[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the red flags that you are learning from a bad source?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

File: e9c.png (649KB, 390x1600px) Image search: [Google]
e9c.png
649KB, 390x1600px
>>
They insert personal biases and are aggressive.
>>
anything that's uses titles like "awesome secret tips and tricks from the pros" is enough to deter me
>>
>>3110543
So every digital art school ever?
>>
>>3110257
To name a few

Blatant misinformation (mostly an issue in youtube, but I've found errors in books and gnomon videos that make me hesitant to recommend them to friends)

Focus on process instead of theory.

When the advice just boils down to practice a lot/do a lot of studies/visualize and they aren't giving you any guidelines of what to look for when practicing

poorly organized information/incoherent message (again, more common on youtube. a lot of artists just record themselves talking for 30 minutes and put it up without editing.)
>>
>>3110604
>I've found errors in books and gnomon videos
Can you give some examples?
>>
>>3110625
David chelsea's book perspective for comic artists says that a sphere in perspective is an ellipse, which is false, a sphere in perspective is always a circle (confirmed in scott robertson's how to draw) it also has a page telling readers that if you're drawing a landscape with ellipses on the ground the should all be angled slightly toward the middle of the page, and says something like "it just looks better, i don't know why." As someone literally writing a book on perspective he should know why. It's because the minor axis of an ellipse lines up with the axis perpendicular to its face, since we literally never see the world in 1 or 2 point perspective it looks unnatural when they all lie flat with their minor axis pointing directly up. If you take this advice and tilt ellipses in what is clearly a 1 or 2 point perspective drawing it clash with the rest of the drawing and the final result will look off.

David finch's how to draw the head gnomon series gives the wrong proportions for facial features. He also mentions that he draws all female characters with the exact same face and just different hair because "this face is the most attractive face why would you ever change that." the comic industry has changed a lot in the last 10 years. Women are getting more complex roles than "love interest" and artists are expected to reflect that in our character designs.
>>
>>3110257
They make references to memes
>>
>>3110625
Why did you ask that?
>>
File: 1498448593716.jpg (60KB, 500x364px) Image search: [Google]
1498448593716.jpg
60KB, 500x364px
Everything that doesn't come from /ic/
>>
>>3110647
Thanks for the answer.
>>3110687
Just curious. Why did you ask that?
>>
>>3110827
curious from the vague wording
what were you expecting as an answer?
and why did you say thanks?
>>
>>3110842
>what were you expecting as an answer?
I don't know, I didn't really think about it.
>and why did you say thanks?
Because anon took the time out of their day to write this. And since I was already posting anyways to answer your question I might as well acknowledge the answer post to my question and this seemed a more appropriate reply than just "Oh, ok". Is it weird to say thanks?
>>
>>3110903
>I didn't really think about it.
But you are aware of some of the "books and gnomon videos" implied right? And I take it you have studied a few of those items?

>Is it weird to say thanks?
No, but by your questioning it already seemed as if you weren't all that interested to begin with. So why be polite all of sudden?
>>
>>3110964
Golly, he was just being normal and decent. Not implying he is a normy, god forbid.
>>
>>3111119
Normal means there would be effort to clarify a few things so as to get the best answer. Decent means there would be effort to encourage a good response. Did either really happen?
>>
>>3111174
Take my (you), anon, you deserved it.

Not really, but you seem so hungry for them...
>>
>>3111191
Answer the question
>>
>>3110647

Earth is flat.
>>
red flags:
>information is sorted into little chunks helpfully arranged around the relevant parts of the demonstration drawing
>concise and easy to read

good signs:
>giant paragraphs with few line breaks isolated from their demonstration drawings
>lots of jargon and complicated descriptions that are hard to visualize
>>
>>3111751
what
>>
File: AUTISM.png (426KB, 851x851px) Image search: [Google]
AUTISM.png
426KB, 851x851px
>>
File: big AUTISM.png (3MB, 2835x2835px) Image search: [Google]
big AUTISM.png
3MB, 2835x2835px
>>3112200
>>
File: 1443839950969.jpg (36KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1443839950969.jpg
36KB, 600x800px
>>3110257
I don't find their work intrinsically appealing.
Thats pretty much it.
>>
>>3112200
>>3112202
Still, haven't answered the questions
>>
>>3112312
Is it bad that I immediately thought this was some college kids senior art project?
>>
Any tutorial with a bunch of color swatches saying these are the colors I used and every god dammed tutorial about mixing the perfect skin tone is probably shit.
>>
File: 1466457514279.jpg (86KB, 520x678px) Image search: [Google]
1466457514279.jpg
86KB, 520x678px
>>3112202
>>3112335
t-this is all a ruse cruise, yeah? /ic/ has never really been this retarded, yeah?
>>
>>3112335
What was the question?
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.