[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you think professional feedback is critical as a beginner?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: bwsm1.jpg (62KB, 800x441px) Image search: [Google]
bwsm1.jpg
62KB, 800x441px
Do you think professional feedback is critical as a beginner? Should having a teaching/mentor be a requirement or you're doing yourself a disservice as a self-taught artist?
>>
>>3113838
yes. it's very important. you can kid yourself that you're doing just as well without one but it's wayyyyy less effective studying on your own, even with the internet.
>>
>>3113838
>Do you think professional feedback is critical as a beginner?

Yes, as long as you don't get mad easily with their criticism. (Young aspiring artists problems include having a condescending attitude)
>>
>>3113838
Professional feedback might be useful if you happen to get a time machine and get a professional from 60 years ago. Professionals nowadays don't teach you anything useful except where to find the gradient tool in Photoshop.
>>
>>3113838
Having good feedback will always speed things up, but it's by no means necessary. Also in the very early stages it's not that crucial since the mistakes you will be making are very basic and feedback from even a mediocre artist will help out a lot.
>>
>>3113838
It's mandatory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUycDAOzmyM
>>
>>3113861
So where is the proof that this guy improved from this critique? It still looks like a pain in the ass to animate that character.
>>
>>3113861
>This cause the guy to quit

Poor guy.
>>
>>3113904
One less furry in this world to be perfectly honest.
>>
>>3113838
Having an old, grizzled expro look at your work is a different feeling. You never really feel 'on the spot' until then. And I think that's an important feeling to know. Because it gives you depth to your preparation.
>>
File: 132154376587987897.jpg (104KB, 1515x467px) Image search: [Google]
132154376587987897.jpg
104KB, 1515x467px
>>3113861
>>3113838
>>
File: 7890.jpg (13KB, 246x138px) Image search: [Google]
7890.jpg
13KB, 246x138px
>>3113946
>ywn feel the force of Steve's forearm glide over your head as he gently whispers threats in your ear to "do it my way"
>>
>>3113838
Feedback is literally the only way to improve.
>>
>>3114006
it's really really really not.

Passion makes up for anything.
>>
>>3114026
good mindset, but if youre up against a wall, youre going to appreciate the shit out of someone who can spot your problem at half a glance.
>>
>>3114026
That's 100% bullshit.
Literally everyone "self taught" have all had feedback from various buddies within their groups or those in the industry. No point in taking school if you know people who can draw and are willing to redline your work every now and then.

Passion will keep you drawing, but not improve.
Feedback is literally the ONLY way to improve.

Serious; every fuckin' artists who ever got gud.
>>
analyzing your work on your own is a form of feedback too. Having experienced people lend you their feedback (or just by being around them and observing them as they work) speeds it up tremendously though.

Passion is insofar valuable in that pros love to help out passionate people that strive to make things happen regardless of help. I dislike helping people who don't do any exploring of their own and ask to be spoonfed every little step. They won't get anywhere anyways.
>>
>>3114038
>Feedback is literally the ONLY way to improve
Now, if you asked me, I could also bring forward another similar argument:
>Practicing different forms of art and different media is literally the ONLY way to improve
We both know that this is probably not wrong- but it is also not true. You will never get an in-depth understanding of art if you only stick to drawing or digital painting or what you have and never try sculpture or oil or video or installation or even performance, set and stage design or make up or literally anything else. But you will still improve.

Acoordingly, neither is what you said true nor is it wrong. It is true that if you want to drastically improve over a shorter time period you need outside help and people who can directly address your problems. However, improvements themselves already come from enough practice and repitition. It won't be that fast but it will inevitably come.
>>
>>3113838
>or you're doing yourself a disservice as a self-taught artist?
lol that's the dumbest assumption I've heard all year

Feedback is critical and being completely self-thought is retarded.
However professional feedback is not necessarily the best thing if you're new.
If you're new at art it's more important to listen to someone that's good at teaching than someone that's plain good, because if they can't get their point across it doesn't matter how good they are, you will not learn shit.

For example: my first figure drawing teacher was this traditionally trained Chinese dude that is fucking ridiculously skilled, but his Swedish and English was complete crap, so it was very difficult to understand what he was talking about, so you didn't learn that much beyond the absolute basics.
If I had him today tho, I would have been able to understand more from the way he drew instead of listening to his explanations, but as a newbie that stuff is a lot more difficult.
>>
What's infinitely more important is the ability to criticize yourself.
>>
>>3114026
Practice will keep you reinventing the wheel.

You will not improve unless you know what you've done wrong, and you will not know what wrong is unless you know what's right, and you will not know what right is unless someone else explains it to you.
>>
>>3116151
Passion*
godfuckingdammit
>>
>>3114026
>People actually believe this

Kys
Even artists like Bahi JD admit on twitter that he only got as good as he did because, since he learned japanese he spoke to various japanese artists on twitter and got redlines and borrowed their methods on how to draw. Had it not been for that he would have been garbage.
>>
>>3116227
shit I should pick up Japanese again...fuck I could be fluent by now. And here I have all these fresh new books sitting on my shelf in a lang I can't comprehend.

On the other hand on augmented screen autotranslation/voice translation is just around the corner
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.