[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If you're a beginner don't draw from imagination

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 254
Thread images: 42

File: photo.jpg (77KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
77KB, 900x900px
If you draw from imagination and you're a beginner, you're going to be internalizing bad habits that will be harder to break later. Don't fall for the proko meme. Drawing from observation until you're good at it. Only afterwards should you attempt imagination. For example, let's say you draw a 100 bad hands and you internalized 10 of them, that's 10 bad hands you have committed to memory that you're going to have undo in the future. Save yourself the trouble and learning how to draw from observation properly first.
>>
ok thanks broko
>>
>>3109989
He's right you know. Even Vetyr said that she spend the first year studying and that seemed to help her a lot. She only tackled imagination once her observational ability was high enough.
>>
Are you saying you never drew from imagination as a child? I don't think that hurt me one bit.
>>
>>3109988
post your work, this is just retarded.
>>
File: 12354567898.jpg (122KB, 1876x267px) Image search: [Google]
12354567898.jpg
122KB, 1876x267px
>>
>>3110021
>She only tackled imagination once her observational ability was high enough.

How do you know when it's high enough?
>>
>>3110021
>Vetyr
are you the same anon that keeps bringing this girl up in threads and posts? she's not that popular.
>>
File: SJS study3.jpg (383KB, 1000x1191px) Image search: [Google]
SJS study3.jpg
383KB, 1000x1191px
>>3110026
You're a perfect example of this NoseBro. You just keep making the same silly mistakes over and over again because you've internalized too many bad habits.

Also, that's my work. BTFO you ain't even close to my level nosecuck
>>
File: 1234567890-.jpg (52KB, 1884x194px) Image search: [Google]
1234567890-.jpg
52KB, 1884x194px
>>3110032
>>
>>3110036
>not hiding Nosetard posts
>>
>>3109988
>tfw talented and no need to study anything just go straight into imagination drawings and be successful

Feels good being talented.
>>
>>3110037
why are you posting these screenshots? i don't getit.
>>
File: holding my head laughing.jpg (44KB, 639x418px) Image search: [Google]
holding my head laughing.jpg
44KB, 639x418px
>>3110026
>>3110036
HOLY FUCK NOSEBRO BTFO.
GET DICKED LMAO
>>
>>3110044
Just to support OP. He's right after all
>>
>>3110049
can you link to original thread?
>>
>>3110036
Does your brush have opacity set to pen pressure?
>>
Guys, his source is one (!) artist, and himself! This must be true. Disregard pretty much every professional artist that doodled stuff from imagination ever since their childhood! Don't be creative! Draw cubes until anon stops saying loomis.
>>
>>3110071
>one (!) artist
>Vilppu
>Hampton
>Watts
>Bobby Chiu
>Imperial Academy of Arts
>Kim Jung Gi himself
>etc etc
Kill yourself retard. You don't even draw
>>
>>3110045
>He didn't reply

Truly BTFO'd
>>
>>3110080
I draw, bro.
I think the ratio is important. If most of what you do is from imagination and you don't observe, then sure that's really stupid. But it's useful to engage your brain and apply what you've learned. An original piece from "imagination" can still include lots of studying of reference material. Say you set yourself the goal to create a remix of two existing artworks. You will be creative but you also study a metric fuckload, perhaps even more than if you were just replicating those two pieces on their own.

I seriously doubt these people didn't use their imagination AT ALL until they were intermediate.
>>
>>3110109
>An original piece from "imagination" can still include lots of studying of reference material.
define referencing you dumb fuck
>>
>>3110119
ref·er·ence
ˈref(ə)rəns/
noun
noun: reference; plural noun: references

Use of a source of information in order to ascertain something.
>>
File: teb.jpg (173KB, 593x737px) Image search: [Google]
teb.jpg
173KB, 593x737px
>>3110119
Observing yourself with the relevant pose & light setup, photos, etc.

I sense a lot of internalized douchiness in you. Back to the The Etiquette Book with you.
>>
>>3110109
Stop trying. No one in sane mind will take you seriously after this post
>>3110071
You're just NoseBro without nametag
>>
>>3110126
>>3110129
give an example of someone's reference material and the actual work that the artist did with it
I like to laugh at people who misuse the term "referencing"
>>
File: y43w.jpg (46KB, 900x851px) Image search: [Google]
y43w.jpg
46KB, 900x851px
>>3109988
Define "imagination" retard. If I take LSD I start seeing things things that, get this, aren't there. If I told a doctor that they would say "you're just imagining things". Those space ponies I saw floating in the sky were all just part of my imagination--it wasn't there.

But is this the job of an artist? A concept project starts from a script. Someone wrote a script while taking a shit and gave it to the manager so the concept guys can get started. The concept guys, while they boast about having a (((Visual library))) didn't truly come up with the concept themselves, the imagination, but it was handed to them in script. The idea man imagined something and the artist must take that imagination (what isn't there yet) and realize it.

Same with illustrators. A client has an idea, an imagination, and the artist fulfills the request with their technique. In one form or another you have ideas yourselves but you think of it in words before you put your pen to paper. Unless you're a nosebro who draws before he thinks that is the definition of imagination.

To draw what isn't there isn't the job of an artist. To draw what does not exist yet is the job of an artist. Everyone has ideas. Everyone has imagination.
>>
>>3110136
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lGtigVMC70
>>
Do both. Dont become Scroto Baggins a soulless technician.
>>
>>3110141
He means something like drawing a giraffe without looking at any references whatsoever.
>>
>>3110165
Why would anyone do that? Is OP mentally challenged?
>>
I don't get it, your first drawings from observation will be bad aswell, so you shouldn't start drawing at all, when you don't want to "internalize bad drawings"?
Drawing from observation is a crucial skill to have and a foundation for studying, but when you say something like "do nothing else until you're good at it", a lot of people will take that to the extreme, because they don't have an answer to that question >>3110033
People on here complain all the time, they never built a habit for drawing from imagination and are stuck drawing from refs.
>>
>>3110179
someone here is mentally challenged alright
(it's you, I'm talking about you)
>>
>>3110165
That's stupid. Animators use reference all the time despite their amazing draftsmanship. If they want to study giraffes in movement they would go to the zoo first. All this is, to me, is some sort of validation to normies that you "drew this out of your head :P" for upvotes. No one in the business world cares.
>>
>>3110182
This anon gets it, you'll always be drawing bad from the beginning, so OP is just trying to trick you into an unrealistic route.
>>
Why do you guys spend valuable time discussing this every other week? Every person is different and by consequence has their own path...
For every artist that grinded cubes and rendering for years, I could point you to passionate ones that just drew a lot, some who learned everything by actually working, some who received academic education...
Stop seeking validation for your study habits, do what works for you and keep moving forward, retards.
>>
>>3110219
>For every artist that grinded cubes and rendering for years, I could point you to passionate ones that just drew a lot, some who learned everything by actually working,
Okay, do so then.
>>
>>3110043
>not showing your work
Sure, we're gonna take you at your word. Not like anyone can pull a claim like this out their asses.
>>
>>3110129
Low key is this book useful?
>>
>>3110225
Bruce Timm

Sandro Cleuzo (2d animator who started as a animation studio intern)

JamesGurney (art college dropout, painted from life during a trip across the country and started working on the movie industry)

Mike Azevedo (just a passionate guy who painted whatever he wanted and guess what? From imagination. Check his old DA pieces)

Linnea Sterte (recently published "Stages of Rot", one of the "just drew a lot" type of artist, was decent even before going to college)

Jonathan Mathiasen (told me through DM's that the best advice he could give me was to draw a lot, learned how to paint just by toying around on photoshop)

If you really want to help the comunitty as a pro artist, just stop talking like there is just one path to becoming a professional.
>>
>>3110269
OP btfo
>>
Drawing from imagination and life are separate skill sets. Drawing from imagination is something you have to practice separately and is not something you magically pick up by doing life studies. I've first hand seen atelier people who produce beautiful still lives and model paintings who draw /beg/ tier from imagination.
>>
>>3110249
>he took the bait
C'mon anon
>>
>>3110271
No. >>3110032 >>3110037
>>
>>3110303
At the cost of less than 30 seconds and giving him a (You).

It ain't no skin off my back, that's for sure.
>>
>>3110269
>(told me through DM's that the best advice he could give me was to draw a lot, learned how to paint just by toying around on photoshop)

How post your art. You don't need fundamentals after all :)
>>
File: 12315437658968797.jpg (95KB, 1290x845px) Image search: [Google]
12315437658968797.jpg
95KB, 1290x845px
>>3110269
>Mike Azevedo (just a passionate guy who painted whatever he wanted and guess what? From imagination. Check his old DA pieces)
>Study from photo
>Study from photo
>Study from photo
???
>>
>>3110032
I disagree with this post. I've seen too many of these industry "pros" resort to photobashing and a liberal use of references into their work. There are some fundamentals that you can't leave out but it's wholly overstated just how skilled these people are.
>>
>>3110344
I don't think anyone cares about concept art trash here.
>>
>>3110338
yeah so he looked at a photo and painted it. Notice he doesn't have 6million drawings of Vilppu studies.
>>
File: 1433410391188414566.png (499KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1433410391188414566.png
499KB, 600x600px
>>3110329
I am not saying fundamentals are not necessary, just that OP's advice is not as helpful as he likes to think.
If he got good by just grinding fundies, good for him, but not all people are like him. I even pointed out professional artists that took other paths...
But yeah, good luck on your journey, let's see what happens first: you burning out or becoming a pro.

>>3110338
Now you are just lying, anon, come on...
>>
>>3110353
So you don't need to study anatomy, form, shadow, perspective, composition, gesture etc? Awesome! Keep going Nosebro
>>
>>3110036
>studies
kek
Do you not have any oc?
>>
>>3110357
You obviously do but this guy obviously didn't grind from life as much as you think he does. Look at all the other shit, almost all of it's from imagination with the occasional photostudy. He's learning all those concepts you've mentioned while doing work from imagination
>>
>>3110355
You're really delusional. Good luck.
>>3110360
Yeah he only draw 276 pictures in his whole life.
>>
File: asd.jpg (664KB, 1702x722px) Image search: [Google]
asd.jpg
664KB, 1702x722px
>>3110338
yea nevermind all his pieces from imagination
>>
>>3110369

>>3110032
>>
File: imagination.jpg (25KB, 407x286px) Image search: [Google]
imagination.jpg
25KB, 407x286px
>>3110373
Nobody said to not ever study reference material. We're arguing against never drawing from imagination until you hit point X.

Even the guy IN THE FUCKING VIDEO STARTED DRAWING FROM IMAGINATION. Now bye bye.
>>
>>3110272
this

The people who only draw from imagination and never improve are only like that because they don't analyze and critique their own work.

Drawing from imagination strengthens your visual library if you do it right. It gives you the opportunity to refine your understanding of the relationships of forms. For instance, I might try to draw draw a face from an unusual angle. Of course I'm not going to get it 100% right, but I'll redraw it several times, fiddling with the proportions and spacing of the features until I figure it out.

There are too many artists out there who have fucked themselves by never taking the time to draw from their heads. They might try once in a while, but become frustrated at how shitty their drawings look, so they rarely ever try again.
>>
>>3110379
It's pointless to discuss with the grinding bots, I gave up already
>>
Mike Azevedo in his "Color Fundamentals" video said you need to do thousands studies, sketches and finished works. But who cares.
>>
>>3109988
Everyone starts working from imagination before learning from authority. Ultimatedly the reason the last generation to produce good artists was Gen X, is because they were the las generation of artists who had access to study in person with other great artists, meanwhile we get Loomis and Proko.
>>
>>3110033
It's never high enough.
This shit is insecurity-inducing memes people in the lower ends of professionalism spout to stifle future competition.
>>
>>3109988
wrong. You should be drawing abstract shapes from imagination in order to internalize perspective.
>>
>>3110392
>shapes not forms
>>
>>3110379
>out of context
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOK2sDLtu2Q
Try harder.
>>
>>3110395
Except it wasn't? He's just saying it's better to help your imagination with references.
>>
>>3110394
you know what I meant
>>
>>3110399
Other people won't and that's where it matters.
>>
Fetishizing the grind is the perfect excuse for never getting anywhere. After all you can always claim to others and to yourself that you're "studying" even when you know you're not doing shit.
>>
>>3110395
Not at all. When he was a beginner he drew only from imagination. Now look at him. He was able to study later and turned out fine.

Stop giving advice that no real human being does. Beginners draw from imagination because it's fun. It's not going to ruin your artistic career, if anything it's what fills you with motivation and direction. "Hey drawing comics is fun, now I want to get better at it, I guess I'll read this book."
>>
File: 1373883150274.gif (2MB, 250x198px) Image search: [Google]
1373883150274.gif
2MB, 250x198px
>>3109988
OP don't you know we're supposed to cut down competition? I've been telling newbs

>draw a lot from imagination, it's bad to draw from reference or you'll end up being a human printer xD
>work on your fundamentals and only fundamentals, whatever you do don't make finished pieces until you get gud or you'll end up like the losers on deviantart
>great artists don't copy, their work manifests purely from grinding fundies 16 hours a day for three years

It's amazing how many tards fall for that shit
>>
>>3110402
never going to make it

keep polishing those turds, i'm sure it's worth the less than 20 likes on tumblr
>>
>>3110412
>/ic/ playing that 5D chess where you don't know who to believe
>>
>>3110412
Nobody here says to never study references.
>>
>>3110402
Yeah. Learning takes effort.

Drawing from imagination all the time = no thinking = no improvement
Grinding the same shit all the time = no thinking = no improvement
Studying, then applying what you learned into a new piece without copying anything, fixing mistakes = requires thought. This is the actual learning process.

I can say for sure I've been stuck in both top periods for a very long time. First I thought I hated studying, been stuck in imagination loop. Then I forced myself to study, but ended up with endless perspective and box studies that got me nowhere. I'm not that great now but at least I know not to get stuck in auto-mode. If you're not actively thinking and solving problems as you work you're not actively studying.
>>
>>3110419

Nosebro says so.
>>
>>3110419
Not never, but they do say it's bad to do too much reference because you'll only be able to be a human printer which as /ic/ memes happens apparently. But those people are probably too stupid to draw from imagination anyways.
>>
>>3110426
There are definitely people stuck only studying refs and doing nothing else (I know someone). They're afraid to draw from imagination because they think they're not skilled enough yet. So they drone on with studies when really they could be having much more fun and actually express themselves.

I wouldn't go so far as to call them "stupid". We're all in this together.
>>
>>3110412
It's especially fun to tell them to draw things they've never seen before

>Draw a rhino from imagination anon :^)
>b-but I'm not sure what they look like
>don't be silly, you've seen them before so just draw
>(drawing is shit)
>keep it up anon, now draw 100 more rhinos from imagination and you'll be a pro in no time :-)
>>
>>3110456
>things nobody said, ever
>>
>>3110457
I don't say it so obviously, if you mask it in a load of theorizing you can fool more people than you'd think
>>
>>3110457
Pretty sure I did a post like that a few times in /beg/. Although they didn't usually deliver.
>>
>>3110415
Polishing turds is grinding, retard.
You faggots don't even know what side of the argument you're on anymore.
>>
>>3110462
>misleads people with the same hobby
Looks like you should grind therapy.
>>
>>3110470
It's just a different way of learning.
>>
Listen Nosebro. Draw from imagination. He's very good.
>>
>>3110482
Can someone show me nosebro's art?
>>
>>3110484
https://xnosebro.tumblr.com/
>>
>>3110487
omg he's shit.
Thanks anon
>>
File: viper3.jpg (23KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
viper3.jpg
23KB, 220x220px
>>3109988

Why is this even argued?

I thought it was obvious that you should have a solid understanding of fundamentals before you attempt to make your own shit.
>>
>>3110487
>https://xnosebro.tumblr.com/
He's not doing finished pieces, mostly disjointed shallow sketches, that's his weakness. The study to imagination ratio doesn't seem that bad. I wouldn't necessarily tell him to do more studies, but to make a finished illustration/comic/product. Then again if he's enjoying himself like this, it's fine.
>>
>>3110497
Oh, he's been doing studies alright, studies from animu and mango.
>>
>>3110493
>I thought it was obvious that you should have a solid understanding of fundamentals before you attempt to make your own shit.
But that's not the case??? A kid makes his own shit without a solid understanding of fundamentals. In fact, you should because why would you randomly hold yourself back from your own creativity?? Because fundamentals??? Because /ic/ told you?
>>
>>3110497
Exactly. Not sure why these faggots on here are always telling him to do finished. HE'S NOT TRYING TO BECOME A PROFESSIONAL, HE'S A FUCKING HOBBYIST, LET HIM DO WHATEVER THE FUCK HE WANTS TO DO. damn.
>>
>>3110500

>A kid makes his own shit without a solid understanding of fundamentals.

A kid makes bad art.
>>
>>3110502

Nobody would care if he didn't shitpost so much and constantly feed beginners advice despite his own lack of fucks given about his art.
>>
>>3110502
Then he may as well shut up and not give advice if his standards are so low. A hobbyist challenges himself constantly and produces better work each time. I don't see challenge nor improvement in that gallery: It's more of a collection of masturbatory drawings
>>
>>3110498
Nosebro doesn't do studies. Everything posted on there is from imagination.
>>
>>3110500

You are an absolute dumb fuck.
>>
File: 200px-Sonichu.jpg (16KB, 200x329px) Image search: [Google]
200px-Sonichu.jpg
16KB, 200x329px
>>3110498
So if he wanted to go pro these adjustments would prolly help:
- more finished pieces (automatically brings research and studies with it if you use your noggin)
- more studies of nature/real stuff

Doesn't seem like he's got completely the wrong idea.
>>
>>3110502
He's underage attention whore who shitting all threads. He's shitposting in this thread right now
>>
>>3110423
this
>>
>>3110514
>if he wanted to go pro

He needs passion first. I see no fire in his work, it's all indulgence.
>>
>>3110516
I'm pretty sure he's like 20-21
>>
>>3110497
He actually doesn't do any studies
>>
>>3110531
And yet he behaves like a 13 years old.
Stop samefagging, you stupid faglord
>>
>>3110539
Excuse me, but I'm not him. I'm just a BIG FAN of him, that's all. I even have his art plastered on my bedroom walls.
>>
File: tumblr_or1g7hDXDi1vvqp55o6_1280.png (240KB, 854x882px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_or1g7hDXDi1vvqp55o6_1280.png
240KB, 854x882px
>>3110487
fucking lol what is this
like raccoon boy or some shit why does he have patches of lighter skin under his nose
>>
File: tumblr_o7jk4yhUeY1vvqp55o1_1280.png (238KB, 1280x913px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o7jk4yhUeY1vvqp55o1_1280.png
238KB, 1280x913px
>>3110534
You don't have to copy a ref to study something. pic related

Maybe he's obnoxious (as namefags tend to be), but he doesn't seem to be on a bad path by and large.
>>
>>3110549
Looks diseased
>>
>>3110549
Better than you though faggot
>>
>>3110269
>OP never replies
And never come back to this board with your shitty advice
>>
>>3109988
This, I hate that "THERE'S NO RIGHT WAY TO DRAW, JUST BEE YOURSELF" moral being passed around, that's how we got calarts noodle arm shit everywhere
>>
>>3110648
while you're here please respond to >>3110036
you may have missed that comment while your head was still stuck up your ass for reasons nobody but you can comprehend
>>
>>3110670
What's there to say? He's garbage and he's only capable of making studies. Even a monkey can do that.
>>
>>3110688
lol
>>
>>3110688
Make a study like those then.
Show us that you're at least as good as a monkey.
>>
File: Lisa19.jpg (35KB, 572x413px) Image search: [Google]
Lisa19.jpg
35KB, 572x413px
>>3110688
Oh, hey little autismo, how are you doing today?
>>
>>3110021

She relies on Photoshop adjustment tools to make her painting look good. She only paint portraits based on ref and maybe some food studies.

If you want advice listen to someone who can actually draw from imagination. Preferably someone who is professional.
>>
File: laughing cheetah.jpg (84KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
laughing cheetah.jpg
84KB, 500x334px
>>3110717
>If you want advice listen to someone who can actually draw from imagination.

Like Nosebro, right?
>>
>>3109988
We're B/ic/ker now
>>
>>3110036
Finally! The HERO /ic/ needs!
>>
>>3110688
So are you saying you're worse than a monkey, then?
>>
>>3110760
Nosebro BTFO
>>
>>3109988
What do you mean by drawing from observation? Like copying correctly?
>>
>>3110036
>>3110026
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEWDhOXgUbY
>>
>>3109988
The only thing i can draw from imagination are drawings I've drawn already. So I guess I can only draw from memory.
>>
File: 106.jpg (86KB, 1200x714px) Image search: [Google]
106.jpg
86KB, 1200x714px
>>3110688
>nosecuck is this mad
>>
>>3110036
Are these blurry messes considered high level?

I always judge myself on how clearly I can portray form. When I just suggest details it feels like cheating because I'm leaning on the viewer's imagination to fill in gaps.
>>
>>3110688
Kek, stop scribbling NGMI sketches out of your ass and do some studies then, jellyboy.
>>
>>3110885
He's legitly autistic tho, he Pm'd me on discord and while at first I believed he was ironically shitposting he was actually legit and said so much retarded shit and typed so fast I had no other option but to block him.
>>
>>3110904
wow you seem hardass
>>
>>3109988
>Don't fall for the proko meme.
What's the proko meme in this context? And I'm not talking about the kangaroo.
>>
>>3110915
I thought the Proko meme was exactly what OP is saying we should do
>>
>>3110910
Hey nosebro, stop samefagging and do what [>>3110705] says
>>
>>3110915
the proko "meme" is that you should understand anatomy and the construction of the body so that when you draw from reference or imagination you're making informed decisions.
>>
File: bgreh.jpg (107KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
bgreh.jpg
107KB, 1280x720px
>>3110923
FOR THE LAST TIME IM NOT NOSEBRO
>>
>>3110886
lol post your work like that other anon did or shut the fuck up
>>
>>3110688
BTFO son. It's funny how you always talk shit about everyone else and ask them to post work but when someone asks you to do it you bitch out like a chicken shit faggot.
>>
>>3109988
who doesn't draw without a ref?
>>
>>3110717
>She relies on Photoshop adjustment tools to make her painting look good
but that's what matters the most in painting, being able to see and knowing what looks good, sure she might be useless at oil painting if she ever starts but at least she'll eventually know what to aim for
>>
File: 13257864634.jpg (74KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
13257864634.jpg
74KB, 300x300px
This is not how it works. You guys overthink this shit a lot.

Just fucking draw.

Draw from life, and draw from imagination. Use reference and do both.
>>
>>3110986
i'm /beg/. it was just an innocent question. dont be so insecure.

>>3110881
>>
>>3110717
>She relies on Photoshop adjustment

You need a nice cup of reality.
>>
File: 1.png (559KB, 796x960px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
559KB, 796x960px
>>3110886
The bottom study is pretty bad
I kind of suspect that the artist isn't that great because he only posted studies (which doesn't show the full range of his artistic ability) and only one of the three studies is rendered extensively.

As for capturing details, it's best to work from low detail to high detail when painting. Some areas like the face (in a full figure) or the eyes (in a portrait) require more detail, as a general guideline. Of course, you can experiment with different levels of detail yourself.
>>
File: Capture.png (525KB, 1825x1036px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
525KB, 1825x1036px
>>3110102
ive always been very upfront about not accepting studies as post your work examples. I can clearly see from his studies that he can't draw from imagination.
>>3110498
none of these are studies except for the gesture battles.
>>3110531
accurate!
>>3110549
i cant render yet, itll all work out eventually though.
>>3110648
not me
>>3110688
im not sure if this is a clever joke or irony
>>3110723
you could use some /advice/
>>3110885
i havent felt anger since 16, only disappointment.
>>3110954
it hurts my feelings how strongly you despise being taken for me.
>>3111003
lots of people. Me included. Try it.
>>
Loomis encourages drawing from imagination so does Vilppu. You don't learn bad habits if you keep experimenting.
>>
>>3111041
>says he doesn't draw with a ref
>draws from his memory and imagination which is a ref
NoseBro is a hack
>>
>>3111041

Hey, cumstain: >>3110705

We're waiting.
>>
>>3111027
No it wasn't an innocent question, stop back pedaling. You called his work a blurry mess and said that it was easy to get that level of detail because he's only "implying" it. Your work shows that you don't even have half the understanding that he does so you shouldn't be talking shit if your still a beginner man.
>>
>>3111046
1) thats not me
2) I don't do studies
3) Our goal is to be able to draw from imagination, thats all that matters.
>>
File: deminished doggo.jpg (114KB, 625x505px) Image search: [Google]
deminished doggo.jpg
114KB, 625x505px
>>3109988
You need a healthy balance. Ofcourse you run the risk of becoming too dependent on reference.

This is probably the best advice I ever got: Use the 60 40 ratio at all times. When painting or drawing or whatever 60% of what you make should be subject matter you are unfamilliar with or lack confidence in and 40% should be subject matter you feel comfortable with.

If you focus too much on stuff you think you can draw well, you become a one trick pony, if you focus too much on stuff you are not good at, you burn out and get too reliant on references.

You simply must train both your imagination (your ability to internalize and reproduce what you've learned) and your ability to gain more information (through observation/references)

At the very VERY beginning of learning to draw, obviously you have to focus on drawing from what's right in front of you, but that phase shouldn't last long. It's best to break habits the second they begin to form.
>>
>>3111066
How do you know when it's 60 40? Where do you draw the line?
>>
>>3111003
depends what youre drawing
do you have a ref from some abstract or physical alium and alium worlds?
>>
>>3111061
>i don't do studies
it shows

>Our goal is to be able to draw from imagination
it's an issue when your imagination is anime saturated derivative shit
>>
File: The NoseBro Method.png (538KB, 1000x904px) Image search: [Google]
The NoseBro Method.png
538KB, 1000x904px
>>3111041
>>
>>3111081
The left should be Brian since that's what Brian is doing.
>>
File: Capture.png (1MB, 2265x1294px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
1MB, 2265x1294px
>>3111074
wheres your derivative shit?
>>3111081
just give me time and ill render your conclusion invalid.
>>3111083
dyou make the thread too?
>>
>>3111083
Brian actually draws from life tho.
>>
>>3111090
>p-post your work

I will when you post a study and not shitty class doodles, bitch.
>>
>>3111090
why do you keep posting that shitty page of gestures like its some sort of accomplishment?
they are bad.
>>
>if who don't study faces you will unconsciously draw your own
>because you see it everyday in mirror
>NoseBro
HAHAHA
>>
>>3111041
You haven't improved one iota in over 18 months. In fact you've actually regressed.

Your autistic refusal to do referenced work is holding you back more than you can possibly conceive. Even when producing work from imagination, the skills of comparative measurement and understanding of light, perspective and form you acquire from reference and life drawing carry over. You're incapable of drawing a convincing 3D form due entirely to your own stupidity.
>>
>>3111034
Benjamin björklund is awesome.
>>
>>3111237
That's all he can do tho.
>>
>>3110036
wowee capped for future reference
>>
>>3109988
found the ngmi, if you didn't start drawing from imagination as a kid obviously you are not a creative person and should just quit. Wheres the raw passion to create? You will end up high technique, bad taste, zero spark.
>>
>>3111499
You didn't even understand what he's talking about.
>>
>>3111090
The only thing invalid is you.
>>
I don't know what to believe anymore
>>
>>3111823
Believe to anons who posted proofs.
>>
>>3110904
"shitposting" on discord? Put down the memes for a while will you.
>>
There is little harm in drawing from imagination as long as you use plenty of reference.
>>
I haven't laughed this hard at a namefag getting BTFO in a long time
never change
>>
Drawing from imagination is where a lot of your technique will come from. Drawing from observation / theory will build those more concrete skills.
>>
>>3111237
It's not bad, it's terrible
>>
>>3110033
When you can easily eyeball proportions when drawing from life and see the "lines" around objects.
>>
>>3110886
>When I just suggest details it feels like cheating because I'm leaning on the viewer's imagination to fill in gaps.

You are a fucking retard.
>>
>>3110924
What's that got to do with proko tho? He does that, and fuckton of others do too.

NoseBro is a great example of why nobody can take /ic/ seriously. The board is full of people that coincide with that level of skill vs. that kind of attitude. It's toxic.

I guess some people like the flat, pointed chin look that shows zero observation skills
>>
>>3109988
no fun allowed, the post.
>>
I guess I won't draw this picture I have in my head just for the fun of it until I've been drilling random hands and heads for three years then. Thanks for the insight, really very helpful.
>>
>>3110456
what a retard. If I were to draw 100 rhinos from imagination in a dark room, I promise you the last one will look way better than the first.
>>
>>3113190
hey retard, your imaginations isn't photographic memory.
how many horns a rino has?
see? Your memory isn't what you think it is.
>>
>>3113236
>tfw the bait is too big to swallow
>>
File: prokoroo.jpg (95KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
prokoroo.jpg
95KB, 1280x720px
The real joke is that after doing his one stream about drawing from imagination, Proko ended it by telling everyone not to be like him and only attempting to draw from imagination after having learnt to draw from models your whole life.
>>
>>3113236
This is almost like reverse bait dude get your game together
>>
File: firefox_2017-08-26_01-24-31.png (481KB, 927x655px) Image search: [Google]
firefox_2017-08-26_01-24-31.png
481KB, 927x655px
I just checked Proko's channel after a long time and I see he's doing a lot of caricature videos and related content, is this backlash of the big Proko Imagination drawing meme escapade ?
>>
>>3113321
Yeah /ic/ shitposting had a huge impact on him and he decided to turn his life around.
>>
>>3113321
not at all, he's been talking about doing a caricature course with that other dude for a while, this is all a part of that.
>>
>>3113321
idk what the fuck he's playing at, i've been waiting for the legs course for months.
>>
File: 1392238110904.jpg (33KB, 419x492px) Image search: [Google]
1392238110904.jpg
33KB, 419x492px
>>3113322
>>
>>3110456
Funny thing is that this is how i design creatures,i think of any animal i cant draw and that i cant remember and draw it,and the abomination that comes from this process is kept as a fantasy creature
>>
>>3110549
fritatta
>>
>>3114219
KEK
>>
File: C9lB4YfXsAApSi9.jpg (121KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
C9lB4YfXsAApSi9.jpg
121KB, 1200x1200px
>>3110026
>>3110036
>>3110688
that's just sad
>>
>>3110456
That's actually a really good exercise, except after you drew your shit the first time you should study rhino references and see what you did wrong, and then draw again.
>>
>>3114618
Kek have you not seen the "ask a pro artist thread"?
>>
>>3114790
have not, tldr ?
>>
>>3114844
op stole the art he posted
>>
>>3110021
>It’s important to note that I did purely studies for about a year- that is, almost no imagination drawings. Don’t do that. Please study and create side by side, even if you’re scared to try to work without refs. I guarantee you that it helps you absorb the study material way better.

From her tumblr.
>>
File: 1301072136686.jpg (3KB, 126x126px) Image search: [Google]
1301072136686.jpg
3KB, 126x126px
>>3111025
Hey now! Don't you dare shit on the classic /ic/ tradition of arguing on how to draw instead of actually drawing.
>>
File: 1363901418292.jpg (67KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1363901418292.jpg
67KB, 1024x768px
>>3113290
Question to people who never draw from imagination:

How do you tackle drawing outside of your studio/space-of-art?
Like if you're at a friend's house, or on the train, or at a café. Do you only draw what's around you? Because that is often so limited that the only way to make it fun is to at least add things from imagination.
>>
>>3113321
Staniel Prokopenko is not teaching the caricature course it's some other random dude he brought in for no apparent reason. I don't have that course so idk if it's good but it definitely veers away from prokos usually lessons of "fundamentals first" so it seems kinda pointless
>>
>>3114945
i basically try to draw something, erase, try again and fail
I've been getting better at just using my imagination (trying to draw stupid ideas, or just brainstorming)
This is also coming from someone who is pretty amateur
>>
>>3109988
How did this bait thread generate 200 replies?
>>
It seems like drawing from imagination would be better. drawing from a ref will teach you how to photocopy. Drawing from your own resources will get you to think critically about how things fit together in space (yes even anatomy which you hopefully study anyway).
>>
>>3116833
The question is, where does life drawing fit into all of this?

I could sit around and draw cubes/spheres/cones all day till I can construct anything from reference. But if I never learn to draw with detailed accuracy will I ever truly git gud?
>>
>>3110119
>>3110184
Man op didn't have his Wheaties this morning
>>
So this is the reason for the lack of anatomy courses. Proko's a dad now, and that baby drawing looks asian af.
>>
>>3110886
>When I just suggest details it feels like cheating because I'm leaning on the viewer's imagination to fill in gaps.

You're actually retarded desu
>>
>>3111025
>Just fucking draw.

NGMI
>>
>>3109988
How do I train drawing from imaginarion without drawing from life first thou
>>
>>3120389
By drawing from imagination and seeing how shit you are then fixing your imagination
>>
>>3111041
So is Nosebro just shitposting or is he actually this delusional.
>>
Is it weird if I can see images in my head with perfect clarity but just can't draw them? I am a new to drawing and I only want to draw so I can put my images on paper.
>>
>>3110036
aw shit niggaa!
>>
>>3109988
I love proko but honestly youre better off with loomis anatomy than that confusing bean bullshit
>>
>>3121185
>confusing bean bullshit
just because you don't get it, doesn't mean everyone else is retarded too.
>>
>>3113326
Just study loomis legs (its the same as his videos), im no expert but it seems to be pretty good
Im doing that then gonna try bridgman since that was his teacher
Bridgman is god tier to me
>>
File: 1504014630557.png (133KB, 837x794px) Image search: [Google]
1504014630557.png
133KB, 837x794px
>>3121186
I understood loomis better in two days compared to a week of where the fuck do these squares go and should they be the same? I dont know because I didnt buy premium proko
>>
>>3121186
Proko spotted
>>
File: 1485458733068.jpg (40KB, 634x646px) Image search: [Google]
1485458733068.jpg
40KB, 634x646px
>>3121186
begone proko
>>
>>3118865
>born on late August
>that means he was conceived around early December
>the infamous "drawing from imagination" stream happened on December
>tfw Proko realized he fucked up hard and decided to have a son and turn him in everything he wanted to be
>>
File: 7c9.png (83KB, 790x773px) Image search: [Google]
7c9.png
83KB, 790x773px
>>3121428
well shit
>>
>>3113290
This guy is absolute D Rank.

This is living proof, once you can hold a pencil stop ""copying"" and turn your reference on the page in the imagined 3D space. I'm not a feng zhu dickrider but his insistence on perspective as your foundation is spot on.

If you can't realize a 3D space on a 2D page what the even fuck are you doing? This is Scarface pencil drawing at the mall tier, just your subject matter is nude models and drapery.
>>
>>3121428

>TFW his son is Asian, he gonna make it.

I think Proko realised that whites have limited mental capacity so will never be able to draw from imagination so went with an Asian girl.

Lets face it whites will never have the mental capacity to draw from imagination.
>>
>>3121653
>have the skill of proko plus the ability to draw from imagination
Is this the next coming of Picasso?
>>
>>3121665
There are literally hundreds of thousands of artists who have the skill of proko and the ability to draw from imagination.
>>
>>3110033
Draw something from imagination. Hide it for two-three days. Look at it again after that. If it's just fucked up and not FUBAR, it's enough.
>>
File: 20170821_003818-1.jpg (140KB, 791x1580px) Image search: [Google]
20170821_003818-1.jpg
140KB, 791x1580px
>>3111090
And i thought my art was shit.
>>
>>3121902
His is still better, actually. Your art is worse from what I can tell
>>
>>3110036
do you have any portfolio or social media? I love love love this
>>
>>3121902
I hate to say that, but Nosecuck is a tiny hair ahead of you.
>>
>>3111090
You've been reposting this same image for weeks, do you even draw anymore?
>>
>>3121919
https://www.instagram.com/uiriamu/
>>
>>3122053
>>3121918
I started getting serious maybe two months ago. It sounds like he's been here for years.
>>
>>3122202
So what? You've been drawing longer than 2 months. Besides, there is something called diminishing returns. In other words, there won't be huge difference in your art 1 year from now so move around with that "I've been drawing a few months and look how good I am already" bs.
>>
>>3122213
DUNNINGOS KRÜGEROS
>>
>>3122056
it takes like 2 weeks to fill one of those though.
>>3121902
i hope youre baiting
>>
>>3122337
>2 weeks
man you keep making yourself out to be stupider and stupider
goddamn I wish /ic/ was a faster moving board so nobody would have to see your shit ass posts
either that or for you to get a fucking clue, but that obviously isn't going to happen anytime soon
>>
>>3109988
>Don't fall for the proko meme.
what's that?
>>
>>3122057
you are quite good. what are you doing on 4chan?
>>
>>3113290
>>3121283
I missed this meme. Is this something he drew or what? What's the context.

>>3122337
>it takes like 2 weeks to fill one of those though.
I'm seriously considering that you're just pretending to be retarded now.
>>
File: 1504038939131.jpg (249KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
1504038939131.jpg
249KB, 1366x768px
I've honestly been considering just doing nothing but drawing from reference with some occasional tracing for the next year because trying to draw from imagination makes me irrationally angry because of how bad I am at it. I figure if I draw and trace the figure enough times while training my memory to remember forms well enough I'm bound to get better, even just a little. As it Is, I don't know enough to draw from imagination; everything ends up looking like shit and it really discourages me and puts me in a bad state of mind. To the point where I give up drawing every week or two even though it's the only thing in life I actually care about.
>>
>>3124327
Dude, there's nothing wrong with drawing from life or references, in fact, there's EVERYTHING wrong with drawing from imagination when you're beginner/intermediate. You need to learn from SOMEWHERE where muscles go, how perspective works etc. Are you supposed to make up everything? That's counter productive. When you draw you have to think about what you're drawing, you have to be concious of the subject, you need to give every line a purpose, not just thoughtlessly copying what you're seeing.
>>
>>3122339
>>3122749
why is it so hard to believe that a page of pages of sketches takes roughly 2 weeks?
>>
>>3124365
I assumed it took you a few hours judging your speed from your streams. I can crap out the exact same amount of drawings in 2 hours.
>>
>>3124335
A problem I have is that even when drawing from reference things still look inaccurate and janky sometimes. It's like my hand refuses to do what I want it to; almost like I'm lacking something that other artists have. My figure studies are far from accurate and I don't know how to get them looking better without straight up tracing.
>>
Just started doing some imagination stuff, i feel it goes like this:

You tackle things with shit results for some time, then look up references, work on them and incorporate them, then imagination some more. I believe this process creates more hook points in your mind, makes things more tangible and purpose filled for you which should increase retention.

Still, it's all about finished pieces and how beautiful and interesting you can menage them to be and there is a good chance you will run into problems if you can't come up with some interesting shapes and in any case reality will need some adjustments to make it more interesting so imagination will still do some work.

The absolute beginner should become aware of basics which are pretty simple and then push limits that one feels are the most urgent for oneself at a time, going for finished pieces will expose those limits.

In any case everything is a tool to compose the stuff that you want. Is imagination the most urgent tool to learn when you can't grasp what makes place a place, characters look "natural" and how does stuff look 3d? Not really. For thumbnail sketching of characters and compositions? Sure.
>>
>>3110036

the drawing is good, but the paintings suck dick. you are not paying any attention to the details or the generalities of your paintings.
>>
>>3124840
Post your work
>>
File: twilight.jpg (287KB, 1376x1250px) Image search: [Google]
twilight.jpg
287KB, 1376x1250px
>>3124842
>>
>>3124847
hot
Thread posts: 254
Thread images: 42

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.