[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can I use a fan to dry an oil painting faster?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: fingerpainting.jpg (467KB, 866x577px) Image search: [Google]
fingerpainting.jpg
467KB, 866x577px
Can I use a fan to dry an oil painting faster?
>>
>>3121742
Yeahn but not that much faster
>>
>>3121742
I use a hairdryer to dry my gouache and acrylic paintings, I never tried with oils because I think it won't make a big difference but you can try
>>
Heat and sunlight is your best bet. That shit is gonna take a while, though, one way or another.
>>
>>3121742
Not really. A warm room will help the oil dry faster than a fan. (Dont try using a heat source like a hair drying, you'll just scorch the paint).

If you want to speed up drying time, use thin layers, and add a couple drops of Liquin in as a medium. Liquin can cut drying time in half.

But, it's still going to need time to dry. That's why commercial artists, before digital, used goauche or acrylics to paint opaquely, because it dries fast. Oil simply takes a long time to dry. That's why we use it as a lubricant, in things like engines.
>>
>>3121742
oil paint doesn't dry, it cures
>>
>>3122917
This can be a bit risky if you painted on a thin wood panel with no support. Prolonged exposure to the sun can cause the panel to warp. Just a bit of a warning in case you go this route.
>>
>>3123092
Nope. That's a mis-use of the word. Curing a specific action, that doesn't happen naturally. The correct term for what oil paints do is polymerization, were the oil converts over time into a semi-solid.

From Wiki:
Characteristics[edit]
Traditional oil paints require an oil that always hardens, forming a stable, impermeable film. Such oils are called siccative, or drying, oils, and are characterized by high levels of polyunsaturated fatty acids. One common measure of the siccative property of oils is iodine number, the number of grams of iodine one hundred grams of oil can absorb. Oils with an iodine number greater than 130 are considered drying, those with an iodine number of 115-130 are semi-drying, and those with an iodine number of less than 115 are non-drying. Linseed oil, the most prevalent vehicle for artists' oil paints, is a drying oil.

When exposed to air, oils do not undergo the same evaporative process that water does. Instead, they polymerize into a dry semisolid. This rate of process can be very slow, depending on the oil.

The science of oil painting is pretty interesting. "Drying" as a term is appropriate, because that's what it does. Curing would mean exposing the oil to chemicals or UV light.
>>
>>3121742
I tried putting it in the oven, doesn't work
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.