[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does finishing your work really make you a better artist?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 3
Thread images: 2

File: 4a517aaf05c1633805e2a41ad37bf0f1.png (203KB, 827x1200px) Image search: [Google]
4a517aaf05c1633805e2a41ad37bf0f1.png
203KB, 827x1200px
Let's take 2 people for example. They both have 1,000 hours of practice. Person A makes a finished piece(let's use comics in this example) and person B just makes sketches.

Person A: Because person A is pushing himself to make finished pieces his skill set is going to be more rounded. For example

Perspective: 3/10
Composition: 3/10
Appeal: 3/10
Anatomy: 3/10
Values: 3/10
Color theory: 3/10
Gesture: 3/10
Proportion: 3/10

etc etc

Person B:

Composition: 0/10
Perspective: 3/10
Color theory: 0/10
Proportion: 5/10
Appeal: 5/10
Anatomy: 5/10

etc etc

Basically at the end of the day who is really better? Person A has a more rounded skill set because he did finished work consistently vs person B who missed on certain skills but advanced further in certain skills because he focused moreso on basic drawing skills?

Basically, it seems to me that doing finished pieces doesn't make you a better artist but rather it allows you to prioritize and balance your skill set better. Because if your eye level is higher than your skill level you'd always see flaws in your art, you don't need to finish stuff to know where you need to improve. Thoughts?
>>
File: autismgirlwithsytheismyfav.gif (229KB, 268x205px) Image search: [Google]
autismgirlwithsytheismyfav.gif
229KB, 268x205px
>>3122644
Neither. You shouldn't just be "making sketches" for the sake of making sketches. Just look at the people in LAS for example; sketches and no focus on improvement whatsoever since they joined. The other half, finishing pieces, is a yes and no but mostly no. Finishing something yes, can push you to see how much you know into one thing. That and sometimes you just want to complete something because you like drawing, fine. But as a beginner there is just so much ground to cover that your first 2 years (in my opinion) shouldn't be wasted finishing garbage. The only benefit is that when someone asks you to show your work you can present them your best stuff.

As you try to finish things you'll notice you don't know X or Y and it's hampering you to get your vision across. And it wastes a lot of time had you know Z subject your drawing process would have been near completion a lot sooner.

I believe your first 2 to 3 years should be just accepting you'll be shit and grind your fundamentals. That is the hardest part. Wanting to show an audience finished artwork despite you being shit. Sketches are great but it needs to show understanding and not drawing scribbles in a vacuum. Applying what you know to something more refined.
>>
I think if you're finishing pieces frequently and consistently you're putting out more work to catch yourself out on after some time has passed. Especially in a medium as breakneck as comics, where there is rarely time to sit on any one piece for too long anyway.

I'd rather get to a certain standard a bit more slowly through a steady body of finished work than slave away studying and having nothing solid to show.
Thread posts: 3
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.