, sculptural, technological/interactive elements ect?
>installation art is often site specific, is there something in the building which is important, historical condition, relationship to a landscape ect?
>does the museum just show the art? often lots of museums host workshops, talks and events. is there a charitable status mission ect

Basically imagine you are actually going to set this museum up. Properly define it aims and goals. Then once thats done take them and make them spatial.
>>
Designing the museum is your job, putting together an exhibition is the curators job. I don't really understand what you're asking
>>
>>3124115

thank you for your feedback!

done already >is there a permament collection or is all just changing installations?
done already >do you have any specific social issues in mind that the gallery would focus on
done already >how many artists can show at once, is there room for them to work at a variety of scales?
>
done already >what is the existing building and what is it used for and can it relate the purpose of the gallery.
done already >how long do installations stay up for?
done already >is there a preference towards the type of installation, sculptural, technological/interactive elements ect?
done already >installation art is often site specific, is there something in the building which is important, historical condition, relationship to a landscape ect?
done already >does the museum just show the art? often lots of museums host workshops, talks and events. is there a charitable status mission ect

and here lies the problem i have already done and clarified every single topic on your list i have read al the mission statements of the major museums. such as tate/ new museum/ moma/ whitney etc.....

thats why im pretty clueless but i guess im just going to make a catalogus and see from there

>>3124079
hahaha good KEK thanks mate
>>
File: comments.jpg (22KB, 788x62px) Image search: [Google]
comments.jpg
22KB, 788x62px
>>3124116
here is the remark of my tutor
>>
>>3124119
ah okay i think i understand. Basically all those mediums of installation art are going to have different spatial requirements. Maybe focus on a couple of types of them, eg media and photography, or large architectural ect . That way you can really focus on how to design the museum for that type of installation, lighting, circulation, the feel of the space ect. I assume that your tutor wants you to get more specific because if you just say installation art you can fall into the trap of designing for all types and making something generic which works for all types but might not show them in their best light.
>>
Architkfag here. KISS. Keep It Simple Stupid.

Start with something simple and use that to draw the inspirational concept from. Let that starting theme drive the whole thing.

Example. Choose Malevich's Woman With Pails. "all forms in nature could be reduced to the sphere, cylinder, and cone" or abstraction....

Choosing a number of paintings will make for a too complex start.
>>
>>3124397
You are literally retarded. OP is asking for advice on brief development, not how to go from concept to form. Also that's shit advice anyway, going directly from a piece of art to building is idiotic.
>>
>>3124141
the professor is asking you to narrow down what type of art should be displayed. You can't have all the types of art you listed.
>>
>>3124042
looks like prison cells
>>
>>3124488
yes i figured as much
im now going to make a list of demands for my museum and start working the other way around.

>>3124598
it used to be a silo storage but i like that you see prison cells in it

>>3124473
XD haha
>>
i hope that image isn't of your actual design.
>weird shit going on with your render meshes,uncapped edges ect
>square concrete columns suddenly become small circular ones. Better not be because of that curving ramp on the left.
>ruining a massive open atrium space by putting fucking escalators in

Come on man, your doing a masters, those are undergrad level mistakes.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.