[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone actually like Jung Gi? Sure his drawing skill is

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6

File: Kim-Jung-Gi.jpg (49KB, 636x424px) Image search: [Google]
Kim-Jung-Gi.jpg
49KB, 636x424px
Does anyone actually like Jung Gi?

Sure his drawing skill is undeniably high, but he's a shit artist. The composition is cluttered, the movement is ugly, the perspective is painful, and the theme is TRULY bottom of the barrel. Has he even done anything with dramatic shading? It's like he was gifted with artistic skills but cursed with zero artistic sensibility. No one's perfect, right.
>>
if you want to bait, do a shadman thread

i dunno if they get more replies but they certainly come in faster than average
>>
>>3087614
But shadman isn't regarded as an artist. He's just some g4p illustrator.
>>
I kind of agree? His technical skills are fantastic, but yeah his layouts are jumbled, and are either gimmicky three point shots or fish eye lens style. Terada is an artist of equal talent, but with a much greater sense of composition and restraint.
>>
>>3087743
Also he really likes to talk himself up as having a photographic memory, which is horseshit, as he's done art of pre-existing characters without reference and messed up tons of details, like a Star Wars piece I saw him do recently and messed up Vader's costume quite a bit. I generally am turned off by artists trying to hype themselves up, just let the work speak for itself and let your constituents and critics talk you up.
>>
>>3087611
He's a great artist and I'm super jealous of what he can do. At the same time, his art is the complete opposite of my own. He's a very narrative focused artist and my work is more emotion based.

I wish I could do what he does. I have so many god damn ideas but I just can't work like he does. He is incredibly efficient, focused, and get's shit done.
>>
>>3087751
He literally never said that.
>>
>>3087772
Literally from his official website:

He has the ability to visualize the drawing before making his marks. With mental pictures, he can draw without a photographic reference.
"I observe things all the time. I don’t take references while I’m drawing, but I’m always collecting visual resources. I observe them carefully on daily basis, almost habitually. I study images of all sorts and genres, "
>>
>>3087743
>Terada is an artist of equal talent
Terada draws 2 things
>>
>>3087611
Post your work faggot
>>
I guess he's all about making things that radiate vitality, not only on paper, but within the artist himself. He's all about showing off how clear his mind his, how furiously yet calmly it is able to work, and the dexterity of his hands as he just whips out characters without stopping.

He wants to become an example of life at its prime. I think he achieved that.
>>
>>3087611
He's a chink, thats why his art is like this.
>>
>>3087611
>his drawing skill is undeniably high, but he's a shit artist
/0
>>
>>3087770
Autism isn't an emotion
>>
>>3087775
Don't know where you're reading "photographic memory" into that. All it says is that (A) he visualizes drawings in advance and (B) he pays attention to details around him constantly instead of the traditional 'copy a photo' study.

Claiming to have a photographic memory would be saying that he retains all details he pays attention to and with very high accuracy. For all we know he might retain and use 10% of what he consciously paid attention to, the rest forgotten.
>>
>>3087775

None of that says or even implies photographic memory. Saying you observe shit carefully and remember it perfectly are two fucking different things. Going "I don't take photos, I just look closely" doesn't magically mean he thinks his memory is identical to a photo.

I don't take photos of things for ref either, nor do I think I have a photographic memory.
>>
>>3087817
So you're basically saying that he's just showing off?
>>
op is a proof of ic being a shithole, leave while you still can
>>
>>3087611
>The composition is cluttered, the movement is ugly, the perspective is painful,

I see /ic/ falling over and over for these readability and composition memes that don't mean jack shit outside of particular industrial and illustratory applications, and it makes me shake my head every time

Just because Feng Zhu or some other bullshitter sold you on these terms doesn't mean it invalidates artists that move outside of the norms

All of what you described comes off as entirely intentional on KJG's behalf and part of the idiosyncrasies that makes his art unique. His grasp of figure and the vitality of his expression more than makes up for these apparent """""defects"""""

There are a thousand cunts on Artstation who grasp those aspects precious to you, and it doesn't rescue their complete lack of vision, or excuse the heaps of sterile photobashed bullshit, soulless fanart and so-generic-its-painful sci fi/fantasy concept art

The modern digital art world is in a serious dire strait and it's not due to lacking composition or perspective skills.
>>
>>3087922
They are objectively defects, deal with it. His art is deeply flawed.
>>
>>3087922
>readability
What are you even on about?

>Feng Zhu
No.

>All of what you described comes off as entirely intentional
I didn't say the otherwise. I still consider him to be a good illustrator.

>There are a thousand cunts on Artstation who grasp those aspects precious to you, and it doesn't rescue their complete lack of vision, or excuse the heaps of sterile photobashed bullshit, soulless fanart and so-generic-its-painful sci fi/fantasy concept art
So, you're basically describing KJG right here. I also said that the below mediocre theme is one of the reason why KJG is a garbage artist. Art as an expression of beauty, which is supposed to be absolute, is replaced by self expression, that's the problem with modern art. No one believes in God or searches for God anymore.
>>
>>3088919
Yikes.
>>
>>3087611
quality bait my friend
>>
File: saint-george-1869.jpg (176KB, 693x1024px) Image search: [Google]
saint-george-1869.jpg
176KB, 693x1024px
>>3088919
>Art as an expression of beauty, which is supposed to be absolute, is replaced by self expression, that's the problem with modern art. No one believes in God or searches for God anymore.
This. On the left there's trash like abstract expressionism, conceptual "art", and so on, and on the right you find highly rendered concept art and other shite that rejects Beauty just as much as world rejects God. Both sides hate each other without realizing their only difference is their position in a horizontal world
>>
File: DTC0958.jpg (2MB, 2565x3848px) Image search: [Google]
DTC0958.jpg
2MB, 2565x3848px
>>3088919
I believe in God but searching it is not gonna make a better art, also KGJ is a master above the majority of artists alive.
>>
>>3088986
>as world rejects God.
>muh persecution complex
>>
>>3088930
Yikes indeed.

I was really close to falling for this fucking "red-pilled" bullshit meme until I realized that most of these fucking conservacucks still believed in christ-shit.
>>
>>3088986
Actually, it's not a matter of accepting or rejecting God. Beauty is about finding the absolute. It's okay for an art to reject God, but in order to reject God, you have to search for him first. The modern artist doesn't care about making an absolute value, and the postmodern advocates this ignorant way of thinking.
>>
>>3088992
How is it persecution complex? Even by Nietzsche's time 'God is dead' was an accurate assessment of the world
>>
>>3089002
Last I heard, most of the world still believes in God. Specifically the Abrahamic-faith.

I guess there are more non-believers then ever before but the "world" is far from rejecting god.
>>
>>3089004
nah they don't love god anymore, they're just stupid people unwilling to release a world view they reject deep down, that's why they're so mad all the time, they wish they could still have god in this post-god world
>>
>>3089007
I mean, I had an entire classroom and teacher berate me for being atheist. Right after I explained who Cain and Abel to a room full of catholics and christians that for some reason don't know who they are.

People defend their belief in god even though they don't even read the bible. My teacher got extremely offended when I simply said I don't believe in god after she questioned whether or not I was a christian for knowing who cain and abel were. I just said "no I actually don't believe in god."
>>
>>3089002
Nietzsche was as right as the believers, he didn't prove or disprove anything. He was just the opposite of Kant who believed that free will must be used to find God, Nietzsche believed that free will must be used to reject God. And this free will has always been the central idea. Like Nietzsche and Kant, an artist must use their free will to create the absolute image, undeniable and truthful. As said by Hesse, modern art is just a showcase of passion, a false goal as a result of friction between the artist's free will and the outside world, but true art must be driven by spiritual force toward the center of perfection.

>>3089007
An ignorant man like this will never find his artistic image.
>>
>>3088994
Maybe I understand it different but I thought Beauty is a manifestation of the absolute itself, which is why so many people are converted through it. What you said might make more sense though

>>3089004
> the "world" is far from rejecting god
Belief in the traditional sense was not simply a statement, but a whole mode of being. It's like you say, how even the so-called religious you spoke to lacked basic knowledge of their faith
>>
>>3089036
Oops meant to link >>3088996 instead
>>
>>3088989
How do you draw like that? Is it a liner or just ink?
>>
>>3087611
I think he's a really skilled artist but if not for /ic/ I wouldn't know that he exists. And even then I have no idea where his drawings are on display. Are his works made for galleries? Does he do commercial work? Does he teach drawing? I don't know. For all I know he could be drawing obsessively at home and only shares stuff by posting photos on the internet.
>>
>>3088919

I think you mean that things don't feel genuinely sincere or passionate. It's kind of true as everything is focus tested and mass-marketed, but I dig KJG's stuff from a technical perspective as he can break down everything and learn easily. That's what's inspiring.
>>
File: bloho.png (254KB, 623x388px) Image search: [Google]
bloho.png
254KB, 623x388px
He has the body of jason blaha.
>>
File: kim jung gi2.jpg (18KB, 221x269px) Image search: [Google]
kim jung gi2.jpg
18KB, 221x269px
I sort of agree OP.
When you compare him to someone like Otomo, he is pretty bland.
>>3087786
I think what he means or what I took from his comment,is that Terada works have a deeper feel to them,are more organic as with Kim ,his works are more mechanic and structured.
I mean the way Kim draws a human body is literally the same way he draws an engine

>>3087824
this. It has been proved they have a higher capacity of visual library storage or visual recognition or some shit,than other races.I forget what it was precisely. Let us not forget higher IQ's.
then again,like everything else,they don't innovate.Asians just copy the west ,and exceed at it.
>>
>>3087868
I laughed, but maybe that's mý autism.
>>
>>3089002
I remember when I was 16 and thought Nietzsche was cool, then I read about his life and found out he was kind of a drug-addicted, sore loser. Feels bad man. Just because someone's famous, doesn't mean that what they say is correct.
>>
>>3087922
THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS

>>3087929
Oh fuck off you retard. You have no understanding of what objectivity actually entails you retarded pseud nigger. Keep believing these ideals of "good composition" exist. That's the very reason your work will resemble everyone elses cookie cutter comps and you'll never produce anything of any worth.
>>
>>3090869
Asians didn't copy the diversity meme.
>>
>>3087914
That's all art is. It's a visual medium.
>>
>>3087922
Couldn't have put it better my dude. I think a big factor here is the general tunnel vision of /ic/, and in many other digital art communities. They seem to have a hard time grasping the world of art outside of the fantasy/sci-fi/concept art bubble.
>>
>>3087611
Oh, look, the weekly "Attack Jung Gi" thread.
>>
Outside of /ic/ i never heard of this guy
>>
>>3089023
why would she ask you if you believe in god after explain who cain and abel are?
>>
>>3093733
i did from sycra and a few other, but mainly sycra
>>
>>3093719
Better than the "you can't read Jung Gi level" threads.
>>
*thread hidden*
>>
>>3087751
>Also he really likes to talk himself up as having a photographic memory

I love it when jealous shits make up stuff.

I ACTUALLY went to a KJG talk and someone asked him if he has a photographic memory. He literally has drawn things to the point of being able to draw them from different angles from memory. that's real hard work, not you shitposting on an internet board
>>
File: 1456870555572.jpg (1003KB, 1827x2160px) Image search: [Google]
1456870555572.jpg
1003KB, 1827x2160px
>>3087929
How can any art be deeply flawed? If you said that about pic related Id say "I dislike Basquiat too, but that's probably worth more than your car, so no mate."
KGJ filled a niche spot and is established in cartoons before anything. His talent is undeniable and you just don't care for the humor and personality in his work or haven't seen enough.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.