[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a name for this type of medieval looking art?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 7

Is there a name for this type of medieval looking art?
>>
File: 172391550.jpg (1MB, 1024x927px) Image search: [Google]
172391550.jpg
1MB, 1024x927px
>>
any other artists like miura that try to emulate it?
>>
>>3120936
Engraving, either woodblock, or metal. Back then, they didn't have lithography, so to make images like that in large amounts, they made woodblock carvings and made impressions with them with ink.
The kind of this kind of work is Albrect Durer. After him, Gustov Dore.
Contemporary artists, there are many - most cartooning came out of this kind of drawing, using line and crosshatching. Bernie Wrightson is one of the better modern practitioners of it.
>>
>>3120936
>>3120937
>>3120938
Symbol drawing or /beg/
>>
File: DXtRyIi.png (733KB, 1912x1400px) Image search: [Google]
DXtRyIi.png
733KB, 1912x1400px
>>3120938
I think this was just because it was so early on in his career. He did improve his art quality substantially as the years went on.
>>
File: tumblr_mtwlchYtQt1rqxd5ko1_1280.jpg (716KB, 740x1042px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mtwlchYtQt1rqxd5ko1_1280.jpg
716KB, 740x1042px
>>3121214
It's an acquired taste, you cretin.
>>
>>3120936
Woodcuts
>>
>>3121916
medieval cuckolding?
>>
>>3121925
I think that's it.
>>
I'm a complete beginner.
How do I learn to draw like this?
Do I have to study other styles first and then move to this, or can I just start learning it right away?

I have no interest in drawing other styles.
>>
>>3120936
that particular one is a wood cut from the gothic era i think. i know because i hate gothic era art. its of vlad tepes defender from the caliphate as you know .
>>
>>3122542
just study gothic work from the 12th to 16th century
>>
>>3122542
Before you can draw like this, you need to get your fundies down. Start out with reading all of Loomis books.
>>
>>3122553
>just study gothic work from the 12th to 16th century
What do you mean exactly with "study"?

>>3124063
>Before you can draw like this, you need to get your fundies down. Start out with reading all of Loomis books.
Thank you for the suggestion.
Yesterday I got "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain".
Do I read it before or after those books you suggested?
Or not at all?

Any one of them in particular I should start with?
>>
>>3125054
If you want go totally medieval in your style then you don't really need Loomis. I'll give you a basic study plan:
Keys to Drawing
Perspective Made Easy
Peter Han's Dynamic Sketching videos
Rendering in Pen and Ink

After this study what you like (copy it, using the fundamentals that you learned, analyze what makes something good). I never read DRSB beyond doing that one exercise but I'd say it's optional
>>
>>3128925
Thank you very much Anon.
>>
>>3120936
Found a nice demo here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHoqh27vQRw
>>
File: Veronica.jpg (149KB, 952x685px) Image search: [Google]
Veronica.jpg
149KB, 952x685px
>>3120936
(Edit: >>3128976)

This art called crosshatching, i want to learn it the dürer way, or like the old masters draw humans etc.
>>
It's called illumination. It was used on medieval manuscripts. Styles differ throughout the ages, but sun a search for "manuscript illumination" plus whichever century you're interested in and you will see some beautiful work.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.