[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pen vs Pencil

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 6

File: 1492728154904.png (2MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1492728154904.png
2MB, 1280x720px
Budget poorfag here

So, a friend of mine recently told me drawing with a pen was better overall, I tried a little bit and the drawings feel a little bit more ''vivid'' compared to regular pencil sketches without too much work done ( without shading ) but I feel it would be worse in the long term specially to someone learning

Since with a pen I don't have the option to erase and sketching is harder than ever, since I have less freedom to sketch and every line is permanent, so every stroke I do on the paper must be as precise and necessary as possible

So I want to know the opinion of you guys on how you feel what to use or even when to use those 2, if possible keep the conversation focused on these 2 only
>>
>>3113366
pen is better because it forces you to think about your lines before you put them down on the page. that's good, it leads to better draftsmanship and faster artistic growth.

Also pen holds up better over time in a sketchbook.
>>
>>3113369
What about construction lines and such. When I draw loomis heads and shit there's a lot of lines I end up wanting to erase
>>
>>3113366
I usually use pencil when i do studies or some serious sketch that requires time and thinking
When i feel like i want to do fast sketches from imagination (which usually end up mostly as recreations of what I've learned) i use pen, these r mostly just exercises for muscle memory and a way to relax
Sometimes it just depends on a mood desu, i experimented with a lot of tools when i was starting, and the best is honestly the one that you enjoy the most because it will just make you want to draw more (ripped off advise that i heared about tooth brushes and brushing teeth)
>>
>>3113366
If you're poor you should use pencil since it's cheap as fuck. Pens are expensive.
>>
I mostly do pen because I was in the habit of erasing and redrawing over and over, which wasn't very good.
Also a bit more convenient.

But I don't think it matters otherwise.

>>3113470
Just don't draw them very strongly and it's no problem.
>>
>>3113366
You can get a lot of value from one ballpoint pen with crosshatching since the lines are more definite, but I wouldn't suggest using it for things like character design or proportion studies, since i think being able to fix your mistakes in pencil is valuable for really nailing down a concept. Both have their pros and cons - both are really cheap, you can find 12 packs of either at any dollar store, so go wild and have fun learning which fits your uses best.
>>
>>3113366
OP here

Thoughts? I don't know if you can see it in the pic but pen smudged even more than pencil, tho this may be the shitty office paper fault
>>
File: 20170826_191318.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170826_191318.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
>>3114146
Forgot pic because I'm retarded
>>
If you use pencil, make sure to use the side of the pencil for shading. You can get kind of a charcoal like thing going on. For pen shading, it's pretty much going to be crosshatching, maybe a wash if you are going to be fancy.

It's a matter of preference really.
>>
>>3114149
Post separate pics
>>
>>3114149
Pretty cute are they stylizations from some anime or something
>>
>>3114149
necks are too thick

make bottom half even more flatter and squatter
>>
File: mousegir.jpg (40KB, 592x716px) Image search: [Google]
mousegir.jpg
40KB, 592x716px
>>3114149
>>3114869
hope you dont mind.
>>
>>3114887
I'm trying to find a confortable/fast yet good looking style for my comic, so thanks I really appreciate it
I never noticed how her necks were so big! Gonna do a proper study later
>>
File: 20170828_000148.jpg (3MB, 2066x2921px) Image search: [Google]
20170828_000148.jpg
3MB, 2066x2921px
>>3115437
>>
>>3113470
if you still need to rely on construction lines then use them and deal with the reality that you will have shitty end products because you are still studying.
>>
>>3115534
>rely on construction lines
Implying
>use them to deal with reality
What else are you gonna use them for?
>still studying
Kek ok will let you know when I stop studying then
>>
>>3115692
way to get so defensive no one can continue the dialogue.
>>
>>3113470
You can use a ballpoint pen and draw lightly, then switch to a felt-tip or fineliner pen for the final drawing. Another option is to do the construction lines with a red or blue ballpoint pen, so your final black lines stand out more. There are plenty of tutorials showing how to digitally edit blue pencil marks out of pencil/pen drawings and the same principle can be used working entirely with ballpoints.

Plain Bic Crystal Sticks are actually great drawing tools. A dozen Papermate Flairs is around $6 and you can get a huge range of lines out of them.
>>
>>3113470
Don't draw them.
>>
>>3115437
Wheres the update faggot
>>
>>3113366
As a fellow budget fag my vote goes for pen because the contrast it makes with the paper makes it more clean and overall good looking specially when you scan it, the only thing it can't compete vs pencil is shading since shading with a pencil is way more consistent and allows you a insane variety of shadows

I use a bic crystal with office paper the smudge sucks but its bearable most of the time, you also get used to the smell of pen ink with the time
>>
>>3113366
>draw with pen
>shade drawing with pencil
>>
I usually use pencil, if I come up with something I think is good enough to deserve further refinement I use a pen and light board to make a lineart for scanning.
>>
>>3113470
>construction lines in pencil
>draw over construction lines in pen
>erase pencil lines

Easy enough???????
>>
>>3115534
At what point are you supposed to stop using construction lines
>>
>>3118503
When you can draw accurately without them
>>
>>3113366
>budget poorfag

just take ballpoints from the bank or car dealerships. pen is good for learning because it's a very honest medium, you can't trick it into thinking you're any better than you actually are. it also forces you to think about your lines before you commit to making a mark which is a good way to get rid of chicken scratch
>>
File: 20170830_221419.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170830_221419.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
>>3118321
I know I suck but your advice still is bad
>>
>>3118648
Steal a black pen asswipe
>>
File: 20170831_034332.jpg (2MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20170831_034332.jpg
2MB, 4128x2322px
>>3118665
>Steal
I ain't no nigger

Anyways, heres a 30min pen-only sketch, I adopted some suggested changes, the head is still on my style but I made the body leaner, the neck thinner and they have ballerina legs now

Please tell me what you think whoever is reading this

( Also holy fuck, the pen's ink holds decently on the paper but the pen itself unloads inconsistent amounts of ink, sometimes it seems like the pen is fucking cumming )
>>
>>3118512
>just take ballpoints from the bank or car dealerships
Ballpoint pens actually have a shelf life of a couple of years. Although you can often still write with them after that, the ink won't flow as smoothly as a new pen. Places that give out branded pens probably got a big box of them years ago. A dozen Bic pens is a little over a dollar. Buy new pens you shut-in fucks. Now's the time to buy them because places have fresh stock they bought for the back-to-school rush.
>>3118961
Looks like every other chicken-scratched amateur chibi sketch. Buy a new pen and git gud.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.