[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Paleo Art and Natural Science Illustration

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

If one wanted to draw dinosaurs as a personal pursual, where would be the best place to look for up-to-date information on dinosaur anatomy? I have a basic understanding of tetrapod anatomy, but there are obvious trends in the morphology of many dinosaur illustrations I see (e.g. theropods having bulbous, sometimes ostrich-like legs; though I'm sure people aren't just slapping bird anatomy straight on the dino; the anatomy has its own character).

I would like to know the "why" behind dinosaur anatomy and how much artistic license I have when it comes to drawing dinosaurs for fun (with a degree of accuracy and believability).

I'd also like to make this thread available for anyone to post paleo art and natural science works.
>>
>>3092776
Relevant video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TW7uyD0hfqg&list=PLaCDmykyjVw_B983AQ2iGuZOA3ZLJ8Sry
>>
>>3092776
You're looking at a foundation of paleontology, biology, specifically reptiles, and following the work of the top guys in the field, like Speilberg and Co. did for Jurassic Park, like Mark Crash McCreery. The good news is, there's a lot of artistic license, because so little remains of dinos except fossilized bone. You can follow the work of the top paleontologists to see what they think, but they don't even agree with each other a lot of the time.
>>
>>3092776
t-rexs look a lot more like chickens these days eh

i wonder if they wouldn't be even more chickeny if people hadn't initially thought of them as lizards
>>
>>3092791
That was both informative and amusing, thanks.
>>3092892
I'm pretty excited to get started - however, there is a cloud of uncertainty whenever I want to draw a dinosaur using only knowledge of the skeleton. I'll give a specific example - lately, I've been seeing t-rex (often in video games like Saurian) with a fleshy covering over the nasal "hole" (I knew the name of it but forgot) which vibrates when it roars. When did this happen? Why do I see it frequently now? Should I include it in my drawing? I assume it's something to do with changing the sound of the roar?
>>
>>3092911
They have an entire series of those videos, they're pretty neat
>>
>>3092911
We don't even know what vocalizations they actually had, I think it's just what the artists find cool.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.