[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rendering aircraft

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 5

File: X-02 Wyvern Yellow.png (286KB, 1913x1085px) Image search: [Google]
X-02 Wyvern Yellow.png
286KB, 1913x1085px
I'd like to render the aircraft I draw, but having always coloured in flats, I don't know how to go about it.
What are some artist recommendations to learn from?
As for using photographs as reference, I'd like to see how other people go about it beforehand instead of rushing blindly ahead and not knowing where I go wrong.
>>
>>3090904
its generally metal, so make the surfaces of it highly reflective with a strong and defined source of light, also remember to take bounce light and cast shadows into account
>>
File: 5450396847_a8bac23329_b.jpg (296KB, 1024x743px) Image search: [Google]
5450396847_a8bac23329_b.jpg
296KB, 1024x743px
>>3090904
>>3091330
Actually aircraft paints are low sheen, but appear glossy in strong sunlight. Only early Cold War american designs used bare metal that is highly reflective.
>>
>>3090904
Read How to Render by Scott Robertson.
>>
>>3091830
This is really good. Thanks, mate.
I'd like to have a few artists for "master" studies later on though.
>>
>>3091836
I like John Liberto a lot. These days he doesn't do much in terms of planes, but if you search around online you can find some of his older pieces.

Otherwise just study from photos. There's tons of great photos of planes from all angles in all lighting.
>>
File: DDQe0j5U0AAnOkF.jpg (84KB, 1199x848px) Image search: [Google]
DDQe0j5U0AAnOkF.jpg
84KB, 1199x848px
>>3091839
>John Liberto
His sci-fi stuff is great too. Photos studies are good and I plan on using them a lot, but master studies are about using better artists as reference to aid in learning the ropes. I also helps when you wish to draw some fictional designs.
I quite like peter6409 (pictured) and inui (aka jt1116) myself, but I don't have a large list of artists I know in the first place.
>>
File: fb_spread.jpg (126KB, 900x582px) Image search: [Google]
fb_spread.jpg
126KB, 900x582px
>>3091840
Maybe try Paperblue, though you'll need to sift through a ton of his images to find the few that are relevant to you. But he paints in a more transparent and painterly way which might be a nice change from the other guys you are looking at.

Mullins also has a few, but not that many, pic related is one. He's good to look at for materials and lighting in general though.
>>
File: 3a81b4002ed1ee192cab9af9605a6eb4.jpg (234KB, 1230x657px) Image search: [Google]
3a81b4002ed1ee192cab9af9605a6eb4.jpg
234KB, 1230x657px
>>3091843
Paperblue's environments are really neat to look at. The way he paints is really interesting and pleasing, but it's not the direction I'm planning to go.
Do you have a link to Mullins' gallery or his first name? Reverse image seach only turned up what is, I assume, a mobile game using that picture.
>>
>>3091855
Yeah it's Craig Mullins. He's widely considered the best digital painter on the planet, so he's good to know. Though as I said before, he hasn't painted that many aircraft.
Here's his site http://www.goodbrush.com/
>>
>>3091859
... As usual I'm completely ignorant of the big names.
After browsing through the different categories I didn't find aircraft, other than hovercrafts and other science fiction vehicles. Thank you nonetheless.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.