[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I good?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 6

File: scottrobertson.jpg (513KB, 1750x1750px)
scottrobertson.jpg
513KB, 1750x1750px
>>
>>3119099
come on guys, don't ignore me.
>>
>>3119099
Make something new, I'm tired of seeing the same image all the time
>>
yes you got skill.

but do you have idea? try to draw a scene of somekind next. that will be able to put your genius forward.
>>
>>3119099

No you're not good, it's mediocre and about a year or two above /beg/ tier at best

You just followed some Scott Robertson tutorial and made it easy for you with black and white. You're still nowhere near being able to draw fluently

There's not a single one of those objects that doesn't have some thing completely off, and they're all boxy, stiff and out of perspective
>>
>>3119132
This
>>
>>3119099
Now do some renders using Scott's book as a guide for shading.
>>
>>3119099
you've been putting the same image on /ic/ for a while. haven't you done anything else?
>>
File: malcolm-dewey-reese.gif (494KB, 350x263px) Image search: [Google]
malcolm-dewey-reese.gif
494KB, 350x263px
>>3119119
>>3119120
>>3119124

CAN YOU REPEAT THA KWESH-CHUN
>>
>>3119136
You sound like a hater. If it's so easy why don't you do it yourself. Also, Mr. Genius how about you demonstrate these perspective errors with a redlining. >>3119144
I have. >>3119132
You have to take things slowly. This is part of the reason why you faggots on /ic never progress.
>>
>>3119155
defensive tone, anon. you'll never be good with a fragile ego
>>
>>3119177
stfu
>>
>>3119099
kys rep/tora
>>
I want to see you drawing human figures before I pass onto further judging.

Seems like you've got the basic Robertson construction nailed but I wanna see more types of perspectives types other than 1 point and 2 points.

Plus, you haven't rendered any of these yet.

On a scale of 1 to 10 I rate you at 3. /beg/ tier is around 1-2. Once you've demonstrated that you can do what I've stated above (each point bumps one rating), you'll be at 5, which is intermediate level.
>>
>>3119196
What are the parameters for /beg/ and intermediate tier?
>>
>>3119155

OP, he >>3119132 is right, what good is technical skill if you can't also construct a scene. Don't get mad, just work hard and get better for yourself.

And if you pose the question "am i good?" and people say no. Don't get mad, it's not their fault. If you only wanted to hear "yes" or only something positive then don't ask such a question.
>>
>>3119099
beginner to intermediate level, I'd say.
>>
File: Proof.jpg (328KB, 1918x1098px) Image search: [Google]
Proof.jpg
328KB, 1918x1098px
>>3119099

That's my work, why are you larping as me?
>>
>>3119234
stop trying to save face, faggot.
>>
>>3119234
>>3119099
I am the guy who actually drew those, and I would never make a thread to act like an asshole. I have no idea what the intentions behind the OP are, but I guess defamation is one of the main motivations.

>>3119144

Yes I have, this thread was made not made by me.
>>
>>3119238
lol, i suspected it wasn't. i wonder if it's the same troll who made that last fake thread pretending to be a professional artist giving advice.
>>
>>3119204
5 is intermediate because well it is, the median.

My level is like yours, between /beg/ and intermediate. But I've researched on the topic of drawing skills for a while, I hope that sharing some of my theories won't bother you.

Thing about drawing things is that some skills are transversal (skills whose progress transfer to another domain) while some are specifics (skills whose progress are independent).

A few years ago I've read a thread and Noah Bradley who is despite being really good at rendering stuffs (highly prolific at zero perspective landscapes, he would be like 7+), and when commissioned to do a human body sketch(Spiderman) on reddit... It turned out very bad... Around /beg/ tier.

Then on a blog post he shared a drawing of his and his friend doing imagination drawing of a horse... Which looked more like a stickman donkey than a horse. It reminds me of Proko's attempt at imagination drawing. Yes it was that bad. It was like a child who picked up drawing for a few minutes. So we have the "you can't be good at something that you don't understand", and to understand something we need to "practice". The understanding of subject matter doesn't transfer. (Which is also why we get individual books and tutorials on different parts of the body)

Then you got these underpaid Japanese animators who can sketch some figure in a complex perspective setting casually. Some of them don't start off very skilful (quoting from Thomas Romain) but the more they draw, the better they got good. Perseverance is the key. Animators work with complex and diverse movements, and that grind their skills a lot. You simply can't get good at something you never practiced. But since animators don't get to render as much... Have you seen any animator posting beautifully rendered pictures? Some of them have a pixiv and their rendering is lacklustre. Rendering (beautifully) is a skill that is separate from drawing.

Continued->
>>
>>3119244

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same Anon. If he put the same effort into drawing as he does into larping, maybe he wouldn't need to larp at all.

Like I said, I would never make a thread to be an asshole. I welcome criticism, always.
>>
>>3119245
Then we have Kr0npr1nz, hated by ic, but is still skilful when it comes to copying accurately from photos. He has experience in observational studies, and that is one of the skills that transferred. While he is technically great, his composition is boring (subjective), a " skill " that is not attained by grinding photorealism.

Another reason why some people who can draw animu can't draw animals. Because visual library of a different subject doesn't transfer.

So you have these subset of skills, and each delve into a different route... Like a mmorpg character:

1. Theory of perspective (only covers the basic, such as 1 point and 2 point); applies to all domains.
2. Construction(the theory will transfer to all domains); choose one field of specialty aka area of study/visual library (landscape, humans, animals, cars/planes/geometrical objects)
3. Theory of perspective (foreshortening for organic subjects/color theory or atmospheric perspective for landscape/3 point perspective and curvilinear for objects)
4. Rendering (applies to all domains); read on Robertson and Gurney.
*Eyeballing skills/accuracy/speed grows naturally if you focus on construction studies regularly.
EX: composition; not necessary but a little extra bonus point if you've got that nailed down. It goes hands in hands with storyboard and framing.

Then rinse and repeat after 4 for step 2-3 until you've become the master of some things that you're satisfied enough with. Let's say that these "skills" can be graded from 1 to 10, mostly I base off the average from what I could see of their work.
>>
>>3119254
What kind of visual library should I have when I mainly draw big-bottomed anime girls?
>>
File: How to draw 2b.jpg (42KB, 900x731px) Image search: [Google]
How to draw 2b.jpg
42KB, 900x731px
>>3119284
one with lots of circles would be my guess
>>
>>3119245
First of all, you're a complete retard is you think Noah Bradly's landscapes require zero perspective. Just because the perspective is more loose doesn't mean you don't need it. And second, yes I have seen animators render well. Your point is invalid. I have seen just as much animators who are horrible at rendering as any other field(illustration, comics, conceptart, etc)
>>
>>3119284
Anime girls are still stylised humans. So just get some genetic reference for the basic female anatomy, it'll transfer over. For the asses, take a long look at actual photos with asses that you appreciate and try to analyse the little lines/edges that make them pop out. Then try to analyse the least amount of strokes needed to make them(from Bargue studies you'll learn that). Most importantly, have fun.

I'm more of a leg person so I can't say much for assess, but that's what I do and it works. For the faces, study your favourite hentai artist's works.

>>3119292
Zero point perspective is what Bradley uses for his pictures that don't have parallel structures. Some of his pics have, some don't. I even said that for geometrical structures that perspective IS necessary. And Bradley is a mix of that. But for those that just want to solely work on environmental design with no parallel structures? Then no it isn't necessary.

From Wikipedia on the article of Perspective
"Because vanishing points exist only when parallel lines are present in the scene, a perspective with no vanishing points ("zero-point" perspective) occurs if the viewer is observing a non-linear scene containing no parallel lines."

Perhaps this video will help you? https://youtu.be/vUe5s14m0qY

This is the second time of the week someone with argued me on that. If I'm ever wrong on this topic I apologise for the misunderstanding spread, but I think that my point can stand for now.

For the issue with animation. What I meant is that doing animation doesn't mean that they'll be necessarily good at rendering. Maybe I did not phrase correctly what I meant when I said that animators can't render and I'm sorry for causing you distress; but my last sentence in that paragraph's point still stands: >>Rendering (beautifully) is a skill that is separate from drawing.
>>
>>3119292
ZERO POINT PERSPECTIVE is a concept, this happens every time, stop being so new.
>>
>>3119099
No, you're not.
From what we can see you're only good at drawing vehicles in the same perspective setup.

Post some original drawings. Specifically, drawings that combine figures, lighting, and environments.
>>
>>3119317
not OP or the artist (which are two different anons if you haven't the thread), but this is typical pretentious critique. if i'm not mistaken these are studies from the scott robertson book, so of course one page will be all the same perspective and not have fucking figures and environments.
>>
>>3119328
If he's not drawing in figures and environments either, he's not fully applying the techniques.
>>
>>3119424
The artist is not the person who made the thread.
>>
File: Grasspupper.png (361KB, 1218x852px) Image search: [Google]
Grasspupper.png
361KB, 1218x852px
>>3119424
>>3119424
>>3119443

I am the guy who made those drawings, I do not have much to show off as I am still trying to improve my XYZ section drawing skills before I move onto rendering. I draw mostly vehicles and insects because it is my main area of interest, but I do plan on learning anatomy/composition once I really have a good grasp on the more advanced parts of Perspective.

I have tried to pretty much trying to copy the FZD syllabus the best I can for the last 8 months since I started, I know those guys do a lot of sketching/cubes and sphere painting and specially Perspective before bothering with serious painting skills like values/color theory or even drawing scenes with figures to work on composition.
>>
>>3119460
you're doing good anon, way more than any shitter around here.
>>
>>3119487

Thank you, Anon.
>>
>>3119460
You already got advice in another thread. What more do you want?
>>
>>3119519

>You already got advice in another thread. What more do you want?

Nothing at all, Anon. I was just clarifying I am not the person who made this thread.
>>
>>3119328
>but this is typical pretentious critique.

OP's question was "Am I good?" not "Am I studying scott's book correctly?"

learn to fucking read.

>>3119460
>but I do plan on learning anatomy/composition once I really have a good grasp on the more advanced parts of Perspective.

it's really better to start now. the more you delay the further you bury yourself in the comfort zone and you'll find it hard to get out of it.
>>
>>3119527
>it's really better to start now. the more you delay the further you bury yourself in the comfort zone and you'll find it hard to get out of it.

I have more than enough challenge getting proficient at model drawing at the moment, I'll move on to other subjects once I have completed a few more topics. I am in no rush anyhow, I do not plan on working on the industry or make a living off art.
>>
>>3119460
If the practice drawings are anything to go by you will basically be fine. It's true that you have talent, regardless of that fag who was pretending to be you. My advice still stands (which is Scott Robertson's book on rendering).
>>
>>3119527
>learn to fucking read.
this is so ironic, it's past funny. You learn to read, mofo. OP is not the artist, it's a fake troll pretending to be the artist. That info is just a few posts above you
>>
>>3120201
>Makes a thread seeking validation
>Gets shut down by /ic/
>starts backpeddling b-but i'm not the OP
>>
I was hoping this thread would be deleted by now...I am saging with my replies.

>>3120195

Thanks friend, How to Render is the next thing I'll dive into, I can't wait to bring constructions into life. I want to make sure I completely dominate all XYZ section skills first.

>It's true that you have talent

I honestly think it was just me focusing on replicating the FZD syllabus and learning construction for 14 hours a day when I first started. I've never been talented at drawing before I did that, in fact my drawings looked like something done by a 5 year old...

I think anyone here could do it too, you just have to put in the grind.
>>
>>3120340
fuck off you attention whore
>>
s a g e
>>
>>3119234
I figured you wouldn't be that retarded to make a thread like that. Did you make someone butthurt in an earlier thread?
>>
>>3119099
where the fuck is my bug car you hack?
>>
>>3122689
>Did you make someone butthurt in an earlier thread?

Looks like it, I guess the OP is someone who doesn't like getting told you can improve fast if you grind fundamentals and start with perspective.

I don't usually attack anyone, unless they are purposely giving shitty advice to newcomers like ''fundamentals are a meme'' ''Perspective is useless'' and ''mindless doodling is all you need''.

>>3122692

It's in my list of things to do, but not the highest priority. My main interest right now is getting over XYZ section drawing with my own designs from Orthos, I will likely do the bug car alongside a couple more things then, and afterwards jump into How to Render. The drawings the OP posted are more guesses than actual, genuine constructions and I want to change that for good.
>>
>>3119099
Yes
>>
>>3119099
How long did this take you?
>>
>>3123109

Around 10 to 12 hours total, done in a couple of days when I came off from work.
>>
>>3119099
the truck is too close to the vanishing point.
>>
>>3123435

Yeah, hardly something to put in a portfolio. Part of my studies now include making grids out of good real life shots to use them in my future constructions.

The next batch of constructions will be much better in all regards (except rendering).
>>
File: download (2).jpg (6KB, 225x225px)
download (2).jpg
6KB, 225x225px
>>3119099
Yes nigga
>>
Anyone working in the industry or as a freelancer in this thread?
>>
>>3124385
hi
>>
>>3124388

How far away do you think I am from getting a job? Think I could start working on a portfolio once I learn a bit of rendering?
>>
>>3124391
Getting a job drawing what? Vehicles and insects??? There's so much more to art then a couple referenced car shots and a few planes.
>>
>>3124402

I was talking in term of fundamentals, but I agree it might be better to ask that question once I have more diverse work to show off. It just seems like to me, once you understand basic fundamentals like perspective and rendering, the rest is just about gathering visual references and learning composition (and anatomy).

Do you disagree?
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.