[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Complete Works By Some Dude

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 10

What does it take to improve? How much effort are you putting in compared to people who got to a pro level? Do you need to make another thread whining?

2008-2010 all stuff by some dude who improved a fuckload

http://algenpfleger.deviantart.com/gallery/27635231/Tons-of-practice

1600+ files
browse it, gain some perspective.
>>
>>3088767
wow, his stuff is really mediocre
>>
Thank you anon.
We all know it takes a lot of hard work and time to get better, sometimes seeing stuff like that brings back motivation some of us lack.
>>
>>3088767
All that progress for this shit? I've seen anons here make better progress. Guess talent is real after all.
>>
>>3088769
yeah so mediocre /s
>>
>>3088772
He draws what he likes. You can shoot for you find appealing. The point is he improved clearly and by an amazing amount. Apply that work ethic to your own goals, and boom.
>>
>>3088767
Thanks a lot for this anon.
>>
>>3088773
That's not a painting just so you know
>>
>>3088772

Post your work bitch.
>>
>>3088780
Here's the psd
http://algenpfleger.deviantart.com/art/Mini-MiG-psd-202776411
>>
Anyone got his video tut? Looks like he took it offline - http://algenpfleger.deviantart.com/art/Video-tutorial-488795731
>>
>>3088786
downloaded and proving my point further that it's a render where he just cut pieces and put them on seperate layers. Do you seriously think someone who has paint strokes in every artwork can make something like this in 2 hours?
>>
>>3088784
Wow get off your boyfriends balls for a minute. It's not that good for the amount of sweat he put in, further proving the theory of talent existing. I unironically like his older art better--especially his comics.
>>
>>3088793
B-But it's mediocre, how could it be something impressive?

Yes noobface, he painted it using the lasso tool and a smooth brush. The shapes aren't that complex.
>>
>>3088796
algen regressed. After he hit a certain point it looks like he stopped practicing altogether. However faces were never his main point, his hard work mostly shows in his realism and perspective. pic related is a good show of it, all from imagination.
>>
>>3088807

I'm still not impressed. To each his own I guess.
>>
>>3088796
We have different sensibilities and tastes. His work is not to my taste either. Again, that's not the point. And if he lacks the spark but still got to that point, that's pretty awesome. In my book this guy has made it.

Sure he's made mistakes. Everyone does. The good thing is you can learn from others mistakes and choose a path that aligns better with your goals. The message here is one of persistence and hard work and not giving into doubt and cynicism every 5 seconds.
>>
File: algencomp01_smaller.jpg (3MB, 2560x4609px) Image search: [Google]
algencomp01_smaller.jpg
3MB, 2560x4609px
Compiled all into 3 images

1/3
>>
File: algencomp02_smaller.jpg (3MB, 2552x4872px) Image search: [Google]
algencomp02_smaller.jpg
3MB, 2552x4872px
>>3089771
2/3
>>
File: algencomp03_smaller.jpg (4MB, 2542x3435px) Image search: [Google]
algencomp03_smaller.jpg
4MB, 2542x3435px
>>3089774
3/3
>>
>>3088767

He drew like a maniac, hurt his wrist in the process and had to work lighter after some recovery time. He also evolved a ton when he was drawing everyday with Janna Schimer, which was what probably made him realize a lot of flaws here and there. It's great to have someone to spend the day drawing I guess...

He is good and I admire his path as an artists, but I seriously dislike the works he do...
>>
>>3088767
Proof that Technical understanding doesn't buy taste
>>
>>3089811

She really broke his heart, didn't she? He seemed super clingy about her
>>
>>3088769
>>3088772
>>3088796
>>3088823
Holy fuck you people are insecure.
>>
>>3089826

From what I can remember, yes... Hes online persona changed a lot after that, he became kinda distant. I guess it passed some time later, but after the Ca.org school thing that happened to him and Janna I stopped following what he was up to.
>>
>>3089844

I liked his old work with super hard edges. Now he's going a more impressionistic route but it just comes off as sloppy rather than loose and painterly to me
>>
>>3089811
>He also evolved a ton when he was drawing everyday with Janna Schimer, which was what probably made him realize a lot of flaws here and there.
That's definitely one of the best things you can do. They've done studies on that in workplaces. New hires that worked next to the most skilled learned the fastest and became the new top workers. There's luck involved in getting with the right people, but when you work hard and show a lot of dedication (banged your head against the wall for a while) great ppl are much more likely to take you under their wings, compared to when you're whiny and lazy.

I've also noticed his skill seemed to pick up the most after doing longer more careful studies, instead of those quick autopilot ones, and also when he did a big piece. You have to broaden your awareness with everything you do.
>>
>>3088823
assuming you're not just trolling (probably)
what is impressive to you then?
>>
>>3089816
Yeah he probably wasn't ingesting enough inspiring material. Also picked kinda lame generic reference pictures to study.

In an interview the Berserk creator (arguably a decent achievement taste wise), in order to make up for a lack of life experience he tried to read as much as he could that was recommended to him. That seems to be a way of honing your taste. Completely submerge yourself in greatness.
>>
>>3089859
Yeah, both of Them had similar trace at that time, really interesting.
>>
>>3089771
>>3089774
>>3089776
Damn
>>
>>3089859
>I've also noticed his skill seemed to pick up the most after doing longer more careful studies, instead of those quick autopilot ones, and also when he did a big piece. You have to broaden your awareness with everything you do.
Correct. When you push yourself to put the fundamental foundation pieces together into a finished composition, there's a lot to learn there - just doing fundamentals over and over just make you good at practicing. When you jump into a more complex composition, it all comes together (or should), and you get new perspectives on all of it.

This is the process this forum does not have a lot of information on, because too many here are stuck at practising, and don't know how to lead others onto the next steps, because they havent done it themselves.
In art school or college level art classes, they don't make you "grind fundies" for 6 semesters - they get you through that in the first year, guiding students through and getting them moving towards more finished studies and finished pieces. Each semester after that is more steps up, working more and more through technique, into composition and concept, then refining styles and creating finished work.
>>
File: 1488806362483.jpg (115KB, 1500x750px) Image search: [Google]
1488806362483.jpg
115KB, 1500x750px
I shouldn't need to say it, but Im gunna. This person is good. Why do people refuse to believe what they can literally see.
>>3089871
He doesnt need to be impressed by it?
>>
>>3088825
>The message here is one of persistence and hard work and not giving into doubt and cynicism every 5 seconds.

That we both can agree on. I don't remember if it was his sketchbook or someone else but I recall (someone) saying they spent a great deal of time doing waste of time copies or whatever and that they wren't working smart.
>>
>>3089771
>>3089774
>>3089776
What am I supposed to take from that?
>>
File: 1409551548863.jpg (21KB, 400x286px) Image search: [Google]
1409551548863.jpg
21KB, 400x286px
>>3089771
>>3089774
>>3089776
Finally. For years I've heard anons say 'I practice 10 hours a day!' and for some reason they never say specifically WHAT they do in that time. At least this gives some insight on that shit
>>
>>3091185

Yeah, it was him. I think he really meant it, but it's obvious that you gain knowledge from mileage.
At the time he was doing dozen of copies of the same muscle groups and I think poses too.
>>
File: 1428902238754.png (2KB, 320x120px) Image search: [Google]
1428902238754.png
2KB, 320x120px
>>3089771
>>3089774
>>3089776
>sameface throughout years
>copying the same exact "studies"
>people still wonder why he is mediocre

lel
>>
>>3088807
not to diss him or anything but this just looks like a good 3D software render.

Whats the point of putting in all the hard work to paint like that? I imagine the floor alone took hours
>>
>>3091325
>I imagine the floor alone took hours
seriously? he used the line tool to make a 2-point perspective grid for floor tile, mashed some colors with custom brushes in a layer underneath for rendering of the floor (you don't even have to be neat about it, just identify the shadows, lighting, and reflected surfaces where they go), and then locked the floor tile layer and painted over it with a solid color. It probably took between 30-40 minutes.
>>
>>3088767
Its depressing that after all this work he is so mediocre.
>>
>>3092228

That's probably because ic has distorted your expectations to be unrealistic.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.