[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why cant evangelicals into art?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: 1503340082467.jpg (130KB, 700x429px) Image search: [Google]
1503340082467.jpg
130KB, 700x429px
why cant evangelicals into art?
>>
Because evangelicalism doesn't lend itself to art. I grew up Southern Baptist in Alabama. I drew lots of art with orcs and trolls and shit because I was into LotR and Warcraft, and this one lady at my church kept urging me to stop drawing "demons" and use my talents "to serve the lord." So right off the bat you're limiting what kids can draw, hell even Bosch and Michelangelo drew demons. Some Catholic art from centuries ago has limp dicks and breastfeeding titties, which would give evangelicals a heart attack even today.

So in the end you're aspiring to be another Thomas Kinkade, but with less cabins and more angels. You're not looking at and being influenced by the best art that history has to offer, you're not studying the nude figure, and most importantly:
your audience doesn't give a single flying fuck. you think little old ladies and youth pastors even know the art sucks? these are, excuse the pun, total philistines. moreover, they don't even care if it's that good in the end, they still sing their hearts out every sunday knowing good and well they can't even carry a beat, but it doesn't matter. ideologically, it's about praising god, and the art is an offering to the lord. So if you tried your best or thought nice things about jesus while you made it, that's enough.
>>
>>3107980
i think it goes against the concept of not worshipping false idols in their beliefs. So no evangelical church would pay an artist to depict bible scenes and stuff.
>>
>>3108006
Not true. Megachurches are the worst for prominently displaying this kind of art all over the place.
>>
>>3108006
I've never seen this sort of artwork in an evangelical sanctuary, but I can imagine it hanging in church offices, the foyer, hallways, etc. It doesn't constitute idolatry either way, evangelicals only apply that to the statues and icons of saints that are meant to be venerated.

It's not just their visual art, it's their music and movies as well. It's all safe, sentimental, and sanitized. Creating evangelical art is an exercise in pandering and propaganda these days, it's all very surface and lacks soul, which could really describe much of modern Christianity itself.
>>
>>3108008
>>3108018
oh yea i was thinking about european protestants, which seems to be very different.

Then again, was there every any good religious art in america? I don't know any religious art after 1850ish
>>
>>3108008

Those aren't actually proties.
>>
>>3108026

Proties lack imagination, the Bible hates it as well, with their Imagination stunted they never practice in childhood or their teens, so they lack vision and talent. Brain plasticity stops at 25-ish
>>
>>3108029
>plasticity stops at 25

so I might as well not even bother trying to learn to draw at this point?
>>
>>3108029
>Brain plasticity stops at 25-ish

0/10 bait
>>
>What is the outcome then, brethren? When you assemble, each one has a psalm, has a teaching, has a revelation, has a tongue, has an interpretation. Let all things be done for edification.

Not to undercut anyone but I've always seen Protestantism, with its sports and career-focused
orientation, to be somewhat like a Greek gymnasia. It's never surprised me that a football coach or a Christopher Hitchens could steal away so many Evangelical believers in a heartbeat, since Protestantism is partly an early example of Individualism and Rationalism within religion.
>>
File: image.jpg (655KB, 1032x1257px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
655KB, 1032x1257px
>>3108192 #
Of course it's good to have a religious orientation, but if you view your life and your work as a sport, it's not always conducive to self-sacrifice.

Think of what N.C. Wyeth stated to his son Andrew. N.C. fostered an inner self-confidence to follow one's own talents without thought of how the work is received. N.C. wrote in a letter to Wyeth in 1944:

>The great men [ Thoreau, Goethe, Emerson, Tolstoy] forever radiate a sharp sense of that profound requirement of an artist, to fully understand that consequences of what he creates are unimportant. Let the motive for action be in the action itself and not in the event. I know from my own experience that when I create with any degree of strength and beauty I have no thought of consequences. Anyone who creates for effect—to score a hit—does not know what he is missing!

In the same letter, N.C. correlates being a great man with being a great painter: To be a great artist, he described, requires emotional depth, an openness to look beyond self to the subject, and passion. A great painting then is one that enriches and broadens one's perspective.
>>
File: 1lSLNFmk_A4.jpg (65KB, 600x440px) Image search: [Google]
1lSLNFmk_A4.jpg
65KB, 600x440px
>>3108200
It's what I needed to read, thank you.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.