[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does 'making it' mean to you? http://poal.me/mhwtpg

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 1

File: Make-It.jpg (10KB, 250x240px) Image search: [Google]
Make-It.jpg
10KB, 250x240px
What does 'making it' mean to you?
http://poal.me/mhwtpg
>>
>>3101355
Me being able to draw what I want to draw at a level that satisfies me
>>
>>3101355
Having my art featured on the alternate stylization thread
>>
>>3101355
this might be the most /ic/ poll i've ever seen.

lists his idea of career success from top to bottom. highest honor an artist can have is "Being a professional in the industry". No choices for fine arts or design.

Yup, checks out. Illustration is the pinnacle of art, and shooting any higher is impossible and pretentious.
>>
>>3101355
Well I know for sure it's not making retarded threads on /ic/
>>
>>3101358
that being said, my goal is to win all the prestigious juried shows and awards, and be featured in top galleries in the world, and never have to teach a fucking art class.
>>
>>3101358
>No choices for fine arts or design.
That's freelancer
>>
I mean, i went for "Hobbyst, git gud, hav fun" but, i really want to be actually good, i just dont want to make a living of it.
I guess i want to get to the point where i feel legitimately happy with what i can do
>>
picked fun
want to get noticed by senpai
>>
I don't know, I'm thinking about it right now

I woke up this morning and had a conversation with friends about jobs. I'm a NEET since graduating uni, going on 2 years now. I've tried a couple things throughout the seasons and nothing stuck. They were worried about me.

I realize I was waiting for something to come and define my life, and my character. I can say for certain I am no longer waiting.

I feel self disgust for thinking something would happen naturally to my life and that my dreams would unfold on their own.

I have wasted a lot of time, and have acted the fool aplenty.

Doing 'art' has never felt 'right,' in that naive sense, and because of that, it gave me a lot of anxiety and periods of depression where i didn't draw.

So, if the feeling of being right is a naive illusion, then I am expecting things of this craft that it cannot give me.

If one wishes to make it to a goal, then they need to deduce the steps needed to get there. But if someone like me is expecting a craft to take my being in a whirlwind of obsession, then I may as well fall victim to the other more common dust devils of obsession - diabetes, drugs, gambling, alcohol, shitposting. Because who is to say it takes a tornado to uproot my sapling of a character.

I don't know what it means to make it, and I never have. Before, I expected my life to just sort itself - that would be 'making it.' But that's not real.

Ok. I want to open an animation studio.
>>
>>3101356
this
>>
At this point I'm not sure if I wanna work in the industry however I do know that I want to be at a professional level regardless of whether I work in the industry or not.
>>
>>3101356

the only thing that matters...
>>
>>3101355
If I can attain financial success in my work find personal satisfaction in my art, that is enough for me. That is making it.
>>
>>3101430
>>3101401
>>3101356
the cruel joke about art is that you know how you want to draw, and are capable of drawing it, from the moment you pick up a pencil. it just takes people different amounts of time and practice to feel comfortable being themselves.

Not everyone has a "visual library" or "autism" and usually the artists with the simplest visions of what their art should look like are the most insecure, because they think their work can't stack up to people like Ruan Jia and KJG, when what they have to contribute is just as vital, even if it's not as impressive to normies.

Me, personally, I would rather be an artist's favorite artist and a critical success than someone who constantly gets attention on social media from the public and has commercial success.
>>
>>3101453
>Not everyone has a "visual library" or "autism" and usually the artists with the simplest visions of what their art should look like are the most insecure, because they think their work can't stack up to people like Ruan Jia and KJG, when what they have to contribute is just as vital, even if it's not as impressive to normies.
Also, if you asked for Ruan Jia or KJG's favorite artists they probably enjoy a wide range of art, and aren't only interested in render monkey illustrators and visual library autists. They probably have some artists who influence them that to you seem too simple to influence work like theirs. I mean they probably both grew up on anime, and probably have enjoyed really simple work before that had a profound impact on them.
>>
Making enough money to never have to go back to the piece of shit job force known as retail.
>>
finish my comic
>>
>>3101355
being able to pay rent and drawing with speed and precision
>>
being able to draw whatever the FUCK i want whenever i want to, and have it look good.
getting paid for it? being appreciated? that's all good too, of course.
>>
>>3101392
What kind of jobs do your friends have
>>
>>3101356
This.
And I want to get crazy rich doing it.
>>
>>3101356
This is never going to happen. Nobody is ever at the level they want to be at no matter how good they actually get.
>>
>>3103980
>he doesn't know about the dunning krugers
>>
>>3102737
why? they are young techies in california.
>>
>>3101355
>What does 'making it' mean to you?
Means I have it but I didn't buy it
>>
>>3102729
Basically this.

I want to be able to convey my ideas on paper in a visually pleasing way. Also want to be good enough to freelance illustration for shitty japanese mobile games.
>>
>>3104005
thats stealing shit
>>
>>3101392
I can relate.
If you don't mind asking, what were the things you tried that didn't stuck?
And what are you doing now/going to do?
>>
>>3101356
to GIT GUD enough to like my own work and have others want to support it
>>
>>3101453
>>3101458
Beautifully written, anon.
>>
>>3101355
Being able to draw on the level that I initially set out to be able to draw at. I still know what artists inspired me to be able to draw well, so I'll continuously compare my work to their pieces that I liked until I feel that I finally understand them in their entirety and could replicate them from scratch if I wanted to.

After that I'll have "made it", and hopefully will have built enough momentum to keep going so that I can continue to pursue my personal creative goals. Of course I'll be pursuing those along my path anyways, my goal isn't to be able to perfectly replicate things but to know that I've reached the skill level that I can replicate them.
>>
I am a hobbyist but I surely would say I've made it if sometime in the future someone would write a paper on me or document my life and my work.
>>
>>3101453
I agree wholeheartedly that the "ultimate goal" of being an artist should be to inspire others to be great, not to achieve financial success or popularity.

People who hold that ideal close deserve to succeed as their goal is selfless and inherently good. If they both stay true and maintain determination, I feel that they will inevitably achieve some degree of success.

I think we can all agree that our role models "made it". As such, becoming a role model is a universal sign of making it.
>>
>>3105427
Hey. Thanks for asking,
I have a degree in architecture, have tried pre-med, have tried applying to CalArts, have tried teaching myself programming (Java and C). Architecture stuck initially, and it was a lot of fun. But I began to have a lot of doubts about it. Everything else was just not out of passion, it was a means of forcing myself to make something of my life. But they never stuck.

Now, I am thinking of ideals. Like what I want to see myself make. This is huge, in comparison to how I was living/studying before. Which is to say I was only doing things so that I can tell people I was doing something. And when I wasn't doing the thing I was stressing myself out.

Just going continue to push my vision and take the steps to realizing it. Can be comics or animation, but I know it needs to involve storytelling.
>>
>>3103980
that doesn't really matter, wanting to improve is always a good thing it doesnt matter if the goal is impossible. Plus some people do get to a level they enjoy, that's how they stagnate at the same level for years, up to you to figure out if thats a bad thing or not
>>
>>3101355
I want to inspire and influence people in the same way I was inspired as a kid.

I also just wanna make weird stupid stuff that makes people smile as corny as that may sound.
>>
I want someone to look at my art and say it inspires them to draw!
>>
>>3105499
Thanks for answering. Good luck in your endeavors.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.