[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Finished this picture after roughly 4 months of off and on. I

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

File: the ungrateful king.jpg (2MB, 2500x3119px) Image search: [Google]
the ungrateful king.jpg
2MB, 2500x3119px
Finished this picture after roughly 4 months of off and on. I could only really do a little bit (IE head for a day, shirt the next) at a time and it just took forever. Some portions more tedious than others. The most annoying part was the arm rests... the tiny floral patterns took freaking forever as I was trying to draw actual floral patterns smaller than the tip of my pen.

work was on an 8.5x11 sheet of computer paper. .7mm ballpoint pen. Let me know what you think! Critique welcome.

Titled "The Ungrateful King"
Surrounded by gold and embroidery. Serfs and lords from all over the many manors he collects taxes from their domain and yet the king is unhappy. Born into a life of luxury and leisure and he is malcontent. Such is the life of the ungrateful king he spites even his throne costing more than several serf's homesteads combined, yet he puts his feet up on it in subtle disrespect.
>>
>>3091842
thats not how you hold a wine glass
>>
I think you took too much time to do it, but otherwise I like the design, the pose and the rendering is ok-ish. You could've been more subtle with a ballpoint pen.
>>
He looks like he has no bones in his body. Like a sock filled with ground beef. His robe looks like icing. He's like..made out of cake and melting..slowly.

jesus christ dude.
>>
>>3091862
I hadn't intended that. Though I see what you mean. Like an overindulgence.
I mean... y'yeah I totally did mean to draw it like that.... ehehh..
>>
>>3091846
What a more perfect way to be uncouth than to hold a wine glass in such a haphazard way. If it were to break due to his neglect, it bothers him not to have a servant fetch a new one.
>>
>>3091842
Not bad. Not good either, but not bad. Keep practicing. Try not to spend too much time on one thing.
>>
>>3091900
the pose is a bit off Ill give you that
>>
>>3091842
You've got a knack for design I'd say. I really like the throne and the king's face, as well as his character description. The folds of fabric that spilled over look too organic (as in fleshy or like bio meat and bone. Or playdoh. You get me?) and lumpy. Just keep practicing on that as well as a bit of anatomy, particularly hands. The shins of his legs also look to rubbery because they should not be bending so much (around where shin meets foot). Overall I like it. Good luck!
>>
tibia and fibula broken on right leg
throne 'symmetry' is fucked
face small and hair too high
hands and fabric look like shit
left arm totally fucked

Learn to vary your line wight.
Spend less time writing a paragraph of bullshit and more time drawing.
>>
File: The Soldier and his Wife.jpg (313KB, 650x887px) Image search: [Google]
The Soldier and his Wife.jpg
313KB, 650x887px
>>3091842
Amazing use of value, dude. Like holy hell, it reads so nicely. Nothing is so incorrect as to be glaring, I think anything I could critique fits the style. His right leg reads flat, and the perspective on the throne seems odd; but it looks like something you'd find in a medieval sword fighting manual, or something Daniel Hopfer would draw. Not perfect, but I like it anyway. Perfection can be overrated, you know?

In my opinion the face is too strange a mixture of boyish and old, and that disturbs me a little. But it's just opinion.
>>
>>3092145
Holy heck man thanks for the tidbits. Love this response and I didn't know anything about Daniel Hopfer or who he was but I can see the resemblance. I do eventually want to get into realism and be able to perform realistic drawings with just a ballpoint pen and nothing else. I know it is possible I just need to hone my skills more.

This is an example of something I want to be able to do. Though am nowhere close to accomplishing yet.
>>
>gives vague erroneous crit
>op swallows it hook line and sinker
Dunning Kruger, the Thread
>>
>>3092333
where?
>>
File: IMAG007.gif (211KB, 665x689px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG007.gif
211KB, 665x689px
I like it overall,but some points to explore...

The robe could have been simulated with a blanket draped over a chair and rendered more realistically. The figure's pose could have been researched in your sketchbooks. And the wineglass came out weak:you can show both the level of wine and the fingers distorted by the curve of the glass and the liquid within if you tried. But I too have been guilty of being sick of a long project and fudging details just to get it out of my sight. Its a good job,and your next will be better.
>>
>>3091955
And I'll rescind my statement and tell you it's shit.

If you're going to counter every criticism with "lol u dont kno what ur talkin about" then you're ngmi.
>>
>>3092665
I agreed with you. What? The pose is off. I need to work on poses better. It is something I am aware of and it would make my drawings better. I have this weird skeletal odd way of drawing poses and it's improper and incorrect. I need to look at some formal books to improve it.
>>
>>3091842
I can do that in a week.
>>
>>3092972
If you spent 10 hours a day yes. I think you could. To be honest it is mostly in regard to my inability to handle drawing a repetitive thing like a pattern for an extended period of time. Drives me crazy sometimes yet it is something I do all the time. The arm rest floral pattern was driving me crazy... the necklace was another...
If I was being paid hourly to do this I could probably handle it within a week.
>>
>>3092976
I can do that in >10 hours.
>>
>>3092976
>If you spent 10 hours a day yes.
>70 hours to draw that
Qué?
>>
>>3092976
You mean the ornate? There's barely any of them there, really.
>>
>>3092984
Mostly its because of the medium. I am doing things in pen and if I am going to shade, I try not to shade too dark less I can't turn around and work with it. So I shade light... put more light shade ontop of the light shade until I get a nice gradient of shades let alone the pattern. I'm sure there is some way to speed up my drawing.
>>
File: 1502195105704_2.jpg (3MB, 2500x3119px) Image search: [Google]
1502195105704_2.jpg
3MB, 2500x3119px
>>3091842
>>
>>3091842
My thoughts on the glass holding hand is it would look better if it were lazily holding the stem and letting the wine spill.
And a stronger pose overall might be if he were leaning like >>3093318. Maybe also holding his head up with the other hand?

Not bad though, keep practicing.
>>
>>3092333
post your critique then, faggot.
>>
P H A L L I C
H
A
L
L
I
C
>>
>>3091878
The bother is waiting for the servant to get one and possibly getting it all over you.
>>
4 months... i kniw you probably stole this from somewhere but man, 4 months is too long foe that quality of work
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.