[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you study an anatomy book? What do you do to remember

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: CiZ7nhe.png (127KB, 763x545px) Image search: [Google]
CiZ7nhe.png
127KB, 763x545px
How do you study an anatomy book? What do you do to remember all the shit?

I'm asking because I have issues remembering all the little details of muscle groups, and I'm unsure if it'd be advisable to grab a sketchbook and draw those muscle groups tons of times and recite their names like a mantra.

I've been using my anatomy references and charts whenever I'm tackling a drawing and begin lining out the muscles, but it feels more like a crutch than actual learning.
>>
>>3087152
Don't bother learning anything except surface anatomy unless you are a science student or want to draw nothing except skeletons, muscles. I did anat in undergrad biomed and am doing it again as a medfag now, but it hasn't improved my ability to draw poses at all.

Best way to learn anatomy is to cram cards with image occlusion and multiple fields on anki, but artists don't need this shit. Just get two good anatomy atlases - Netters for reference and Rohen's for cadaver dissection and look them up as you go.
>>
>>3087152
you don't need to know the names, don't worry so much about it, there are books called things like 'anatomy for the artist' which have the specific information you need as an artist. i went to medical school and there you literally fill notebook after notebook of sketches and latin learning anatomy, doing that for art would be silly.

i could probably find one of the notebooks and take a picture or two if you guys are curious.
>>
>>3087166
>>3087171

Damn, I was pretty curious to hear the opinion of med students and what sort of black magic do they use to remember everything. Thanks for your insight.

Yeah, I'm curious to see your notebooks and I'd be thankful if you could take a couple of photos.
>>
File: IMG_1919.jpg (221KB, 1622x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1919.jpg
221KB, 1622x2048px
>>3087152
You can't learn it quickly without drawing the muscles from various angles

3D models like Catfish Animation's Muscle | Skeleton app are great for this as you can isolate and rotate every muscle

You can learn every little detail about video games and fantasy lore but a dozen or so muscle groups are hard to remember? Everything follows the same scheme

There is not a single aspect of my figure drawing that hasn't been improved tenfold by studying anatomy properly

even the most prominent artists rudimentary tend to have a rudimentary understanding of anatomy and it is an excellent way to stand out
>>
>>3087359
You can with Anki. Set custom interval to 1 min and 10 min and you can cram 1800 cards in 1 day and a few hours if necessary.
>>
>>3087382
I will be surprised if any of that sticks long-term, artists train for lifelong knowledge, not some undergrad exam

Anatomy as part of medical studies has been in a considerable decline lately and med schools around the world don't even involve cadavers anymore

Medical studies concern function and geography, artists should concern themselves with form. anatomy atlases and flashcards are lousy and flat and it's no surprise that they don't help you with poses

t. CNS
>>
>>3087401
Cram + spaced repetition
>>
>>3087401
Also when drawing a figure, nothing is stopping you from naming the muscles, bones, joints, etc while drawing. I mean if you are at it each day there really isn't a need for things like spaced repetition software for anatomy for artists
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.