[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to be creative?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Untitled-1.jpg (1MB, 1600x762px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
1MB, 1600x762px
I feel like my art fundamentals aren't that bad technically but I'm struggling with creating something that isn't every other piece on ArtStation. How would you go about it, /ic/?
>>
>>3100873
you could have shit fundies, if you have that other 50% of what art is then youll create works that have value and meaning
meditate, die to your old self, thats the key
let the universe at large tell you what to paint
>>
>>3100873

i have the opposite problem. I am very creative and if I had just one area of talent to use as an outlet I would be golden. Creativity is mostly the ability to systemize in new ways. Think about a whole world to set your art in or base your art around some unique method (for instance something like turning random squiggles into representative pictures). Think in a multimedia context.
>>
>>3100876
I find that definition of creativity really interesting!
I've always thought of creativity as the ability to let go of systems. I'll definitely going to have a go at new methods and workflows.
>>
>>3100873
There's huge variety in subject matter in that artstation screenshot you posted, so if your goal is to not do any of that, chances are you won't be creating anything anytime soon. You're the typical beginner who thinks creativity means creating something unique when in reality, the only unique concepts left are those who are bad designs. Everything that is worth drawing has already been drawn and all you can do is create your own take on it.
>>
>>3100906
Hm, I see your point with there only being so much subject matter - it's not like I can bar myself from drawing a person ever again.

But I suppose there's always the discussion of going on ArtStation and saying "Oh, this looks familiar. I've seen this before". At some point, you could say that there are a lot of spaceships that look "generic".
Perhaps I should be more specific and ask how you would go about creating your own take on existing subject matter.
>>
>>3100873
Be aware of the fact that art doesn't exist beyond it's medium. Play with the medium you are using.
Look at something and try breaking it down into it's essential shapes and properties.
Do automated and random drawings.
>>
>>3100873
I am not sure true creativity exists, it would be thinking of something that no one has a concept of yet and how to get there.

General creativity, what people usually attribute it to anyway, definitely exists.
I think it's something like being so good at stealing ideas that few or no one can make the connection.

Really creative people look outside of their medium and take from their own personal experience and mix it in.
As such I think the only way it can be taught is having extreme confidence and experience in your field.

In a way it's like a managing of mental resources
When you become so immersed in your work that, in this case, painting becomes as easy as breathing
that's when your mind wanders, explores possibilities and different approaches.
While the inexperienced and insecure artist constantly fixates on 'getting this shape right'
or becomes frustrated when it does not meet your expectations, so much so it occupies your mind.

I think if, when you've reached a high level, somewhere in the top 1-5% it is more beneficial if you
instead of focusing on creating a masterpiece working 100% all the time, go for 80%.
Let minor mistakes happen because they might be happy accidents in disguise
and more importantly your imagination can wander freely instead of dealing with your shortcomings.
>>
Seek out and consume a lot of unique and obscure ideas. Use that as your inspiration.

Put yourself in environments where you have to think on your own and come up with novel concepts.
>>
>>3100873
try to draw the thing you wish to draw without using references

after you finish. If you are unsatisfied with what you created, identify the resource you lack for your imagination (eg. you want to draw cool robot weapon but don't know how, so you look on pictures of machine engineering).

Read and remember what they vaguely looks like, and go back fix your drawing just with your memories. Rince and repeat
>>
Draw from poetry. The unique ones like Arseny Tarkovsky, not the cookie cutter ones.
>>
>>3100873
There is one devil to slay and it's subject matter related to current trends: Popular movies, books, technology

People like >>3100906 may think the page looks more varied than it is, but if you take the above elements away, you lose 8/10 of the pieces

The rest are nondescript portraits of pretty girls in modern clothes, generic concepts, enviros and maybe two somewhat interesting designs?

It doesn't take a lot of effort to delve outside of these constraints, just use entirely different inspiration sources.

You can paint a girl but why give her fancy clothes and a smartphone? do something real like clothes from previous decades and different locales, mundane, low income areas, whatever. It isn't hard to retain a poignant message even with a generic subject IF you keep it natural, shit that isn't just lifted out of movies or fantasy novels. You don't have to completely cut those sources off but maybe think This is England, Ipcress File or 2001 instead of Wonder Woman and Game of Thrones. look at historical sources and not what fantasy would have you believe a mage, knight or thief looks like

not every person has to be some pretty cunt with the perfect Loomis ideal

Piotr Jablonski is a great example of a modern and popular artist that still is unique, he does horror but it doesn't look like anything else because it approaches a variety of sources differently; medieval Gothic art, romanticism etc.

If you want to do sci fi, look at earlier decades, 50's and 60's style, take inspiration from real life nasa shuttles and go from there, rather than the hypercomplex cybertastic bullshit. Has anyone done a highly detailed rendering of a 60's style spacesuit?

You can go deeper in every direction, explore different religious, historical and cultural contexts, and combine them in new and unique ways.. just keep in mind that it doesn't hurt to return to the plain, natural, believable whenever you can.
>>
>>3100873
There's an old saying that before you can become a writer, you first need to live through adulthood for a number of years.. otherwise, what will you have to write about? What does that artwork wall tell you? Does it look like it comes from people with a lot of life experience, that have explored a great variety of inspiration?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.