[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How important is variety to you when it comes to art?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: rough5_by_endling-d4nszzx.jpg (223KB, 605x1322px) Image search: [Google]
rough5_by_endling-d4nszzx.jpg
223KB, 605x1322px
I've seen countless artists who are good(for example drawing anime girls) but they do it again and again and again and after a while it becomes repetitive and boring. Personally, Ill take the skill set of someone who is good at many things like varying faces, backgrounds, animals, different body types over someone who's a one trick pony. In fact, I'd argue that variety is just as important as fundamentals, thoughts?
>>
i am the art god who can draw any form, in any light scheme in any style from memory or without having ever seen anything like it.

What do you really want with art, OP?
>>
>>3107232
Post work
>>
>>3107111
While your outlook is in the right place, there are just those that stick with the same shit over not wanting to step outside the comfort zone or haven't put much practice into other areas, yet they can excel in the spesific they do.
Not every ones process is the same either, nor desire.

If you're asking that variation is as important as fundamentals, isn't fundamentals in itself variation?
>>
>>3107111
Some people just aren't interested in drawing a wide variety of subjects. If you draw for a hobby, I don't see why variety should be important. People draw what they like.

In your pic, it looks like the artist is mostly into anime girls and sci-fi power suits. But do they draw anything else? What about animals, real or fictional? Can they draw vehicles and environments for these figures to interact with?

Does this artist ever draw lolis?
>>
>>3107263
Also, maybe you're just bored of anime girls, while the one trick ponies aren't.
>>
I'm ok with that. I usually follow artists that draw appealing characters / have strong gesture in their drawings.

The thing that bothers me the most is sameface and stiff poses. If you're an artist I followed (either for rendering qualities, or appealing characters) and you keep uploading stuff like that for too long I'd stop following because at that point it does get too repetitive.
>>
I value consistency more than variety.
>>
The sad truth is people are incredible bores who hate novelty with a passion.

Just look at all artists who made it big. If you want $$$ just do the same shit over and over ad nauseam. Let your audience feel safe and sheltered sucking your artistic teet.
>>
>>3108751
The sad truth is that people like you aren't nearly as unique and novel as they think they are. You're just not good at anything, so you don't ever feel like committing to something and you mistake that as a virtue.
>>
>>3108788
Pretty much. Like >>3107296 said if someone can do something well while enjoying it they better keep at it and improve what they're doing.

If I followed someone for cute anime chicks I don't give a fuck if they can draw realistic hourses or not. It's a plus, but not a necessity.
>>
>>3108788
Struck a nerve I see.
>>
>>3109051
Not really, but I probably did. I mean, it's hard to argue that you sound incredibly frustrated and bitter, so it's safe to assume that you are not satisfied with your art nor with the appreciation or lack thereof that people show for it. You hide behind elitism and "variety" when in reality, you just aren't good enough at any one thing to stand out and have people appreciate your work.

It's very easy to jump from one subject to the next, never get good at anything and then pretend everyone more successful than you is a pleb stuck in their comfort zone and only you are enlightened enough to draw a bunch of random shit that no one cares about.
>>
>>3109074
What I find interesting is how me pointing out a simple fact is enough to make you spout assumptions on end, while providing no counterargument whatsoever.
>>
>>3107111
>Personally, Ill take the skill set of someone who is good at many things like varying faces, backgrounds, animals, different body types over someone who's a one trick pony.

This is very sensible on the surface, but the truth is that the artists who are pretty good at drawing lots of things usually aren't very good at drawing anything. Like that pic you posted: for one thing, note that there's really not that much variety there in the first place. It's all organic-shape, sketchy, unrefined characters. And all the characters are extremely same-facey, neutral-posed, not interacting with each other, etc., because those are all things that take a lot of time to get good at on their own. This is the pit-fall of spreading your skills too thin: you end up a jack of all trades, master of none.

Look at any successful artist and I'll pretty much guarantee they'll have a specialty that they focus on (and get hired for) above everything else.
>>
File: variety.jpg (422KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
variety.jpg
422KB, 2000x2000px
>>3109122
Your comment is bs on so many levels that I don't even know where to start. "not interacting with each other" first of all, do you even know what the purpose of the exercise was? If someone was drawing gestures would you come and ask why they weren't drawing backgrounds? Clearly, the exercise was to do some rough exploration of shapes. Second, having a speciality and having variety aren't mutually exclusive. An artist can have a focus on animal anatomy but also be decent at human anatomy and mech. It's not impossible, it simply takes a longer time. And lastly, it isn't a pitfall. If I learned about human figure, a lot of that is going to transfer to animal anatomy without even practicing it(form, proportions, gesture, line weight, perspective, some degree of anatomy) so that all that's left is learning animal anatomy.

P. S quit making so many assumptions based on one pic. Generally, there is gonna be some level of "same face" in an artists work. That's called consistency. Variety isn't that you don't have any preference, variety means they you are as to tackle different areas relatively well.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.