[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where do I fucking start???

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_20170630_152746.jpg (3MB, 4000x2992px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170630_152746.jpg
3MB, 4000x2992px
I want to design video games.
I do not know how to draw.

Could anyone share some resources for beginners?
>>
you know game design has nothing to do with drawing right?
>>
>>3102519
Use pre-existing assets retard, you're not gonna learn to draw just as a pre-requirement of you wanting to make video-games, that's the most half-assed reason you could ever have to learn how to draw and it's a really difficult process that takes years and years to git gud at.

Or trying to get a fucking friend who draws, or someone that likes designing characters for video-games. Go to any game design school and there will be plenty of people that draw.

I can't believe I'm bothering to give you advice, you're so stupid you're NGMI in either industry.
>>
>>3102519
HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>3102519
>I want to design videogaems

You could grow up for one thing
>>
Wow, OP here...such vitrol.

I guess I should have clarified that I have ideas in my head for pretty original games.

I was recently laid off, and suffered a back injury. So I have some free time, but not enough money to just "go to school" with.

That's why I came here and asked for help narrowing down resources. I'm overwhelmed by the amount of options out there that it's frustrating to know where to start.

>Use preexisting assets
In what format? I don't know shit about programming. Care to elaborate a little?

So while I welcome all this abuse, it would actually be really appreciated if someone gave some advice that was helpful. Thanks...
>>
>>3102522

Learning how to draw has been a major life regret of mine. I didn't mean that video games were the sole reason behind this.

I'm 33 so it's intimidating as fuck for me to decide where to even begin.
>>
>>3102552

I am grown up. I'm 33. Music is a big passion of mine, I know how to play Drums and Piano fairly well.

I've just also happened to have a passion for video games. How is your response the least bit constructive?
>>
>>3102635
>>3102639
We have a sticky post and a beginner thread you blithering idiot. Go read them.
>>
>>3102519
>>3102635
well, if you're going to design a game you're going to need a game.

That means you have to be a jack of all trades and at 33 with nothing going for you other than "passion for video games and a bit of music.
It doesn't sound like it's gonna be easy at the very least.

Ofcourse if you're decent at math that's going to help your programming but for design purposes you want to use an engine with scripts
like Unity or Gamemaker for example, if you feel helpless there then idk man.

>Pre-existing assets
usually refers to royalty-free graphics, audio etc

learning how to draw, well read the sticky but drawing is something most people do for years and they're still in beginner threads

And so far we haven't even touched the marketing of the game, the product itself will probably not sell
so you have to bust your ass and gain some exposure somehow that might include having the right followers on twitter.

>I have ideas in my head for pretty original games.
Listen man I get it but please realize that it takes extraordinary skill/experience to map out fun and engaging game concepts like that.
Even if you're confident you will need to test it first with other people and see what they think and not be afraid of starting over.
This is why people prototype extensively before settling on something, if your prototype doesn't feel like the best game ever
at that time, chances are it's not very good and worth pursuing.

And yes you will have to make games yourself or you team up with friends, everyone on the internet thinks they're a game designer
even though they have no skills or qualifications whatsoever. But somehow being passionate about games is enough it seems.
>>
>>3102635
You should have posted this here >>>/v/
>>
File: justcg-chen-overwatch-mccree.jpg (247KB, 1000x1331px) Image search: [Google]
justcg-chen-overwatch-mccree.jpg
247KB, 1000x1331px
Learn to program.

Honestly that's like 10x times more useful and important if you want to make video games.

Otherwise you'll end up being like those other half a million kids on the internet who have some ideas and concept art and are trying to find someone else to program their game for them.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.