[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who Wins this Gesture Battle?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 13

File: Capture.png (2MB, 2310x1238px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
2MB, 2310x1238px
The honor of choosing the winner of the second ever Gesture Battle in /ic/ history goes to you lucky folks!
The two artists were each tasked with drawing five randomly chosen images under a time limit of 15 minutes.

Your job now is to decide who drew each image the best. The artist who gets 3/5 wins the battle!

Go vote and be apart of history. Don't be a boring fag that no one likes.

(btw, Nosebro drew the left, Puts drew the right)
>>
Left because they obviously understand form as shown in the kettle and mushroom. Didn't realize NoseBro was this good now.
>>
File: Capture.png (2MB, 2414x1192px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
2MB, 2414x1192px
>>3094197
NOTE: this was technically our second gesture spar of the day, but puts fucked me over by ignoring the rules and fucking the first one by using 5 minutes instead of 15.
>>
File: Capture.png (5KB, 327x73px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
5KB, 327x73px
>>3094198
heres a gallery if you want to participate! 15 minutes is your time frame!

http://imgur.com/a/1tWRF

Here's the historical first gesture battle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqOiDj5IQaM
>>
>>3094204
>http://imgur.com/a/1tWRF
Where's the image of the cute asian girl.
>>
File: 32973464666_56221ed86e_o.jpg (959KB, 1200x1798px) Image search: [Google]
32973464666_56221ed86e_o.jpg
959KB, 1200x1798px
>>3094207
wtf are you on about, there was no cute asian girl this time. that video is unrelated to today
>>
>>3094213
Are you telling me you don't have that image from your video?
>>
File: 32169957674_5f92fe02fb_o.png (1MB, 800x1199px) Image search: [Google]
32169957674_5f92fe02fb_o.png
1MB, 800x1199px
>>3094221
not on hand. no.
>>
>>3094225
You're not such a bad person, NoseBro.
>>
File: IMG_20170810_034640.jpg (62KB, 480x854px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170810_034640.jpg
62KB, 480x854px
Fuck yes! /ic/ is constantly at its own throat. There's a trend of a couple seasoned creatives bestowing limp-fuck advice upon the plethora of young, frustrated artists jabbing at each other (because that's /ic/ culture).

But competition-- that's fucking awesome. I don't know about /ic/, but one of my driving forces creatively is competition. I see people with concepts and executions beyond my own capability, and I swell with the drive of weaponized jealousy. I will be as good-- no, better-- I'll be better than those I idolize.

Where, in the ocean of self-promotion, attention whoring (unavoidable), and projected self loathing, is the competition?
>>
Can't be fucked looking at the references so I won't be judging on accuracy, just what looks more appealing (I think that's kind of the point of good gestures anyway)

>>3094197
>Mushroom
Nosebro. Just a lot more information down and I can feel the form better, even if the texture was absent I think I'd still think that.

>Teapot
Nosebro. Just simple, clean and good as opposed to Puts

>Dog
Puts. Got down more information, the face looks structured better and Nosebro's just looks so hastily thrown together with little consideration.

>Ice cream / sundae ?
Both pretty shit but I think Puts is just a little better. Nosebro's icecream doesn't even fit the cup properly and I can feel Puts' form better. The contour of the top of the little umbrella also looks a bit more lively when it's curved rather than completely straight. (I know that's not how it is in the reference but it looks nicer so fuck it.)

>Face (I checked the reference for this one)
Puts. Head and neck actually follow the angle in reference, it's more obviously looking kind of upwards and the face is actually half-appealing. The shadow under the chin looks pretty inaccurate but it still manages to communicate the angle of the face. It almost looks statuesque in a way. Good job.
Nosebro's face just looks dead inside. Nothing really communicates the angle that the head is tilted except for one of the lopsided ears and how much of the bottom plane of the nose you can see, but the nose itself looks fucked just like all the other features.

So I guess Puts wins overall, not by a lot though.

Bonus Round?
>>3094199
Everything by Nosebro except for the wasp is better but he had 3 times longer so it only makes sense.
>>
>>3094197
so i just did all 10 in 15 minutes 90 seconds each then i realized i could only do 5..... should i re-do or just post the 10 90 second drawings.
>>
>>3094266
i'm just gonna re-do cus the ones i have are alright but if i had done 5 in 15 they would have been better.
>>
File: Destination Earth (1956) 9.jpg (52KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
Destination Earth (1956) 9.jpg
52KB, 720x480px
I don't understand this.

Vote where? How to participate?

*interested*
>>
>>3094271
i mean, if you really want to participate, just join the sticky contributors discord and we can duke it out tomorrow

As for votes, theres no system in place, you just say which you think is better for x y z

https://discord.gg/K5gwsyg
>>
>>3094273
well as for the op pic, the "putz" guy is obviously better.
>>
File: IMG_20170810_0003.jpg (335KB, 1276x1754px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170810_0003.jpg
335KB, 1276x1754px
>>
>>3094197
None of those are gestures, retards.
>>
File: original 10 90sec.png (867KB, 784x1018px) Image search: [Google]
original 10 90sec.png
867KB, 784x1018px
>>3094281
here are my original 90 sec x 10 drawings
>>3094284
i was also thinking 3 minutes each was too long for a gesture thats why i originally thought it was 90 seconds each.
>>
>>3094281
Those legs are pretty bad, the pose is stiff, the teapot and the mushroom are too tall.
>>
>>3094290
yea i know . but as vilppu suggests we dont copy the model we analyze it and feel the forms. and then we make correction (muh excuses ) actually i forgot to do the lines for the gesture of the legs and just kinda eyeballed it.
will try harder possibly on the next episode of

GESTURE
E
S
T
U
R
E

BATTLE!
A
T
T
L
E
!
>>
>>3094261
>Can't be fucked looking at the references so I won't be judging on accuracy, just what looks more appealing (I think that's kind of the point of good gestures anyway)

That's right, this is art not physics. More accurate isn't always better. It's about whether it looks good.

This is where you have to be careful with when using refs, especially if you use accuracy-based methods like tracing. You may lose out on the ability to make things better than simply the thing that exists in reality.
>>
>>3094288
i just realized i forgot the dog and the guys face.

>>3094309
i agree with this . in videos i saw with vilppu and houston at nma they say to make the gesture longer than the figure to help with the flow carry through (which in my gestures here i forgot to do.)
accuracy should come later in the process.

>>3094197

if i was to vote on nose or puts in the OP
i'm gonna say puts but noses mushroom was a better use of forms as said by another anon . but the dog the ice cream and the face on puts got the vote
>>
>>3094204
What the fuck, do they know what a gesture is?
>>
>>3094361
gesture means loose contour lines right?
>>
>>3094370
Yeah that's what they must be thinking. Should've called it a quick sketch battle then.
>>
>>3094361
there is no patent on the meaning of gesture
>>
>>3094409
Just like there's no patent on the meaning of ice sculptue. Let's call it an ice sculpture battle, but we'll be drawing sketches.
>>
>>3094231
same.
I love competition, I feel we are a ll hunters of knowledge.
And testing each other is the best way.
It brings me joy to see fellow artist spar to become the greatest they can be out of themselves.
>>
they dont, these are contour studies.

Gesture drawings are about communicating the weight and balance and emote of the figure/thing with as few lines as possible.

They need to either rename or do it right.
>>
>>3094437
no they're not lol, they're sketches, a study is defined by detail, or at least care.
>>
>>3094361
post your gesture battle.
>>
wow, wow, did I hear GESTURE BATTLE
>>
File: GESTURE BATTLE.jpg (518KB, 2880x1800px) Image search: [Google]
GESTURE BATTLE.jpg
518KB, 2880x1800px
>>3094197
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwX0Q164Mn8

Feel the flow, Feel the form.
GESTURE BATTLE!
FIGHT!
GESTURE BATTLE!
Capture the pose!
Excellent!
Proko, Feng Zhu, Hampton, Bobby Chiu,
Loomis, Glenn Vilppu, Sycra.
GESTURE BATTLE!
FIGHT!
GESTURE BATTLE!
Capture the pose!
Excellent!
GESTURE BATTLE!
GESTURE BATTLE!
Excellent!
Excellent!
Excellent!
Excellent!
FIGHT!
GESTURE BATTLE!
Feel the flow.
GESTURE BATTLE!
Feel the flow.
GESTURE BATTLE!
GESTURE BATTLE!
GESTURE BATTLE!
GESTURE BATTLE!
GESTURE BATTLE!
GESTURE BATTLE!
>>
this is a good idea and these aren't bad but they're figure drawings, not gesture drawings

gesture drawings capture the motion/action of a subject rather than its actual form by only using single strokes (usually goes by the rule of CSI, only using C curves, S squiggles, and straight/curved strokes)

figure drawings capture the actual figure and form of a subject, its shapes and contours and sometimes values if they convey important information about how it's constructed
>>
File: AshFeelem.png (84KB, 253x393px) Image search: [Google]
AshFeelem.png
84KB, 253x393px
>>3094197
>>3094680
Oh man, I'm feeling it, the flow, the form, the rhythms... SING IT WITH ME BOYS! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2qUusW6is0

I wanna be the very best
Like no one ever was
To draw forms is my real test
To feel them is my cause

I will travel across the land
Searching far and wide
Find new poses to understand
The gesture that's inside

Gesture Draw! Gotta feel 'em all!
Just vilppu and me
My spark and my ligameme
Gesture Draw! Oh I'm under 25
Neuroplasticity still alive
Line of action so true
Michael Hampton will pull us through

You feel me and I'll feel you
Gesture Draw!
Gotta feel 'em all!
Gotta feel 'em all!
Yeeaah

Every model along the way
With Loomis I will face
Gesture battles every day
I'll make it with style and grace

Draw all day, Feng Zhu will show
There's no better time
Arms and legs - we'll feel the flow
My pose will be sublime

Just vilppu and me
My spark and my ligameme
Line of action so true

Gesture Draw!
(Gotta feel 'em all!) x5
Yeeaah

*epic guitar solo*

Just vilppu and me
My spark and my ligameme
Line of action so true

Gesture Draw!
Gotta feel 'em all!
Gotta feel 'em all!
Gesture Draw!
>>
>>3094689
>>3094361
you guys want to have a technicality battle?
>>
File: gesture attempts.jpg (123KB, 1061x528px) Image search: [Google]
gesture attempts.jpg
123KB, 1061x528px
>>3094596
>>3094712
Why the fuck should it matter if I can do it or not? I'm pretty shit myself, it's just that doing a figure drawing and doing a gesture are very different things. You can compete in either, it's fine, just call things what they're called. Yeah, maybe it's a technicality (technically), but like this it looks like you just don't know what you're doing. Think of the people in /beg/ who try doing gesture drawings, and they get told that "that's not a gesture", and then they look at your battle and see that you don't even bother doing proper gestures.

PS I don't know why the last guy turned out so small.
>>
>>3094754
though its figures, were doing so with gesture in mind
>>
>>3094197
right, even though the kettle almost ruined it for me
>>
>>3094705
Lmao, someone save this
>>
>>3094880
im thinking maybe i can organize a bit with the community and have the key figures sing a verse at a time. It'd be easy to do as well. But then i remember everyone is ashamed of who they are and it'd end up being 80% me like every other 4chan project.
>>
>>3094861
Kek. You're so funny sometimes.
>>
>>3094754
I really don't think you should be the authority on what a gesture drawing is.
>>
>>3094883
>it'd end up being 80% me like every other 4chan project.
What projects have you organized on 4chan?
>>
>>3094197
I'm not surrounded if I count those as gestures, I can't even feel the forms™
>>
>>3095168
Some threads, sticky, sticky discord ( youre useless puts), gesture battle except 555c did an amazing job editing ( youre useless puts), this thread (cant believe you typo'd puts.).

Nevermind, its just puts who's useless.
>>
Hey Nosebro you do all your practicing nowadays without reference, right? How much time do you think you need bare minimum studying reference stuff before you can move on to practicing the way you do/did?
>>
>>3095349
assuming youre being legitimate in (mysteriously) asking me for advice despite knowing i draw an hour a day on average, i would say it doesnt matter what you do, as long as you draw youll improve. Just be mindful about what youre attempting and harsh on yourself. Eventually you level up. As a rule of thumb though, it is true a conventional way harbors quicker results, however.

Long story short, draw whatever allows you to draw the most time. And if you really wanted advice, the best way for me to help you would be to just post your works and ill point out the common mistakes.
>>
>>3095362
I was being real, I don't feel the need to get to like some incredible high skill ceiling, I just want to be able to draw cool looking figures in interesting poses with appealing faces and shit like that. I feel like from the random shit I've seen you post in threads you're at least there or better, so you know.
If I actually post any of the things I've been practicing you'll think I'm just baiting though, I'm still absolute garbage tier.
>>
>>3095347
hey, fuck you I worked very hard on this thread
I also added some very useful info on the sticky as well as illustrative photos until you deleted all the changes
>>
>>3095368
The issue is by the time you reach my level, you end up wanting more. But sure, ill be waiting on my short and fickle pedestal
>>
File: lelgesture2.jpg (93KB, 879x998px) Image search: [Google]
lelgesture2.jpg
93KB, 879x998px
>>3094197
>still can't beat the champ
>>
>>3095162
Maybe try reading my post? Also, post yours.
>>
>>3095500
is it fair if i put my art behind his statement?
>>
>>3094197
Everything on the left except the dog. those aren't called gestures though.

>>3094754
The two on the right do the job pretty well as far as gestures go. Shame the one on the left isn't complete but that's because of the ref.

>>3095410
That one could be alright but it doesn't read at all
>>
>>3095410
still the champ
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.