[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone here use oil? How do I consistently mix up a string of

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_20170815_180252132-1024x1372.jpg (183KB, 1024x1372px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170815_180252132-1024x1372.jpg
183KB, 1024x1372px
Anyone here use oil? How do I consistently mix up a string of 10 values with even "distance" between them?

I can get there eventually by trial and error, but it means I'm adding more and more paint to the palette, way more than I need.

I tried doing it via the volume of each paint added, but the pigments don't seem to mix proportionally.

As you can see, even the gradation where I used 40 strips each mixed separately on the palette suffers from 'unsmoothness' of the value steps.

This is frustrating because controlling value in charcoal is SO easy. Fuck.
>>
File: image.jpg (550KB, 1592x1686px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
550KB, 1592x1686px
This is an example from Powell's Oil Mixing Guide.

Elsewhere in this book a ratio of 7:1 is given as a good neutral Gray. Best of luck to you, you may want to try using empty paint tubes so you can store more.
>>
>>3102382
>>3102382
7:1 W:B or B:W?

And thanks, those ratios are much different than I calculated, I'll give them a try.

Also, is 'speck' the only unit or is there another? mix #9 seems too light to be 2:1
>>
File: august-15-2017-3.jpg (560KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
august-15-2017-3.jpg
560KB, 1000x1000px
>>3102353
Some things to remember

It's easier to make things darker than it is to make things lighter

You can exaggerate light by continually lightening the brighest values. It doesn't necessarily matter what your darkest dark looks like, because if the brightest values are extremely bright it will create the illusion of darkness in the darker values.

Say your darkest dark is 70%. If your midtones are 50% and highlights are 20%, it will all seem muddy.

For the most part you don't want to continue adding darks after the fact, because you want to lay the lights on top of the darks.

It would be better to change the midtones to 25% light and the highlights pure white, than it would be to fiddle with all the values at once and try to have 100% dark and 0% light.

You can create the illusion of luminescence even if the darkest value isn't 100% black.

Just continue lightening the values. and pushing the chromatic elements of the painting where necessary.

As for mixing, you will get better at that the more you paint. Eventually you will mix correct colors and values without even thinking about it.

The most important thing when you are starting out is coaxing out the illusion of light and dark with paint by pushing the values to their extremes.

When you think it's light enough go lighter, when you think it's dark enough, go darker.
>>
File: image.jpg (153KB, 600x744px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
153KB, 600x744px
>>3102396
>7:1 W:B
A 'speck' is relatively small compared to the units Powell is using. There is a plastic sheet at the back of the book which is quite helpful!
>>
>>3102353
>>3102382

Why do you need to have a perfect 40 step value chain?

I don't get this approach to painting at all, like trying to kill a fly with a shotgun.
>>
File: 1424402861670.jpg (81KB, 1023x497px) Image search: [Google]
1424402861670.jpg
81KB, 1023x497px
>>3102438
it exists as an easy way for teachers to test students. otherwise it's fucking useless.
>>
>>3102406
Could you please do some drawings of Catt wearing a diaper Brian??? You could have her hanging out with the muppet babies so it's not weird.
>>
>>3102684
I was thinking of one where she's me, but she knows that i know that she knows that we both know that actually it's her.
>>
>>3102692
and im in a diaper
>>
>>3102438
OP here,

It's an exercise in control. When i paint something, I want to mostly mix the gradation on the palette instead of smudging endlessly on the canvas.

Next, if i've practiced a few perfect 40 step gradations of my full gamut, I'll be more precise in choosing carefully three or four step gradations of just a fraction.

All in all, much less searching and wasted paint, more confidence.
>>
>>3102692
a really funny cartoon would be a closeup of her face pic where it looks like catt is having a mind bending orgasm (use the 6 minute myfreecams bate on xvideos for ref) then it pans out panel 2 and she's sitting on the toilet. If done right she'd probably favorite on insta
>>
>>3103649
that sounds like a lot of work for an instagram favorite...
>>
>>3103649
also: i can't tell if you're catt and you're just trolling me
>>
>>3103677
Column a...
>>
>>3103759
Go to bed catt
>>
>>3103884
Not Catt...shifty eyes.... but you at least owe her some cute cosplay pics (no weird as demon Picasso robot stuff) on instal after those lewd tweets.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.