[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's your opinion on FZ? Is it worth going through his videos?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: feng-zhu010.jpg (30KB, 300x396px) Image search: [Google]
feng-zhu010.jpg
30KB, 300x396px
What's your opinion on FZ? Is it worth going through his videos?
>>
the tl;dr I've derived from countless threads and anon grill who went to FZD is that the resources and techniques taught, while ample and good, are nothing unique and the value of attending the school itself is primarily in the opportunity to step into a system that demands unhealthy numbers of hours of practice in exchange for relatively rapid results, if you can take doing nothing but study for months at a time, likely perpetually missing sleep and sustaining a hand injury or two from overworking
if you're morbidly lazy, weak-willed or tend to resent authority, it's not for you or 99% of /co/ (including me)
>>
but as for the videos themselves, from the few I've seen he likes to beat around the bush and only reference these terrific secrets to success his students receive in order to shill his school
you're better off watching someone who will actually tell you exactly what you can work at to improve
>>
Just put his stuff on while you draw instead of music.
>>
>>3104174
>listening to le nasa photobash man while drawing
>>
>>3104171
early videos demonstrate everything, it's all there. Take his foundation advice, throw out all career advice, recognize that his techniques are getting dated and have only ever applied to a very narrow part of the pipeline.
>>
>>3104267
this basically. he doesn't even do concept art anymore, but the old videos are pretty good and he knows what he's talking about, despite being rambly and repetitive
>>
>>3104158
FZD alumni here,
get the books how to draw and how to render from scott robertson, do those first. then after you did those you can watch fengs videos. in there you will find the "fundamentals" he is always talking about
>>
Which of his videos are you anons referring to? The ones on youtube?
>>
>>3104677
Are you the lass that posted the coursework notes and assignments or someone else?

The more the merrier.
>>
>>3104677
Have you gotten any work since graduating?
>>
His face needs more loonis..
>>
He taught me a lot about what concept art is really about and I don't see any holes in his advice.
>>
>>3104267
>Throw out all career advice
Why?
>>
>>3104677
Is having strong fundamentals and a design portfolio geared towards the artstyle and themes of the company I want to apply for really enough to get an entry level job in the industry or should I expect to freelance for say 2 years before applying for industry job?
>>
File: Feng Zhu.png (142KB, 1902x974px) Image search: [Google]
Feng Zhu.png
142KB, 1902x974px
>>
>>3105168
As a Chinaman myself I don't think Feng was in the wrong here. He's a businessman and if you put yourself in a vulnerable position then it's your own fault. Right off the bat the guy who got all his friends to leave didn't even get a secured contract. Even ASSUMING that post is real this Ben guy is a total idiot. Talk is cheap, legally binding contracts are important.
>>
>>3105178
Please dont defend this behavior. Just because what he did wasnt illegal, doesnt mean it was ok. Yes those guys were probably a bit naive, but this attitude, that its ok to be a cold, abusing asshole because you are a businessman is everything thats wrong with this world. Why do you give people the Power to treat others like trash and defend them just because they have money?
>>
>>3105187
I'm an accounting student. I want to eventually work in concept art after I graduate but for me I'm very strict on business. People will always have questionable ethics, there's never a true right or wrong, but there IS stupidity. Did Feng screw them? Maybe. Could literally any other employer have done the same? Definitely. Concept art is a business, and if you treat it like a hobby you will get burned.
>>
Also I want to say that I can get behind Feng's philosophies where beginners are tossed away. Competition is very fierce and you have to work extreme hours to get to a skill level where you can even think about concept art. Too many artist up their own ass and even if they're amazing at what they do they get upset when they hear that they need to grind even more. I don't think I know of anyone besides a select few on /ic/ that wouldn't react badly to "study perspectives more" or "draw more gestures"
>>
>>3105168
Shouldn't have quit their current job before having a contract to review. That's absolutely ass-backwards, you don't give-up your current income and then commit to new responsibilities, because you have no leverage.
>>
File: 895.jpg (36KB, 600x475px) Image search: [Google]
895.jpg
36KB, 600x475px
>>3104158

Greatest thing to ever exist, if the people here actually followed his meme they would git gud in no time
>>
>>3105178

This is why people don't like doing business with the Chinese.
>>
>>3105197
I agree. People need to realize that art in general and especially anything related to an industry relating to movies and games is incredibly competitive (common sense really) and that if you treat your art like a hobby you won't get anywhere. Most artists just think they can paint one thing every couple of months and only paint or draw when they feel like it.

You need to treat it like a job and not a hobby. If you can't do that you need to leave.
>>
>>3105191
>Feng was a cunt, but hypothetically other people could have been cunts in his position, so Feng did nothing wrong
>>3105737
>>
>>3105168

I don't even know why this shit matters, 2+2=4 and it doesn't matter if the nicest guy or a psychopath killer gives you this knowledge, it'll be true and useful regardless.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.