[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Great Drawing Tourney

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: great drawing tourney.png (68KB, 600x434px) Image search: [Google]
great drawing tourney.png
68KB, 600x434px
Welcome to the Great Drawing Tourney !

just like everyone on this board, I always feel like I could be drawing more. When I was younger, I entered a few drawing and non drawing contests and I remember it being a great source of motivation. So this is what I propose to you today.

In the following posts, I will describe the specifics of the tournament.
>>
File: tourney structure.png (27KB, 1317x875px) Image search: [Google]
tourney structure.png
27KB, 1317x875px
>>3085415

The spirit of this tournament is that everyone from very different skill levels should be able to participate and enjoy themselves. As such, I came up with a design without elimination.

In the first round, every contestant is on the same line. Let's say there are 32 contestants for the tournament, everyone is assigned a number (contestant 1 to contestant 32). A theme will be given to all contestants and they'll have a week to produce a single entry for the tournament. At the end of the week, contestants will be paired randomly into duels, and voting will start. When the vote is over, the winner moves one step up and the loser moves one step down.

The reasoning why contestants are paired up only after delivering their entry is to minimize the underside of competition which is people giving up before they even start because of who they're facing. It is obvious given the nature of this competition that there will be very different skill levels involved and there will be unfair duels, but the end goal isn't to win the duel, it's to take the fight. Another aspect is to encourage people working together the week before the delivery, sharing references, asking for advices, since at that point you don't know who you're facing and only 1 person out of 30 other contestant will be your opponent.

If we count 32 contestants, after 6 rounds, we will reach the end of the tournament with a single contestant at the top and the other contestants distributed on the steps below.
>>
>>3085420
Entries
as much as possible the themes will be kept vague enough so that people don't have to stray away from their path. If you like to make finished paintings, go ahead, if you like to do sculptures, suit yourself. A skillful sketch will have more success than an weak overpolished painting. The winner of the duel will be decided on a purely subjective basis, be it an idea, a display of skill, the humourness, etc...
One obvious truth is that, at least in the first few rounds, it is someone with a lot more experience than you that will win the duel, so there is no point for you for trying to suddenly be a god artist. Just push yourself, learn things that will be useful to you in the future, try to show others the inner appeal of your work/ideas.
The themes should be respected but there won't be disqualifications. I state this so that people aren't afraid to play with the theme in fear of repercussion. However, as a voter, I will not vote for a contestant that is purposefully ignoring the theme, even if he is more skilled than his opponent. It will be up to every contestant's discretion how much they'll tolerate straying from the original theme.
>>
>>3085421
Voting system
I decided to have a compromise between safety (against cheating and people using their popularity) and openness. There will be two separate voting at the same time, one decided by the contestants, everyone will be invited to vote for every duel other than their own (with no obligation but with point penalties in case people don't vote at all), the other one will be a public vote and will count for 3 additional points. In case of draw, the internal vote will decide the winner.

Prizes
For now, there is nothing and I doubt there'll be anything for the first edition of this tournament, but I've thought about it and I think it would be nice to end up with prints for everyone, it would reinforce the spirit of working hard for your entries.
>>
>>3085422
Infrastructure
I am unfortunately unable to come up with a website that could take care of all of this so instead we'll have to work with the available tools. I think it is not necessarily a bad thing as it will also help contestants gain some visibility on these platforms. Hopefully, they can socialize among themselves as well.
I can't use /ic/ because of vulnerability (derailling, spamming, ...) and clarity reasons, however I hope people use it each week while they're working on their entry.
You will be required to have a deviantart account and a google account
Entries will be uploaded to your deviantart and sent to a tournament group. Required informations will be displayed on the deviantart group (contestant pairs, week's theme, past rounds, etc).
On google I will share a single sheet per contestants on an excell file, each contestant will use the sheet for voting. This way the voting will remain anonymous. I don't want to waste my time cleaning up poorly filled sheets so if I see ill-will I won't hesitate to discard a sheet (therefore with automatic point penalties for lack of voting)

So, what do you think ? Would you be interested to participate ? I am open to any suggestion and will answer questions.

If you'd like to participate, I am thinking of starting the first round this monday and go on a monday/tuesday to sunday basis with 1 to 2 days of rest/vote
>>
>>3085422
So a pseudo LAS challenge set up without a website? I don't get it.

I applaud you for at least designing the structure of another potential general at the very least.
>>
>after all the bad artists are eliminated the prompt becomes your fire emblem waifu

Nice try fagget I see through you
>>
I'd be interested in participating, but I don't think this is gonna take off. This is /ic/, after all.
>>
>>3085423
Why would you need both a Google and a DA account?
>>
>>3085427
you're not even seeing what's right in front of you my dude, I said nobody gets eliminated and that's what's depicted in the diagram as well. You either move up or move down and keep competing with people of a closer skill level (hopefully).

The question of the theme is a valid one however, it has not been decided yet though I have some ideas.
>>
>>3085435
DA for the general handling of the tournament, Google is only used for the internal vote. There is a voting system on DA that I plan to use for the public vote, I don't know the limitations since I have never used it yet but I don't think I can restrict it in the way I can do it with the google vote. The sheet trick is mostly to save time on my part, it could be done by email of course, but I'd like to have a self-sustainable system as much as possible.
>>
I would participate if you set everything up but I wouldn't submit somthing every week
>>
Bump
man /ic/ used to be a slow moving board, not even two days later and it's already about to get deleted. I'm just going to bump once or twice over the week end to give it a chance
>>
WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU SO MUCH TEXT.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.