[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you actually go about promoting your artwork to get a

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 7

File: zAspvQv.jpg (294KB, 1920x2560px) Image search: [Google]
zAspvQv.jpg
294KB, 1920x2560px
How do you actually go about promoting your artwork to get a decent following. I have been trying to get some exposure for a few months now but nothing is really happening.

I tried Instagram, Facebook, Reddit etc. I researched what hashtags to use, when to post and so on, to no avail.

My posts never pick up enough steam, before they get lost in the depths of the internet.

Though my art isn't perfect and I am still what I would consider Advanced beginner-tier, I see a lot of artists that I think are much worde with like 50k followers while I can't even get into the 3-digit zone.

Any of you, have a decent following and got some tips?

Pic related is a portrait study I did recently.
>>
File: crying.png (47KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
crying.png
47KB, 645x773px
>>3088746
theres no recipe to get followers
>>
>>3088799
not looking for a recipe, just for helpful advice. obviously there must be ways to do this that are more effective like others, like in all things
>>
>>3088746
The secret is that you have to draw/paint popular people/characters to gain initial attention. Then once you have them hooked, you show them your actual work.
>>
>>3088746
also what kind of paint are you using?
>>
>>3088746
be sure to also sprinkle your posts with liberal amounts of extreme left-leaning politics if you want an internet following. make sure you spend a lot of time complaining about manspreading, cultural appropriation and how drumpfh got two scoops if ice cream while everyone else only got one. people love nothing more than mindless inane nonsense that strokes their egos and reinforces their preconceived biases.
not saying it will work, but in this day and age it definitely doesn't hurt to try.
>>
>>3088805
Oil paint, Rembrandt mostly, Sennelier for the white because rembrandts Titanium white is super chalky
>>
>>3088746
It really seems to be almost entirely random. If you're extremely good, you'll get the attention but if you're just okay then it's a hit or a miss. I've seen a lot of good artist who don't get a lot attention and vice versa. That's a nice painting btw. If you do actors do something that's currently relevant and very popular like Game of Thrones.

>>3088808
dis nigga
>>
>>3088816
The actor thing could be a good idea, though i usually prefer to work on my own ideas. This was just an exception, because it's a birthday present
>>
>>3088746

Dude, no ones gonna go for something that looks like it came out of history book. You want a following? Start with Loish and anime. Find a way to combine the two. My most popular artwork is a fanart piece I did in 2008 that combined Tim Burton and Death Note. To create a following, present yourself as some kind of special hero. You have two groups to impress: either teenage girls, or teenage boys. For the girls, be edgy and angsty. Pick a safe cause to champion like depression or social justice of some kind. For teenage boys, go the Noah Bradley route. Small guy in forground, epic fortress or big monster in the background. Being able to draw pretty skies is a necessity for both. Got it? Good luck.
>>
>>3088820
>>3088746

Care to post more work or your ig or wherever your uploading. I'd like to see more. I'm into traditional painting and this is a breath of fresh air to the usual anime stuff.
>>
>>3088746
If you not baiting, create portfolio on Behance.
>>
>>3088821
That just made me realize I don't know what kind of taste teenage boys have these days. Not even what people my age group like. But damn does doing Noah Bradley shit sound like it would work.
>>
>>3088831
sure why not here is my ig:
https://www.instagram.com/mariuslaurischkat_art/

>>3088843
I mean I'm on the same page with you not knowing the taste of teenagers, but I feel like so many people are doing the whole "small dude in front of fantasy landscape"-trope that people are grwoing a bit sick of it. But I could be wrong.
>>
Draw the cast of Game Of Thrones as cats.
>>
>>3088839
Gonna try that, thanks
>>
>>3088846
How do I get as good as you?
>>
>>3088850
He probably from Watts courses
>>
>>3088850
What really helped me improve over the last months was Bargue drawings. If you are having trouble with drawing precise or judging value, these will help you immensly. Spend at least 50-60 hours on one and have someone else, prferably a teacher or another artist look at it.
>>
>>3088862
No unfortunately not, I live in germany and his online school is way too expensive for me
>>
>>3088864
Mind telling me if you believe in talent?
>>
>>3088865
Tough question, I think there is an innate ability to art, but it is the same with maths or music. People with "talent" just improve faster and generally have more interest in their respective fields. But I don't think you can be born an amazing artist.
>>
>>3088846

All in all pretty good, I particularly like "nude 1". Though if I can give a little criticism and probably why you don't have a lot of followers. Is that a lot of the stuff your uploading is a little boring as most seem to be studies.
>>
Man, I'm facing the same dilemma.... I barely have 150 followers on IG, so my plan consists in promoting my stuff on pages with lots of followers, even if I have to pay for it (usually the case)

I'm also thinking about making a "1 sketch by day" type of thing, traditionaly, to contrast with my digital art, in the likes of Inktober (as I see, people usually like more traditional and quick draws, see @eleeza)

Good luck and nice work btw!
>>
Your ig is boring and inconsistent
>>
>>3088870
True. I was in study-mode for a bit the last 6 months or so, but I have some finished pieces coming up soon, so maybe that will help

>>3088875
If you try the paid promotion thing, let me know how it goes, I considered it myself

>>3088897
I can see that, will keep that in mind for the future.
>>
anon your work is really lovely and I want to follow you, but if you aren't posting daily or making fan arts you wont have followers.
>https://www.instagram.
com/marcomazzoniart/?hl=en
>https://www.instagram.com/cyarine/?hl=en
mazzoni makes small drawings at a consistent daily rate, but lois posts cute cartoony girls daily with digital colors and started out with a little fan art. If you want more followers, draw stuff that a common young girl will like.
>>
your stuffs not really good and its all studies/atelier training
no originality or techinique
i wouldnt worry about getting followers until you progress a little more
>>
File: Rjtz-y32qtk.jpg (454KB, 2048x1367px) Image search: [Google]
Rjtz-y32qtk.jpg
454KB, 2048x1367px
>>3088946
>fanart
>lois
>cyarine
>If you want more followers, draw stuff that a common young girl will like
This post is pure cancer
>>
If op is considering drawing cartoons and superheros to get followers he should simply an hero instead.
Focus on your work; improvement is the top priority; not hearts from vapid childish morons like >>3088946
>>
>>3088846
Holy shit I love you and your work, n-no homo
>>3088946
While I think that this anon is a retard, your painting style looks a lot like Paolo Rivera, so you could try painting some superheroes to gain a follower base
>>
>>3088902
Ok.
Also, don't change your subject matter just to gain more followers, I've tried, its not a good trade.
Focus on what you like, study, post as often as is possible to you, try engaging a conversation with your audience, try some art groups (level up, 10k hours...)
This are some tips I've gathered from some artists a while back, hope it helps.
>>
Well if you don't want a lot of followers, don't follow my advice. I reached my first 10k last month for only 30 posts of plain studies that I turned into Harry Potter, DC/Marvel, "#ootd" drawings to show off my style/personality, and some of the pretty youtube girls I like for fun. now at almost 17k when I post my original works, they like/comment and a few support my ko-fi page. I've gotten follow backs/comments by a lot of artists I really admire. You can do your studies and improve WHILE refining those sketches into popular media you like; its a false dichotomy constantly propagated on here that you can't make studies into fanart.
>>
>>3088956
I told that to myself for a while not, that I need to progress before putting myself out there. But I dont have much time left before I hit the ground and when I do, I better do it running. I would love to be able to just study for another year or two, but it is simply not possible.

>>3088985
Thanks man, I appreciate it. Also yeah I could bring myself to do a superhero now and then I guess.

>>3088997
Yeah I definietly need to post more often. Also isnt't level up against self-promotion? I haven't been there in a while, the constant spam of photobashed Sci-fi landscapes got a bit annoying.
>>
>>3088746
you can draw extremely controversial shit/comics and/or contact writers of mainstream websites like buzzfeed and try to make them publish your pieces
>>
>>3088846
Your skillset is good enough to make people stay, but no one has any reason to look for you to begin with. It's your choice of subject. You don't have to draw what's popular to get a following. You just need to change your subject so it revolves around a specific sort of taste so you can attract a specific demographic. People will say paint popular fanart, because that nets you the highest numbers, but you can build a couple thousand modest following through good subject matter rather than strictly doing fan art. Depends how desperate for popularity you are versus what you want to paint and be known for. If you want high numbers you do fan art. If you don't care about high numbers then just think about demographic.

For demographic you don't have to think of children or popularity. For example, some people love to create horror, and everyone who loves horror flocks to them. It's about the atmosphere of your work. What does it invoke? Some people only want to see cute shit. Some people only like beautiful things. Some people are obsessed with their fandoms. Some people love the morbid. Some people are only interested in technical things. Your current work would only attract a very specific kind of artist and nothing else. Take some time and think about what you want to sell and who you want to sell it to. Who is your audience?
>>
>>3088816
This. Try a painting of Jon Snow or Daenerys. People love that shit
>>
>>3089325
Holy Shit, yeah that makes a lot of sense. That helped me a lot thanks.
>>
>>3088846
Obviously you are skilled but who are you marketing towards? I'd like to know what paid work you've done. You're essentially posting studies over and over again - fine for a student, but for getting work/attention it is only really attractive to other artists and not necessarily clients. If you've no qualms selling-out a tad you could do fanart. Next step are flattering portraits - aim to do male. For bodies - do women but tastefully, pin-up shit but not erotic. Flavour of the month/ recently dead celebs are the fan-art equivalent here and to a lesser extent, doing portraits of people you know/their dog. Another route is story painting, which is much harder, time-consuming, etc. but more likely to connect to people. An offshoot of this is doing politically charged work, already a pre-packaged story but can really harm and support you. You could also do photorealism if you can stomach that trash.

Since you're a tradfag I'd say seriously try your local art scene, zines, galleries, communities. Start with your local figure drawing group and smile. If you have FINISHED WORK, poke gallery heads for their thoughts and see if you're worth pimping out at their estate. Art is not just skill unfortunately and you have to network where your jobs could be. Anons here might shit on Lois and Ilya but they're making money, have attention and are being paid to work while most anons post their shit for free. They can quit today, shut off their patreons and online presence and chase after the greats if they wanted. Most aren't so lucky to not have to do this mainstream shit to pay the bills before going toe to toe with the Old Masters.
>>
1. have a variety of social media (tumblr, instagram, twitter, etc.)
2. post something (it can be WIPs or sketches too, bitches love WIPs and sketches) every other day, no exceptions
3. 70% fanart 30% original starting out, and you can increase original the more you go along
4. your original stuff better be either cute, or tell a story, because people don't give a shit about random paintings
5. engage your followers. Host giveaways, answer their questions, etc. Always be the friendly professional. Don't get into any drama. If someone says something bad about you, completely ignore it.

t. 15,000 followers on my social media, which I know isn't a lot in the long run, but it's more than you have now
>>
>still recommending OP to do fanart
>>
>>3089458
Post proofs.
>>
>>3088846
Your work is nice but nobody's gonna care unless they're a fine artist themselves.
As said by previous posts >>3089325 >>3089430 you need to pick subject matter that's more likely to draw in normies.
>>
>>3089317
Level up! is against blatant self promotion, but if you post an almost finished piece seeking "advice" and people like your stuff, it works as promotion for you. i've seen it a hundred times. People post something there, and a few hours later is all over FB, Instagram, Reddit....
Make some interesting questions, things like that. Also, give good advice on other peoples work.
>>
>>3088746

Look, the truth of the matter is that your style of work is completely out of fashion. No one cares about nude studies or portraiture, especially of stern looking men in suits. Even if you did these things exceptionally well, no one would blink an eye because they'll see your work and go "oh it's like those thousand other master studies by like, really good artist" and they won't distinguish your work from work for a hundred years ago. It might as well be from a hundred years ago. If you want a following, you have to have a catchy style and stick to it, posting often. People won't follow you because you have talent. People will follow you because you have something specific that other artists are not providing, at least not in bulk. I have around ~3k watchers on DA, but it pretty much amounts to nothing. Why? Because half of those followers started following me for stuff I don't do anymore. And also recognize that a cult following is very different from people who just decide to like your watch you. Some people have a lot of casual followers, while some people are worshiped and obsessed over, which is what amounts to the big $$. That is what we call otaku culture.

Above all else, just draw/paint what you enjoy and don't worry about a following. Unless you're willing to sell your soul, you will lose to the obsessed otakus.
>>
>>3089664
I'm not really looking for a cult-following. I just want to make a living, but you guys are all corret. I need to produce consistent work that attracts an audience.
>>
>>3090651
Don't focus on getting a following. All that shit is shallow and you won't feel happy with yourself for making art you don't like. As an artist your name is your greatest value. Don't smear and ruin it by drawing literal shit that's popular just for the likes. Stay true to yourself and your name, make things that are good quality and that you are proud of. Make things you'd be happy to put your name on.
>>
>>3090660
but the illusion of people caring about your art is better than making stuff that you know no one will see
>>
>>3090679
Wrong. You only think that because you need money to support yourself. If you were already making enough money from a different venture, you wouldn't give a wet fart about creating art that panders to an audience, instead, you'd just produce works that are meaningful to you.
>>
>>3089325
>>3089430
These are the best replies.

Consider this: Teenage girls are the easiest demographic to target and reel in as social media followers.. They are also the least likely to ever pay for art.
Find a niche and work towards that. As other have said, your stuff is a bit too 'generic study' - You need work that stands well as a print. Something that somebody would want to have in front of them and see daily. Something with a 'feeling' or 'story' to it.
>>
>>3088746

Find a NICHE. Thousands of people can draw portraits semi-well. Your standard is not mindblowingly good enough for you to just try to compete with the sea of portrait artists out there
>>
File: mpv-shot0095.jpg (41KB, 640x352px) Image search: [Google]
mpv-shot0095.jpg
41KB, 640x352px
>>3088746
>it's another bitching about other people thread where OP fights with trolls and retards over delusional issues.
>it's another thread where OP assumes success is just skill + marketing and disregards educating themself on anything of the human condition, social dynamics, or philosophy.
>>
>>3090741
I honestly dont see anyone bitching or fighting in this thread. I enjoy es the discussion and found it helpful. Also I dont disregard any of that and would love to know how you came to that conclusion. In fact I am very interested in philosophy and the human condition, it is one of the main reasons i like to paint figures and people and make a point of educating myself in those and other things.
>>
File: demonsorcerer.jpg (200KB, 707x1000px) Image search: [Google]
demonsorcerer.jpg
200KB, 707x1000px
First time poster, just looking for some feedback. It's not finished, gonna add some blackwork and colors but the spirit is here. I can post more of my stuff if you want to, hope you like and have advices.
>>
>>3090741
>It's another anon lies about shit post
>>
>>3090774
>>3086411
>>
>>3090779
Going there instead, thanks
>>
>>3088803
This

This is going to be my strategy.
Begin with fanart and then gradually show your original works.
>>
Did Buscemi commission that?

It looks good, though.
>>
>>3088846
You're quite good but you need to post more, more updates, use good tags and aim at a demographic or a theme.

People like to see galleries of artists that have plenty of stuff, not lonely small ones.
>>
>>3091915
Thanks, It's a birthday present for a friend who is a fan of Buscemi
>>
>>3088746

You'll find that if you're an interesting character people will more than likely be attracted to your art. You'll probably make more interesting art too
>>
>>3093952
Not OP, but how do you make yourself be, or at least appear, more interesting?
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.