[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I feel pressured to draw

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: 1501026560507.png (712KB, 707x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1501026560507.png
712KB, 707x1000px
So, about 2 years ago, I joined an online community filled with serious artists and it was great. I started drawing everyday and studying my fundamentals. I noticed lots of improvement at first and I figured st the rate I was going I would be pro level in 2 years. Anyway, fast forward 2 years later, I'm still mediocre and there is this growing pressure of "why am I not improving, why am I not drawing enough". Everyone else is making lots of progress while I remain stuck in mediocrity. Drawing doesn't feel fun anymore, it feels like a chore, "if I don't draw today, I won't improve and catch up" rather than "I want to draw today". As a result, I'm always procrastinating from making art. I dunno, I just felt the need to vent myself
>>
>>3086384
Well if you're not making any progress it's understandable how you'd get demoralized.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxGRhd_iWuE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bavZbQHbuOk

to improve you gotta get out of comfort zone. or try drawing stuff that you think is fun rather than trying to improve for once make it fun again. its suppose to be fun.

feel better anon
>>
Is pic related yours? I think it's good, why don't you start producing your own thing or working on a project that you always wanted to do? Also, take a break for a few days, it's okay.
>>
People sometimes forget that the fundamentals are there to help you and give you tools to make art you like for yourself.
Don't abandon them, keep grinding and practicing but be sure to make a good amount of room for making art for yourself that you like regardless of how well done it is. Morale is important, you will end up making more progress that way. Good luck anon!
>>
>>3086384
It isn't a passive 'hobby', it's very taxing and exhausting mentally, although sometimes it's wondrous when something finally clicks. For me, it's often excruciating getting through a serious project, but drawing something cool in my sketchbook with more freedom and less value about how 'precious' the work has to be is heaven.

Your painting looks good.
>>
>>3086397
>>3086401
It's not by OP, it's by David Muller/ Kopfstoff.
>>
>>3086384
Urasawa Naoki no Manben
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3m4fvy

Always makes me want to work harder.
NEVER GIVE UP
>>
>>3086384

Maybe you're not talented enough. It happens... Try making finished drawings.. At least two per week and see how It comes.
>>
File: logarithmicgrowth.png (44KB, 1333x1044px) Image search: [Google]
logarithmicgrowth.png
44KB, 1333x1044px
>>3086384
Most people when they try to git gud get hit by a wall of performance anxiety created by their ego.

It's because when you improve at first it goes a hell of a lot faster than it does later on and that's true for any activity I can think of atleast.

This is an extreme example of skill improvement across time but it gets the point across.
No one is the green line, so get over it or quit.

If you've gotten this far you have a reason to draw, it's all up to you if you're gonna scale this wall or if you're gonna wallow in self-pity wondering about what could have been.
>>
>>3086391
Exactly
>>3086394
Bullshit optimism
>>3086397
Not mine
>>3086398
Yeah, that may be a reason. I spend 90% of my time studying fundamentals with only about 10% creative work.
>>3086503
Lol, I realized I'm not talented. I'm also aware I'm not autistically slow either. I've seen artists that improve at 1/10th the rate I do, I've also seen artists that improve 10 times as fast as I do. So I think, I'm somewhere in the middle. I think I have the potential to get good, but I have to work my butt off. I'm probably as talented as Sycra. As for finished stuff, I've made a couple finished illustrations here and there but it's only like once a month. Maybe I'll improve faster if I finished my stuff more?
>>3086509
Is the green line supposed to represent your expectations?
>>
>>3086527
Yes, or more like the rate of improvement that would make you feel like you're constantly on cocaine
>>
>>3086527
>Is the green line supposed to represent your expectations?
>>3086532
>>
>>3086527
>Lol, I realized I'm not talented. I'm also aware I'm not autistically slow either. I've seen artists that improve at 1/10th the rate I do, I've also seen artists that improve 10 times as fast as I do. So I think, I'm somewhere in the middle. I think I have the potential to get good, but I have to work my butt off. I'm probably as talented as Sycra. As for finished stuff, I've made a couple finished illustrations here and there but it's only like once a month. Maybe I'll improve faster if I finished my stuff more?

Yeah, it varies, I just said that because you're getting depressed over progress, you have to accept if you're not fast enough that it'll take time and there is nothing you can do about that. And yes, I think finishing things will get you better. It worked tons for me and is a good advice overall.

Also, look at this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRtV-ugIT0k
>>
>>3086581
Well I'll be damned, this is the first video of this kind that actually get to me.
I'm not the OP but thanks for showing me this man, that means a lot, especially as of late.
>>
>>3087924
It's a great vĂ­deo, Jake is a cool guy to listen too. Also, he clearly is the kind of artist that is hard worker and not super talented, so it's even more motivating to Watch him. All ic should Watch de this video.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.