[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Character design improvement

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: Gynoidref.png (2MB, 2500x4600px) Image search: [Google]
Gynoidref.png
2MB, 2500x4600px
Hey there /ic/ I'm still working on my general artistic skills and what have you.

These are some of my primary OC's, I revisit their designs fairly often and I was wondering if anyone would like to give some input or suggestions.

I am inviting criticism on my designs, but please don't be overly hateful or spiteful. "it's just bad" isn't helpful.

Please ignore any troll posts.

thanks for your time!
>>
Whats the context for these characters (setting, story etc)?
>>
Here's a blurb I posted elsewhere.

My girls are members of a race born of the melding of mankind and machine, hundreds of years in the future the Technological Singularity was achieved thanks to a major breakthrough in Artificial Intelligence. Mankind was reborn.

Their race contains a fictional synthetic crystal in their joints, the crystal is very very efficient for the piezoelectric effect so whenever they are squeezed they produce electricity, their bones are made up of a psuedo-fixed nanite polymer that bends a lot more than average but is still capable of breaking, their muscles are a similar but far more rubbery material, and their skin is essentially a pseudo-metallic silicon-like nanite mesh. Overall resulting in a body far more durable than that of a human, but still relatively "alive" in touch and feel.

They are known as Starseekers, as they were born among the stars, they seek out life and attempt to study or meet life in a sort of Star Trek style.
>>
>>3085830
Yo why did you not even bother shading the rest of the gals

The characters look flat af. It's like you tried to draw them by drawing only one big line. Your anatomy could have some help, especially the pink one. I feel like you tried to go for the loli look but it's fucking off.
>>
>>3086128
>Yo why did you not even bother shading the rest of the gals
The overall picture is a work in progress, I've redrawing them all, I just had the idea to post this when I wasn't done yet, maybe glean some insight on changes I might make.

>Yo why did you not even bother shading the rest of the gals
That's fair, working on it.

>especially the pink one. I feel like you tried to go for the loli look but it's fucking off

Nah, she's just supposed to be incredibly short.

Thanks for your input!
>>
>>3085830
drawing the same looking character 5 times and changing the color you used for paintbucket fill isn't good design
>>
>homoseuxal

>bisexual

>bisexual

lol why don't you focus on learning the fundamentals and actually looking at a human for once instead of creating your shitty back stories.
>>
>>3085830
Yeah, you did redraw the same ish character many times. even the poses are all the same. When doing front, side and rear views of your characters, have them do different poses. Everything is all bland and no one is unique.
>>
>>3086300
They're literally just design drawings, the poses don't matter as this is just for me to get the design down before I move on and try to make proper ref sheets.
>>
>>3085830
Learn to draw before you do these bullshit weapons-grade autismo sheets
>>
>>3086290
this
>>
Too bad no one's giving any advice.

Do they all need to be strange colors? Do they all need armored forms? Maybe try some more asymmetric designs?
>>
There's nothing really interesting happening as far as their shapes and silhouettes go. Beyond that, the designs of the characters in-costume feel rather uninspired i.e generic mecha. Changing up the shapes would probably fix that. Go nuts, like >>3086327 said, go try some asymmetry, exaggerate a bit maybe. This suggestion applies to the characters both in and out of costume, faces, hair, and all.

Colors seem alright, I guess, except for pink girl and purple girl. In the case of Susanne, saturated pink and green feels really weird (at least to me, but I digress). For Kaitlynn, I'd suggest using more subdued colors, given what you wrote about her, with maybe a fun accent or something, I don't know.

Designs aside, go back to practicing. It's nice to revisit these things as an exercise to try out things you've learned every once in a while, but don't invest too much into it. Before you even start a ref sheet, work on your anatomy more.

As a side note, utilizing even simple shading (not even high lights) can say a lot about the character's readability. Right now they're all flat and I have no idea what is what on their costume.

tl;dr Play with your shapes and silhouettes more, work on your colors, and more importantly get back to studying fundamentals and stuff.
>>
>>3085830
You probably you arent going to improve if you jump into character design without understanding how to draw properly in the first place. Think about what your overall goal is, is it to improve your art or develop a universe for your OCs? If its the latter you may get stuck in a hole where you wont reach your potential because you only draw whats in your comfort zone. Try finding some references in /beg/ and do your best. Also LOOMIS.
>>
>>3086301
Okay, here is what I recommend. NEVER post WIP here, we dont know what you need to improve on. Complete a picture to the best of your ability and come here for some critiques. If you have specific questions, that is fine too but it is impossible to help someone when their response to it is "its not done LOL"
>>
File: Frogheadrapelol.jpg (510KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
Frogheadrapelol.jpg
510KB, 1200x900px
>>3085830

WTF is up with all you retards and posting "Herms/Bi-Sexual ( no such thing )/Homo/Pansexual ( no such thing )"

How about instead of writing shitty backgrounds for shitty characters you can't even draw well or with any "soul."

You instead go back to basics and learn to draw apples/trees/circles and go back to school and learn proper English writing skills.

Holy shit, how fucking pathetic.

OP
>This is my yellow simpson character "Flingpoodingching"
She was born a male and is not a female robot with laser eyeballs and has two large breast and two small breast.
In the year 23,000 Humanity became robots. and now everyone is homosexuals and bisexuals despite having vaginas and only dick-girls have penises.

There are no straight robots, everyone voted for trump and the world became a robot hellhole.

Mushii-Fooshi-Poo-shi!!!

The Story: "Pansexual Republican 23,000 Year of our Lord Acceptance Pride!"

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>3085830
I think you're over doing it on their hips.
>>
Most of these comments on this "piece" is complete cancer. like most of /IC/
>>
Heres my advice to you. keep drawing these characters. so that you can get used to drawing them. in various different styles. maybe utilize humans for reference. It's just something to keep in mind.
>>
experiment more with colors and anatomy before making ocs with background and all. these neon colors look awful and the marks are distracting.
i see you're trying to make them fuckable. body shapes aside, they're not very attractive.
character designs take a lot of time and go through many revisions, mostly thanks to different artists. try to look up to others. wait before finalizing anything.
>>
>>3086327
>>3086413
>>3086875
>>3086880
>>3086964
>>3086978
>>3086996
Thank you all for your advice! I'll step back and look at basics before I continue.

I'm just going to ignore the other guys no sense in feeding the trolls :D
>>
>>3087065
Ita hard to avoid trolls here but this board actually has alot going for it in terms useful and talented people who try and help, you just have to learn the ropes. /beg/ has plenty of useful people.
>>
>>3087069
I honestly don't know what /beg/ is ha ha, but thanks for the heads up.
>>
>>3086955

Only good comment.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.