[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lighting

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: wCRODhje2ZU.jpg (85KB, 805x1668px) Image search: [Google]
wCRODhje2ZU.jpg
85KB, 805x1668px
I'm really frustrated by light. I mean, I have some understanding about how the light works, I'm trying to cast it right, but still, it looks fake/unnatural. So, I beg for your help, to point out what my flaws are, and how to deal with them.

I've watched Sycra's tutorials about the light, and also read about how light calculated by shaders (Phong shading) it helped, but still, I feel like I miss something important.
>>
>>3086445
Read How to Render by Scott Robertson. The only part it doesn't cover is color but it has everything about light and form.

To understand light you need to have good drawing fundamentals though, if you're planning to use a constructive method.
>>
>>3086445
it's really not that bad, just keep refining

you could try doing more still lifes

or doing a 3d render of one of your drawings to see how the lighting differs (added bonus is learning how to do 3d)

i have an excellent book on the subject called 'light for the artist' by ted seth jacobs, i don't know if it's available but it's worth getting if it's on amazon or something, there are probably other equally good books too
>>
>>3086452
any way I can get a free pdf of this
>>
>>3086458
not that i know of, i stole my copy from a library lol
>>
>>3086452
>>3086446
Thanks guys! Would try!
>>
First thing you need to understand is that color = light

Light interacting with forms always determine what's represented. So you need to be clear about the forms you're depicting. This means good fundamentals. Light bounces and touches form fairly predictably so if you understand space you can plot the directions of lightrays, reflections, shadows and the rest. Your piece is super flat and I suspect it's an understanding of space that you lack

Color and light by gurney has some good pointers about various lighting situations. How to render explains that the brain reads change in value = change in form. Grasping this fundamental rule also helps us with creating depth

Square color selector is bad for painting, triangle is based on value + chroma rather than value + saturation, and better represents how light intensity works.
>>
I should've post here earlier, you guys are treasure!

>>3086468
Would read.

> color = light
> change in value = change in form

I'm actually kinda familiar with this, and trying to use those things. I feel like I mostly strugglying with projecting light on flat piece.

> triangle is based on value + chroma rather than value + saturation, and better represents how light intensity works.

Read about this a lot of times, but can't find an answer about WHY exactly the colors in light and shadow would differ. I mean okay, if character would stay at grass, it would get a lot of green reflected light. But suppose it's perfectly white/black environment and white light source. Would color in light in shadow still chromatically differ? If yes, then WHY?

And, well, I wanted to ask, if maybe somebody could give a pic a couple of strokes to point out major mistakes and explain them?
>>
>try to do a paintover
>it turns out much worse
I... I think you're doing fine OP, just keep practicing.
>>
>>3086445
Make new layer. Draw small arrow (any shape you want) to represent light. Make sure it's on top of everything. Now move that arrow around your painting. This will help you visualize the lighting better.
>>
>>3086591
Usually I draw a little sphere with correct light and carry it along the painting, so I could compare light intensity by normals of the plane. There's pretty much the result of it
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.