[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mangaka, how hard is it for us?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 14

File: Untitled.png (118KB, 1356x432px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
118KB, 1356x432px
Mangaka, how hard is it for us?
>>
The hardest part of it is getting over the fact that you enjoy the idea of being a mangaka and then learning how to draw. Most people just like the idea and don't even have good stories to back it up much less art skill. If you understand the amount of work it takes to be a mangaka and actually set out for it? You'll probably succeed unless you have shit taste and are unable to relate with the Japanese.
>>
File: 1418342589498.png (14KB, 376x260px) Image search: [Google]
1418342589498.png
14KB, 376x260px
>>3087648
Why can't people just draw comics with anime faces? Why do they have to become a mangaka in Japan?

I mean, you don't have to go to Japan and do all that other bullshit. There's a market at home.
>>
>>3087671
manga in usa is really unfamous.
>>
>>3087686
Nowadays you don't really have to set out to get published through print media in the first place. Just post your comic online and get a worldwide audience.
>>
Wanting to become a mangaka is a phase a lot of artists had in their youth. Wanting to become like someone you admire is normal.
>>
File: 3b37119a3fa3ddb6486b8c086470a16b.jpg (796KB, 1890x1321px) Image search: [Google]
3b37119a3fa3ddb6486b8c086470a16b.jpg
796KB, 1890x1321px
The problem with these guys is that they're normalfags that will never realise that their stories are shit. While they might improve at art (if they also recognize their art is shit), they will always be bound making shitty copies of good manga. They lack originality and use established standards that shouldn't be there in the first place. Not working for a magazine like shonen jump gives you complete freedom in storytelling. I hear time and time again that shonen manga is designed to go on forever, and unless that is what the author wants, a story can turn to shit (Bleach). Find your own voice. Focus on making great manga before focusing on becoming a mangaka in Japan. The only reason you should even want to work for a magazine is if you want to be famous and that shouldn't be your priority anyway. The internet is your audience.
>>
>>3087941
best part is goku not given shit
>>
>>3087941
Shounen manga don't exactly have Shakespearean writing, y'know.
>>
>>3087686
I'm pretty sure manga in America outsells the comics industry. The manga section in my Barnes and Noble dwarfs the comic book aisle.
>>
>>3088005
Shakespeare isn't even that Good he just inadvertently developed modern storytelling tropes and devices. Its the "Citizen Kane Effect"
>>
File: 137593505136.jpg (61KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
137593505136.jpg
61KB, 600x800px
>>3088013
Cringe
>>
>>3088013
I have this vague feeling that you have supremely shit taste in storytelling
>>
File: RCO022_1497488382.jpg (543KB, 1041x1600px) Image search: [Google]
RCO022_1497488382.jpg
543KB, 1041x1600px
>>3087686
This is a popular Marvel comic.
>>
>>3087941
How do you even collab on something like this, holy shit
>>
>>3088349
It isn't a collab. The pic was made by one guy.
You can tell because some characters aren't even drawn in the artstyle of the source material.
>>
>>3088056
>>3088009
>>3087671
I have heard that the diference in Comics and manga is that in comics, you got one dude that does the story, the inking, the sketching, etc.

While in manga theres just one dude or two (Story, artist), and if you got money you get assistants.
>>
>>3088881
Gotta disagree. Many comic book artists are solo or duos, just self published as "grafik noffels."

I'd say the primary difference is actually reading direction, as in, left to right or right to left.
>>
File: Sage2.jpg (396KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Sage2.jpg
396KB, 1600x1200px
>>3088898
>>
File: 4.jpg (731KB, 1242x1920px) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
731KB, 1242x1920px
>>
>>3089084
>noone puts black American people in my japanese media
>>
>>3089084
kek what salty person made this shit?
>>
>>3089128
I don't have a link but it's some girl on Tumblr and she makes tons of these
>>
>>3089084
do black japs exist? I have never seen one.
>>
>>3089133
b-but muh diversity!!!
>>
>>3089133
Obviously anon, it's impossible for there to be blacks stationed in Japan and not have black japs.
>>
>>3089133
I'd be surprised if they didn't. It's just that they don't even make up a sizable minority of the population.
>>
>>3089133
https://youtu.be/1KMO02xxX1g
>>
>>3089084
Isn't there like 3 black artists who do comics? I remember a post on /ic/ about them, they were pretty good too. They each have included black characters into whatever they did as well.
>>
File: FelipeSmith_300.jpg (22KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
FelipeSmith_300.jpg
22KB, 300x225px
What's your opinion about Felipe Smith /ic/?
>>
>>3089250
Who?
>>
White manga and that other guy right. I know AppleBlack is very generic judging from the videos he made about them. His skill level is pretty high but the art just looks like a naruto/bleach ripoff.
>>
>>3089256
Samefagging here but his youtube channel will forever be more popular than his comics. Pretty sad that he has to shill his own comic in every video he makes.
>>
>>3089260
You're absolutely right. Most people who do this sorta thing ('American Manga') are just way worse. If his art was less generic it would look more appealing.
>>
File: Lmao.jpg (90KB, 400x530px) Image search: [Google]
Lmao.jpg
90KB, 400x530px
>>3087671
>There's a market at home.

Certainly true in Europe, this is number 2 in sales in France, currently sold over 4 millions of volume.
>>
File: tumblr_mn2fqcXnIX1r5dsefo2_500.png (415KB, 500x452px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mn2fqcXnIX1r5dsefo2_500.png
415KB, 500x452px
>>3089255
guy who made this
>>
>>3087648
They'll never gonna make it. If you want to be a mangaka you gotta know how to write a story, and they only copy what is popular which doesn't work. So many of them want to make shonen which is popular because they release that shit on a weekly basis. There's no way that can work without assistants and a consistent schedule.
>>
>>3088013
you uncultured weeb shitstain, go read Macbeth again and think about the story. I bet you used modern English translations for Shakespeare's stories.
>>
>>3089282
That black dude looks like he's from one of those mickey mouse comics
>>
>>3089280
Belgian speaking : why are modern french artists trying to hard to follow manga artstyles?... Even animations seem to suffer from it. (exemples habituels : Dofus,Wakfu et j'en passe...)
>>
>>3087671
When you're young, you aren't aware of what kinds of jobs exist in the market, let alone the fact that you can kinda do whatever you want and try to sell it yourself. Kids pick occupations that already exist and people who they already know and pursue that because they don't have enough worldview to truly know their options yet.

If they are American for example, they would probably think they have to draw capeshit to make comics in America and they don't want to draw capeshit. They admire manga more, so they get the grandiose idea of going to Japan becoming a mangaka. They don't have enough understanding or education to know that they can just make comics at home and build a following themselves. Schools don't teach that shit. Schools teach you to join a corporation that already exists.
>>
>>3089256
What the hell?

This guy literally looks like a Kubo rip off. What's up will all these artist that rip off shounenshit artists?
>>
>>3089315
Westerners literally can't into manga. It's in their genes.
>>
File: images.jpg (17KB, 179x281px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
17KB, 179x281px
>>3089309

French speaking. Anime, more than manga. Historically, we only had very limited and shitty access to manga, whereas the maintstream TV was flooded with anime. Because they didn't have any understanding of how Japan works, they put on air Hokuto no Ken on kids shows and were surprised when the parents complained that it sounded violent.
Imagine the impact on a kid like I was those days, going from highly formatted US cartoons like Captain Planet directly to
> Hatatatatata!
> Omae wa shinde iru
Sobral is a direct product of that first generation, and his infatuation with Saint Seyia shows everywhere in his work.

The real answer to your question is that it sells. Dofus, Wakfu, those sell. The country who used to like Druillet, Meobius and Bilal is now reading colored sub-manga in 48 pages.

My ancestors had their chinoiserie phase. This is the same. Give us some time to digest it and produce quality again.
>>
>>3088881
Comic books are written by committees now, hence all the SJW themes and drawn by some tool from tumblr.
>>
>>3089309
Because you only know French artists that are trying to hard to follow manga artstyles
>>
>>3089332
your pic rel is actully one of the few interesting "manfras" (god I hate that word)
>>
>>3089332
>The country who used to like Druillet, Meobius and Bilal is now reading colored sub-manga in 48 pages.
You mean that more high quality BD isn't selling very well?... Shit. That's what I dream of doing, creator owned BD.
>>
>>3087648
The fuck is a Mangaka? Is that another word for "weeaboo who can't really figure draw so he settles for deformed faces instead of actually studying like the rest of us"?
>>
>>3089434
isn't it Franga / Franime
>>
>>3089526
Mangaka is the Japanese term for cartoonist.
>>
File: 121.png (256KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
121.png
256KB, 256x256px
>>3088900
the tea of this plant is excellent to treat inflammations, but it tastes so horrible that you have to use loads of sugar or honey to stomach it
>>
>>3087648
Going to try and get published by Shonen Jump in a few months.
>>
>>3089579
Good luck. Have any thing to show!
>>
>>3089611
I got dubs but typed the wrong punctuation.
>>
>>3089528
idk, there isn't really an agreed upon word so you can make up shit
>>
Americans can draw manga perfectly like any other jap can. Sadly a lot of americans typically add a western touch too and turns out very poorly. Kind of like a cartoon trying to be anime than it just simply being anime.
>>
>>3087671
My story is set in Japans past, they're probably the only ones who would even care for it.
>>
>>3089170
Nikolas Draper and Whyt Manga are the only two I know.

Draper has a very appealing style I can't deny. Seems like he's hit his upper limit though.
>>
>>3087941
Seconding this.

Shounen manga are flawed by default as they're meant to be indefinite, and are written on a per chapter basis. Actual storytelling requires you to slow things down emotionally to create bigger impacts within a story. Otherwise you create a tale where you're constantly upping the stakes to maintain momentum.

Also, I never got the idea of the desire to work for a Japanese magazine. Plenty of western publishers will print manga-styled comics, and you don't have to deal with that ridiculous lifestyle/schedule. Which is killer not only for you, but also your work. Part of the reason Berserk and other Seinen, and even H-Manga tend to be much better than shounen, especially in terms of art, is cause they're given way more time to create their stuff.
>>
File: Lucky-Luke-c.jpg (64KB, 500x533px) Image search: [Google]
Lucky-Luke-c.jpg
64KB, 500x533px
Japanese manga is shit desu. European mangas are better.
>>
>>3088349
It was all drawn by Yusuke Murata, the mangaka for One Punch Man. Dude's a beast, draws beautiful faces and his coloring is my favorite out of all mangakas.
>>
>>3087648
I'm 24 and I started drawing because someday I want to tell stories, in the format of comics, stylized like manga, black and white ink.

I don't care about living in Japan or even making money out of it. I just want to create a good comic, every day write a little bit. I already like my job. Just getting decent at art is kinda difficult, hopefully I'll be at a level where I can make confident lines, understandable panels, and dynamic poses in 2-3 years, and start putting out some shit. I've already accepted the fact I'm never gonna be on KJG or Murata level, I don't care. I'm gonna make it cause nothing can possibly demotivate me, cause my dream is not really unattainable fuck you d/ic/ks.
>>
>>3087648
>>3090703
Real dreams are wishes that you never tell to anyone, even god because no one will grant that wish besides you yourself. If someone else does it will destroy your life.

X is work
Y is play
Z is keep your mouth shut
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.