[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is acrylic looked down upon when compared with oil painting?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1503524191349.png (281KB, 641x479px) Image search: [Google]
1503524191349.png
281KB, 641x479px
Why is acrylic looked down upon when compared with oil painting?
>>
>>3123574
Good oil paints contains much more pigment than acrylic paints which makes them more expensive. This confers more status to oil paints. Acrylic paint also has much more commercial origins and a shorter history than oil paint. So basically, acrylic paints are oftentimes more associated with commercial art while oil paints with fine art.
>>
>>3123642
/thread
>>
>>3123642
What about gouche?
>>
>>3123574
oil on canvas is an amazing medium with a history that dwarfs all else many times over. nearly every other color medium is looked at as inferior, mainly because >>3123642 and that oils take considerable more skill to use, let alone master. it signals you're doing something serious and not something you would hand your 9 year old kid to play with. i'm sure there are plenty more conceivable reasons, too.
>>
Blink twice and your acrylics are dry, making it very hard to work on things and do things like softening of edges. Acrylics are also inferior when it comes to building up a painting in layers, not only because they dry so fast, but also because oils have a certain translucency that enables you to get very rich colours as the light filters through the different layers. I started out with acrylics but they legitimately are trash if you lean towards a more traditional way of painting.
>>
>>3123574
People find danger romantic
>>
>>3123642
replace acrylics with digital and you still remain 100% true
>>
It's flat and limited in visual effect compared to oil. Find me an acrylic painting that compares in surface texture and lustre to old oil paintings (Rembrandt, Titian, etc).
>>
>>3123913
I've hard that transparency argument before. I think it's nonsense. Thick layers of clear acrylic gloss medium, which is the binder in acrylic paint, look completely transparent when you look at them.
>>
If you talk about it from a collector's perspective, then I guess oils are preferred because we know they will stay more or less intact for hundreds of years. But of course it's also about how you use the paint, because I've seen oil paintings that are 30 years old with cracks everywhere. In the art world however, I don't know if acrylics are looked down upon, where do you get that from? I've seen many acrylic paintings in good galleries, just as I have with oil paintings. I know one painter who uses both vinyl, acrylics and oils in his paintings because vinyl and acrylics are good to do your underlying sketch with.
>>
>>3123983

nah there really is a difference if you look at them irl. don't care if you don't believe it, acrylics are an inferior medium.
>>
>>3123646
gouache is gauche
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.