[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dry pigment, palladium, lavendar oil?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_1046.jpg (836KB, 3952x974px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1046.jpg
836KB, 3952x974px
Any traditional artists here know what to do with dry pigment, lavendar oil, or liquid palladium? A relative passed away and I got these supplies. I have been painting for a few years, but never used these materials.

Pic related.
>>
>>3099347
You can mix the dry pigment with a medium to make paint. You've got linseed oil there, so you can use that if you want to make oil paint, but you'll need a glass muller and slab, and you'll probably want a mask or respirator because you don't want to be breathing that shit.
>>
Look through naturalpigments articles for information about pigments and media.

Those yellow and white pigments seem like they could be toxic. Possibly lead white, naples yellow (lead antimonate) and lead tin yellow. The earth colors, green earths, and blues should be alright unless there's emerald green in there. The red is likely to be just some type of red earth, but it could be vermillion (mercury sulfide).

I can't identify the lime green pigment, but the other ones seem to be some sort of green earths and maybe a chrome oxide green. Doesn't seem to be verdigris.

Lavender/spike oil is a solvent used similarly as turpentine. Non toxic.

Artists who are serious enough to mull their own paints are just the kind to keep toxic pigments, although they don't seem to have been used much.

You should list what the labels say where available.
>>
>>3099440
I should further add spike oil is quite expensive and should not be used like turpentine for cleaning brushes during and after painting, but can be used for thinning down paint, making a couch, or making a painting medium with linseed oil and maybe a resin.
>>
You need a Muller, which looks like a mortar & pestle and you could probably get away with the latter.

To be perfectly frank its really not worth the trouble. You really need a three drum mulling machine if you want to do it with any sort of efficiency.
>>
Thanks everyone! The bottles do not list the chemical pigments, only the hue. They are rather old and I do not have the equipment, time, or desire to mix the paints knowing how complicated the process can be. I will probably just dispose of the pigment and keep the oils.
>>
>>3099481
You can add the pigments to your current colors to add vibrancy to a lower grade color paint btw. So don't toss them. But you should get a Muller to mix the paint up
>>
>>3099481
Contact any art restoration organizations near you, and see if they'll take your pigments - they usually want to use the old stuff to repair paintings and such. Also, there may be artists near you who'd want to use those with egg-tempra technique. They're probably not a lot of money, but I'd bet there's someone who could use them. Also - don't dispose of toxins like lead and such without finding out how to dispose of them properly.
>>
>>3099481
what, what have they been telling you in this thread?!

you just grind them up in a mortar and pestle with whatever medium you want, oil or water or glue, or an acrylic-base or even paint that's white or the same color.

just don't drink it or breath huge clouds of it in and you'll be fine.
>>
>>3099347
>could be toxic
They are most probably toxic and you should not eat or inhale them.
I also agree that making your own paint is gonna be a huge pain in the ass and a waste of time.
>>
>>3099481
List the information on the labels anyway. By hue do you mean "dark blue" or do you mean "ultramarine blue" or some other? What about the yellows? I'm confused by your comment of them not listing chemical pigments and only hue, because it's somewhat ambiguous. Iron oxide for example goes by many names for the different variations. Another example is that vermillion is a hue (name of a color as it appears) as well as the common name given to chemical mercury sulfide. Are they just literally listed as "yellow-green" or "sky blue" or "pink"? I do not see the point in buying pigments that one does not know what is in them. Paint (pigment and binder) sold with these labels are very often a mixture of more than one pigment (eg. a paint with the color of vermillion having no true vermillion will be sold as vermillion hue), whereas dry pigments are almost always sold as one pigment and not a mixture, unless the seller is cheating.
>>
>>3099481
Dear God man, put it all on ebay. Someone out there would love to give this a home or use it in their work. And you'll be quids in.
Sheesh......
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.