[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm 36 and I just started drawing

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

Hi guys,

I've always wanted to be an anime artist but life got in the way. Recently, I've been watching Mark Crilley videos and I figured if an old guy like him can draw then so can I? Anyway, I've been at this for 1 year now and I'm just not seeing any progress. Can I still "make it" or am I too old?
>>
>>3097498
Can't you old fuckers at least not fall for the animango meme?
>>
>>3097498

Mark Crilley is an excellent resource recommended here. Just go through his videos and I also recommend Draw with Jazza. If you use their videos for another year before you go balding you'll git good in no time.
>>
>>3097503
Oh, is that supposed to be funny? You know I've been browsing here for a while and I've seen countless hate threads of jazza which I believe to be an above average artist. Mark Crilley on the other hand is phenomenal and i'll regard any negative comment about him as coming from a place of hatred and jealously.

Now, I did not come on this board to have my favorite artists ridiculed as amusing it may seem to your youngsters out here who have nothing better to do with your freetime than be jack asses online and disparage successful artists. I came here for hope. I came here to hear the opinions of artists who started at my age and still found success. Thank you. PLease refrain from shitposting.
>>
>>3097507
>comes to 4chan for hope

Welp
>>
>>3097498
Discard Mark Crilley immediately, some of his advice is solid but generally you'll learn some very bad habits from him.

Firstly, when you say you've been working for a year, how hard have you actually been working in that year? If you want to achieve a high level of draftsmanship and produce appealing, solid art that will impress your friends and maybe even open up employment opportunities you absolutely cannot afford to pissarse about, especially with time being precious as an older beginner. However many hours you have spare each day to draw you should be using to the maximum, constant focus and effort.

Secondly, the skills you need master off the bat to give you a solid foundation are perspective and human proportion/anatomy, in that order. I recommend you start with Norling's book Perspective Made Easy, then move on to Marshall Vandruff's perspective lectures (available on his website for something like $15, well worth it), and finally pirate the Scott Robertson Gnomon DVDs (intro to perspective, cars, planes, hovercraft and space vehicles), referring to Scott's book How To Draw for anything you don't understand fully in the videos. Parallel to that I'd recommend you find a good figure drawing resource, Andrew Loomis' Figure Drawing For All It's Worth and Bridgman's Constructive Anatomy are excellent jumping-on points. I would also recommend Krenz Cushart's Gumroad videos on figure drawing in perspective once you've gotten enough of a grasp on perspective to draw cubes and volumes accurately freehand.

Finally, take any opportunity you can find for life drawing classes, availability of space and light for still life and cast studies, etc. Might want to try Charles Bargue's drawing course first as a primer, get used to spending hours drawing a foot or coffee mug.

Best of luck.
>>
>>3097507
I'm not shitposting. I started out on Mark Crilley and I do think he is good; comparable to your average pixic artist. I have his entire Miki Falls collection on my shelf and I even met him at a comic convention once.

Anyway if you're looking for anatomy I'd look into the Structure of Man by Riven Pheonix. You can get his DvDs on the pirate bay. Cheers.
>>
>>3097507
>>3097498
Jesus Christ why can't you autists fuck off.
>>
>>3097515
>writing a serious reply for an obvious shitpost
>not looking at filename

some anons never learn
>>
>>3097516
genuine shitposting is still shitposting
>>
>>3097515
Curious, if you aren't interested in industrial design, why exactly do you need to go through scott robertson if you already done marshall vandruff and perspective made easy?
>>
>>3097518
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVz1U4JR61E
>>
>>3097521
Depends on how deep you want to go into perspective. To be honest not even Robertson covers every base, you'll be need Erik Olson's NMA stuff for that.

Personally I want a mastery of construction in perspective for the purpose of being able to draw and design buildings and vehicles convincingly.
>>
>>3097533
I did the Erik Olson course early this year but haven't put it to use yet. You definitely need to learn composition for that (as Erik says 'the perspective follows the composition')
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.