[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My third attempt at painting an abstract. The first two were

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: 20170811_180345.jpg (104KB, 824x1059px) Image search: [Google]
20170811_180345.jpg
104KB, 824x1059px
My third attempt at painting an abstract. The first two were blues, so I went in a different direction. Please rip me to shreds. Acrylic on canvas, roughly 12x15".
>>
>>3096753
am i doing /ic/ right?
>>
>>3096753
If you want to paint straights use tape.

None of this i wanted to keep the loose look of the lines or theyre not meant to be perfect shit. No one will respect you as an artist if your hard edge shit doesn't have hard edges. It looks sloppy and is distracting.
Also its not very interesting.
If you want to sell it to idiots who dont know shit about art maybe you could hack it with someones lonely aunt but if youre gonna make abstractions you have to have some sort of sentient thought behind them. Some reason for placing things where they are. Not just i thought it looked good.

Look at some hard edge artists and literally copy them. Then tell people how much they influenced you and shit.

Also dont use canvas for this kind of work. Use masonite or wood panels.
>>
>>3096790
Lygia Clark
Carmen Harera
Frank Stella

Read their artist bios, their abstracts, the manifestos for the groups they hung out with. Only through education will you make yourself a half decent artist. Go to a museum where works like this are displayed. Frank Stella is huge and if you live near a major city I'm sure you can find at least one piece by him. Dont be afraid to steal (thats how stella made his career and now hes considered some sort of mythological figure in the abstract art world. That could be you)
>>
>>3096790
>If you want to paint straights use tape.
Yeah, I realized that after.
>If you want to sell it to idiots who dont know shit about art
What does knowing about art have anything to do with it? If it's aesthetically pleasing to someone then it's good.
>if you're gonna make abstractions you have to have some sort of sentient thought behind them.
I'm curious.. what makes you think I didn't?
>Use masonite or wood panels.
Yeah, I'm not doing this professionally or anything. All I had was canvas or paper where I work on this stuff.

>>3096793
>Only through education will you make yourself a half decent artist.
Could you give me an example of how that would help?
>Lygia Clark
>Carmen Harera
>Frank Stella
Ew... no. That's not what I'm going for at all. Kandinsky is the main inspiration.
>>
>>3096790
>>Use masonite or wood panels.
>Yeah, I'm not doing this professionally or anything. All I had was canvas or paper where I work on this stuff.
But I will see if we can get wood panel.
>>
>>3096809
>Kandinsky is the main inspiration

Did you sit down and study his oeuvre at all?
>>
>>3096809
>if you're gonna make abstractions you have to have some sort of sentient thought behind them.
I'm curious.. what makes you think I didn't?

You didnt tell me about it. Common sense dicates that an art piece comes with some writing or in person explanation an image on a computer screen is gonna do jack all for any sort of "wow this looks good instantly" effect.

>>3096815
That guy isnt me but hes right this looks nothing like a kandinsky or even rempotely influenced by Kandinsky. He had unbelievably complex reasoning for the composition of his pieces that came from decades of paying dues not only to classical painting but to various attempts at the beginnings of abstraction rooted in impressionism.

When it comes to making art I truly hope you can remember one line. Its helped me a lot and its the greatest piece of advice youll ever see on this shit hole.

"You cant pick up where Cezanne left off, you must start where Cezanne started."

>Only through education will you make yourself a half decent artist.
Could you give me an example of how that would help?

Fort starters you wont end up repeating shit people already did without being conscientious about it. If you know jack shit about the art world how are you going to have conversations with interested customers? Dealers? Collecters? Curators? Teachers? Students?

I get the impression that youre either young or very new to art, just know that if you dont know what youre talking about and what youre working off of it come off as really rude to other people who worked really hard to make really intelligent work, while you say that your 1 hour painting that you cant properly have a conversation about other than "it looks good to me" is at the same level.

Im not gonna sit here answering everything because it wont stick if I do that. You gotta figure some stuff out yourself. Read some books on art history you're not gonna become worse by looking at art thats better than yours.
>>
>>3096810
If you dont want to do this professionally. Why the fuck are you getting advice from strangers?? You should just tell people to fuck themselves and make a million of these in your room and never share them.

If you want to do it professionally, educate yourself.
>>
>>3096830
>You didnt tell me about it.
I was trying to visually represent how I feel when I hear a loud noise, like a bang. To me it seems stupid to tell someone what you were going for before they form their own opinion of it. The piece shouldn't be there to force a message down someone's throat. It should try to evoke the same feeling in them using just the visual.

>>3096830
>Customers? Dealers? Collecters? Curators? Teachers? Students?
Not interested in that. Just trying to make things that look good. That's the point, isn't it?

>while you say that your 1 hour painting is at the same level.
A) It took 2 hours and B) I never said anything remotely close to that.

>>3096839
So I can make things that look nicer than this. Getting paid for it has nothing to do with it.
>>
File: 08d1dc50eee1b53179cf65936a064931.jpg (279KB, 1000x1200px) Image search: [Google]
08d1dc50eee1b53179cf65936a064931.jpg
279KB, 1000x1200px
>>3096830
>looks nothing like a kandinsky or even rempotely influenced by Kandinsky
Being inspired by something doesn't mean I'm going to create the same thing.

>You cant pick up where Cezanne left off
Good because Cezanne's stuff was tacky.
>>
>>3096753
OP you're missing the point. You should be available to look at these lines and corners under a microscope. This image is sloppy as hell
>>
>>3097777
Numbers don't lie.
>>
File: kazimir_malevich.jpg (27KB, 444x500px) Image search: [Google]
kazimir_malevich.jpg
27KB, 444x500px
I would say that is not abstract. The geometric forms and patterns are easily recognizable. If that's what you like I recommend you to study some Kazimir Malevich and the Suprematism movement
>>
>>3097777
Yeah, I know. I'm going to use tape if I do something so... linear again. I'm learnding.

>>3097799
>I would say that is not abstract.
LOL, whut?
>>
File: IMG_20170812_201833_614.jpg (2MB, 3276x2120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170812_201833_614.jpg
2MB, 3276x2120px
Here's some abstract stuff from my sketchbook. Just messing around with collage and paint texture
>>
>>3098209
Found the pederast.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.