[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Giger/Les Barany to Aspiring Artists

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: giger-les.jpg (16KB, 324x481px) Image search: [Google]
giger-les.jpg
16KB, 324x481px
http://www.hrgiger.com/faq.htm

/ic/ will disagree with this.

>Until you can draw an accurate portrait of someone, you don’t know how to draw.

>Study closely the work of the Old Masters.

>Stop making art that originates only from your own imagination.

>On any given day, always be in the middle of reading a book. When you finish one, start the next. Fiction, nonfiction, biographies, autobiographies, history, science, psychology, or how to build a kite. Anything but go easy on the comic books.

>Fill up a sketchbook every month with pen or pencil drawings of the world around you, not from your imagination.

>No video games, either.

>Listen to classical music and jazz. If you are unable to appreciate it at least as much as contemporary music, you lack the sensitivity to develop into an artist of any real depth.
>>
>>3123172

I mostly agree. About videogames though, they can be helpful, just don't make it your only source of ideas.

I disagree with the music part, or at least no opinion on it.
>>
>>3123174

Videogames aren't really good. They're less nuanced than older mediums like literature and film because the majority of video games have black-and-white morality. Not to mention that they're simplified. Even if you do play competitive shooters R6:Siege and CS:GO, you're fucked over by poor netcode due to the large userbase. Let's not forget that they try to hook you into gambling by buying lockboxes and skins.

They do have good artists, but that's just it.
>>
>>3123205
>not realizing the true art is in the mechanics, falling for the aesthetic trickery and faux narrative.
ngmi
>>
>>3123205
There are good games that can be somewhat compared to literature or movies.

For me it was Thief series, especially the first one. Check it out, great game (although old).
>>
>>3123221
>>3123235

That's the thing though, a lot of them aren't designed to be challenging or unique anymore. The majority of contemporary ones are either designed like an F2P mmo with several microtransactions (after you pay $60 for the main product, looking at you R6:Siege and Overwatch) or a walking sim where you go forward to push a button to hear/see the protagonist rant obnoxiously about conservatives.

I get that AAA games are costly to make now, but there's better, nuanced, and cheaper stuff that you can spend your money on.
>>
>>3123172
I respect very much H.R Giger and that F.A.Q helped me when I was younger, that being said Giger was the only good artist Les Barany represented, the rest are extremely kitschy artists, so it seems Les Barany failed his own tips.
>>
>>3123172
>Stop making art that originates only from your own imagination.
>Draws only biomechanical goth hyper detailed stuff

i don't get it
>>
>>3123306
you never saw his cock.
>>
>>3123235
These are exceptionally rare. It's like using Myst to drive a point about the greater game industry.
>>
>>3123172
>>3123306
It's not Giger who says this, but his agent Leslie (i.e. not an artist). OP makes a selection that sort o fmakes a point but the full list is bollocks.
Reading the newspaper every day? No signal, only noise.Worthless shilling
>>
>>3123174
>About videogames though, they can be helpful
Kopinski disagrees - even if his clients are vidya companies he stays away from that shit.
>>
>>3123252
Sure, I agree, that's why I dropped playing games, they are the opposite of challenging. What I find insulting is that people don't like me saying that I play games to be challenged mentally and everything else for me seems like time wasting. If you have a life, how can you play some garbage AAA and be content with it? It's not even about wasting time, it literally damages your brain by accustoming you to simpler and less intelligent stuff. At least it makes easy to tell if someone is stupid: does he play a lot of new games? If yes, it's almost certain.
>>
>>3123699
Well, you aren't supposed to waste your time playing them, but as a visual medium, they can be just as valuable a source of inspiration as any individual illustrator or concept artist.
>>
Even those "old masters" used exaggeration in their works, their main goal wasn't getting their works to look exactly like the thing in front of them.

Of course studying from life is important, but cutting anything not real or imaginative from yout study is a big mistake, unless your goal is having 100% realistic art. I really despise these realism fags that try to subvert classical art.
>>
>>3123453
i'd say the list is about developing an artistic view on stuff, but yeah it's not really based on anything and is really subjective
reminds me of drawing on the right side of the brain
>>
>>3123172
>classical music and jazz

hahaha, that's the only thing i listen to anyways

based giger
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.