[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I deal with forgetting almost every protip I get? I've

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: bttf1.jpg (179KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
bttf1.jpg
179KB, 1920x1080px
How do I deal with forgetting almost every protip I get? I've read quite a few books on self improvement that included useful stuff but I always forget about it eventually. I mean I take some of it permanently but for example stuff chunking the biggest set of skills into small, manageable skills that can be mastered within 3 sessions of 30 mins - I dont remember it.

It started to make me really mad, because I cant fucking improve if I forget about all of this stuff. I try to practice it at least once after learning about it but it all eventually goes to hell. How the fuck can I keep it all in mind?
>>
When studying any self improvement book, I tend to keep an organized notebook nearby to annotate (clearly, in my own words) anything that clicks with me. Any time I feel like I'm missing something, that notebook is my lifeline.
I suggest bound and handwritten notes for their convenience, but do what suits you.
Most people naturally can't retain everything they learn the first time around, so try to re-read chapters that don't stick, and revise your notes if you need to. With repetition comes retention.

Any good reads/etc. you might recommend?
>>
>>3093976
>chunking the biggest set of skills into small, manageable skills that can be mastered within 3 sessions of 30 mins

I'm curious, how exactly does that work in relation to art? What would be examples of small, managable skills you can master in 3 30 minute sessions?
>>
>>3093976
the answer is like in any remembering related stuff, recaps

personally I like to do

what that means is basically
>learn a thing
>learn something else
>recap those 2 things and how they influence >each other
>learn a 3rd thing
>learn a 4th thing
>recap those last 2 and how they influence each other
>then recap what I learned everything so far
>learn a 5th thing
>...
>>
>>3093976
If you're forgetting things, it means you're not practicing enough. There's also no shame in revisiting books and notes. That's the entire point of having knowledge in a fixed format.

Speaking of learning in general, it's better to study underlying concepts rather than trying to remember each specific application of it. Complexity arises from the interaction of simple concepts.
>>
>>3094251
Whoa, this is revolutionary shit. Or no wait, that's anki but done in art form. Holy shit. But how does that work once you get past 9?
>>
>>3094300
>that's anki
tell me more, googling it shows I have to spend more than 5 seconds to realize how it works
>But how does that work once you get past 9?
really nigga, do you want to keep doing? you aren't jesting me, are you?
9 10
11 12
9 10 11 12
13 14
15 16
13 14 15 16
9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18
and so on

basically this is my recent way of learning something. Before this I would try to read something from start to finish in one go and then repeat until I got it, but it was less efficient. it's just a way of breaking down in swallower bits, a peace of information too big to learn in one read.
>>
>>3094308
Not him, but I'm pretty sure he's referring to the program/app "Anki". Flashcards used for learning vocabulary and what not.
>>
>>3094308
Anki is a space-repetition program based of some dude's studying method about doing pretty much what you said in which you start from 1, but you then assign it how many days into the future you think you will need to review that material again. Then you do the same for 2. And eventually it turns to be similar except at some point the thing you need to review for 1 could be at like 90 and so you don't need to review 1 until 90.
Anyways I think I'm terrible at explaining that. What I really want to know now is how you apply this specifically to drawing. 1 would be like attempt portraits, 2 would be focus on one aspect of the portrait. Then do 12 together, then 3 is another aspect of the face, 4 too, do those together, then do it all together?
>>
>>3094316
each number represent an idea. It can be as complex or simple as it can get, as long as you can understand it in one read, so ofcourse each number can represent a more complex idea for somebody with more experience. A text explaining how a muscle works could be just one number for a doctor, while for somebody who doesn't know the terms almost each word form the text could be number if he has to stop and look out what it means.

so there is not a set amount of information for each of those numbers from the said line of numbers

applying that to art it can go in more ways, depending on your source of info

let's take doing a gesture drawing
>noticed what it means for a muscle to flex? 1
>noticed how the shadow bends around round forms? 2
>noticed how a muscle connects in a certain point? 3
and so on

as a beginner you would take those information in one by one, most stuff will past unnoticed even. But as you progress you will observe more ideas in one ''bite'', so one number it would become more like

>noticed how the shadow bends around a flex muscle? 1 2
>noticed how the shadow starts following the form of another muscle when one ends? 2 3
>noticed how the ends of a muscle come closer when flexing? 1 3

by the time you will be a master, just noticing the back is bend is a certain way, will make your brain think of stuff which a beginner would need 10 steps for (where does the skin fold? what muscles are flex/ relaxed? where is the shadow? at what angle is the body at compared with it's center of gravity?...)

in the long run, I think this is the way of reaching kjg levels of masteries. Just starting from somewhere or from an idea, should give you enough information on how the rest would look like, and you would only need to put the information from your head on the page one by one
>>
>>3094345

comparing it with normal construction (do a sketch while paying attention to proportions and perspective, then do the linework by adding details on the sketch, then rend by detailing even more the subject) which is basically trying a bunch of stuff in a certain order, this way of structuring the information in your head it's more a drawing by brainstorming ideas

do I make sense?
>>
File: 1434915325946.gif (684KB, 1696x1088px) Image search: [Google]
1434915325946.gif
684KB, 1696x1088px
>>3094308
this looks like some kind of exponentially growing algorithm similar but worse than spaced repetition. this is tedious and boring, which is worse than death for art. why do you think slaving over the retention of facts is better than actually thinking about what you're doing and enjoying the work in an organic way? i could understand if this were mathematics where symbols and equations can be extracted into knowledge and function. doesn't work that well in art.
>>
>>3093976
Study, practice, application. Study, practice, application. When you can't apply something, refer to your study, practice some more, then try to apply it again. If that doesn't work, then go back to study, practice, application.
>>
>>3093976
you dont "learn it"
you make it intuition so you dont have to remember it
so that means practicing and studying a crap ton
>>
Write down the stuff you learn in a notebook or something using your own words.

Imagine you're explaining it to a 5 year old. If you can't, you don't actually understand it.
>>
>>3094641
it is mainly a way of learning information, not drawing

but for me drawing is putting information down on paper, so I guess is more a preparation phase for drawing than drawing itself
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.