[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

are my prices too high?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

File: Afternoon walk.jpg (1MB, 2368x4000px) Image search: [Google]
Afternoon walk.jpg
1MB, 2368x4000px
Nobody is buying stuff from me anymore.
Do you think that my prices are too high or I just have bad luck?

BUST SHOT: 15 euro
THIGH UP: 20 euro
FULLBODY: 25 euro
COMPLEX BACKGROUND: +5-15 EUROS
>>
>>
File: killua_by_morrya-dbgw7ms.png (2MB, 1024x1448px) Image search: [Google]
killua_by_morrya-dbgw7ms.png
2MB, 1024x1448px
>>
File: morning_run_by_morrya-dbkv0z8.jpg (277KB, 1024x1577px) Image search: [Google]
morning_run_by_morrya-dbkv0z8.jpg
277KB, 1024x1577px
>>
>>3121519
It is hard to know if your prices are too high. What market are you trying to sell your art in? For me I do oil painting and the gallery rate is 1.25 (US) per square inch. I don't paint to sell I paint to have art for my own walls. I did end up selling some art which is fabulous. For yourself you might try different styles. You can get away from the computer generated art. Go traditional Watercolor, Oil painting traditional scenes. You might find you have a market of the people who bought your computer art. They will want an original piece for their wall.
Good Luck!
>>
That's very low, but so are most prices that artists charge, that's why the current market is fucked up.
How many hours do you spend on average on a bust or fullbody? What is the minimum wage where you live?
That's the LEAST you should charge. The better you get the more you should charge. Also it's preferable to adjust it to US or European minimum wage in case you live in a poor country.
>>
>>3121519
Very poor backgrounds. From the looks of your art It doesn't look like you'd be able to draw various things and tastes that potential buyers might have. You might get some cash from people wanting their OC drawn or something. But you should try and focus on expanding your comfort zone instead of trying to focus on "bust shots" and "Thigh ups". Focus on your art.
>>
>>312151
Your style isn't versatile, and probably only appeals to weebs. Try marketing to them
>>
Least you could have done is change the filename if you want to be a dick and impersonate someone.
>>
>>3121519
Your prices are too high. You should pay me for having to look at this shit.

Leave money out of the question until you have solid foundations
>>
>>3121519
What steps have you taken to market yourself and work?
>>
>>3121594
I see,well I looked to other people prices as well and I decided that is better to make them cheaper to get some clients but that doesn't work after all. :s
>>
>>3121607
Well I usually draw OCs,I enjoy portraits and I'm not good at backgrounds.This is the market I try to enter. I don't want this to be my main job,I'm still a student and is pretty hard to juggle traditional with digital.But It would be nice if I could make some money for my collage.From what I've seen Traditional isn't selling very well online. :s
>>
>>3121609
Oh but this is what I do ><
>>
>>3121610
don't be silly,the title isn't changed because it was easier to download them again from my deviantart instead of lowering the quality so the files are less than 4 mb. I keep on my PC only the high quality pictures.
>>
>>3121637

Well I have a deviantart and I try and stay active on it.Post frequently and favorite other peoples work,do art trades and stuff like that to get the community to notice me but it isn't working so well :/
>>
>>3121705
wow that is like the absolute minimum you could do to self promote yourself and you wonder why you don't get any comissions lol
>>
>>3121709
<:( Well,what else should I do? Can you give me some ideas and tips?
>>
>>3121719
I'm a diff anon than you were asking but hi.

dA community sucks absolute ass and nobody has money there anyway. Start expanding your social media presence, facebook, twitter, tumblr, commis.io, whatever other trendy sites, and post frequently & socially, keep your com prices low until you think you've improved or you absolutely have too many and start to charge more then.

On the art side of things, your stuff is pretty generic tumblr anime. The colouring is competent enough but could use some work, anatomy needs more crunching. Try more interesting poses and themes. Good on you for at least attempting to do bgs but I'm not 100% sure if they're just blurred photos from google, so.

Draw more, study more, get out of your comfort zone and try some different styles that you like but fundies come first before style. Good luck anon!
>>
>>3121519
Your prices aren't too high but your skill in art is too low.
>>
File: Mitica.jpg (3MB, 3726x3233px) Image search: [Google]
Mitica.jpg
3MB, 3726x3233px
>>3121751
>commis.io
are tumblr and twitter really better than dA?
How about traditional art? Do oil paintings sell? I'm starting to get tired with digital stuff and I'm thinking going back to basics. Oil is my favorite and I would love to improve it.

the photo is of a quick painting I did in 10 hours or so.I'm not too happy with how it turned up,I want to improve my brush strokes,so they are visible.
>>
>>3121765
They're more social and if somebody reblogs/retweets it can blow up easily so the exposure is better. commis-io is strictly to post your commisions, just another avenue for people to find you.

I was looking at your dA and saw that one, I think it is possibly one of your stronger pieces, maybe because you reffed it... though the fabric folds are a little lackluster. My fave artist for fabric folds is Sargent because he does them so precisely that he doesn't have to overly detail it, maybe check him out.

What is it about digital that is making you tired? Because you can make digital that passes as trad if it's the brushwork you want.

As far as people BUYING trad? That's harder, you'll have to get a better camera set up for posting good quality images, and if they actually want it shipped that can be prohibitive since you live in Europe, in my experience of shipping trad art I either had to charge way more to cover the cost or barely make any profit.
>>
This thread is an embarrassment.
>>
>>3121769
commis.io It's useless the view are very rare and 0 commission requests and for trial i put minimum price 5usd for full color image with background etc.
>>
>>3121769
Thank you! You've been a great help :)
>>
>>3121695
Ok. NEVER be cheaper than the competition. The only thing that causes is an endless spiral where artists will sell their products for less and less.
>>
>>3121802
Got it! After a summer without any sales I think I'm gonna take a pause from online posting to refine my skills and come back with better art and more suitable pricing. Maybe I'm gonna ditch Deviantart as well...
>>
>>3121547

Honestly, m8, best advice anyone can give you as to if you charge to much or not is to improve your art, and your art need improvement.

Noticeable issues. Take the picture I highlighted. There are obvious issues with the anatomy itself, but beyond that look how she's standing. That is not a natural pose at all. It's stiff and rigid. Nobody puts their hand on their hip in such a way. What you probably want to go for instead is a strong contrapposto with the hand resting flatly, palm down, on the hip.

Beyond that your backgrounds don't compliment the figures at all, especially with that extra white outline around everything. The figures look like flat paper cutouts that clash with these vague blurry backgrounds.

I think your backgrounds are lazy. It seems you are simply taking pictures and dinking around with blurriness and filters in photoshop or whatever. I see no kind of work that warrants charging 5 to 15 EUR for a "complex" background.

Anyway man just my honest opinion, not trying to be a dick or anything.
>>
>>3121519
Change your art and change your market. Or one of the two.
>>
>>3121519
Look, why not make real art instead of cartoons? You might enjoy it more and then get the success that you crave. Either way stop worrying about pleasing people so much, especially at your prices.
>>
>>3122118
don't worry,what I showed in that pictures are NOT complex backgrounds,I woudn't charge money for that!
But anyway,thanks for the critique.
I'm honestly thankfull for the people who actually try to help me and tell me usefull things.
>>
>>3122428
I do both.but you're right,I should try to post more serious stuff,maybe the people will like that more.
>>
>>3121765
deviantart is for deviants, leave unless you want to draw fat bear furries with bagoos
>>
>>3121519
>>3121523
>>3121525
>>3121547
Dude, that's a depressingly low hourly rate, considering that those will take you way more than an hour per piece. Honestly I would rather work at Starbucks and draw stuff for myself at home. Don't go lower than that, you should have some self respect and try to get payed for your time like you are worth more than trash. Pretty sure this will fuck with your confidence in the long run, be careful with this.
>>
>>3123861
I agree with this guy.

Your work is good enough to make some money of off, I see a lot of people wanting that kind of style commissions on deviantart if you want to head over there. personally i wont work for less than $10/hr and i think a lot of people should do this too.
If you sell yourself cheap then its going to be harder to bring up your prices as you progress and get better. Plus it's not helpful as a whole when people are working for pennies so people looking to commission will think its okay to ask for work for pennies.
>>
>>3121519
Do you get multiple commissions from the same people? Do you get comissions from friends of these people? No? It may mean they might have been not enitrely happy with your work.
>>
Ok anons,I found out all the things I wanted so I will not reply to any new posts.

thanks a bunch too all the anons who gave their opinions and tips,you really did help me out here!
>>
>>3121802
Wow, almost like there is a free market where one must be competitive and actually make decent art in order to charge more. Given the state of 99% of modern artists, I see why you would have a problem with it. If you had to compete your dumpster bin worthy "art" would be useless and you'd need to find a real job. People like you are why artists are viewed so poorly these days. You actually sat there and told a dude to keep up his prices to artificially inflate the community's seeming value rather than to compete in a free market where consumers win with lower prices and artists with more talent rising to the top and being able to charge more for their quality work.

You should be fucking ashamed of yourself.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.