[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Trying to draw like someone else

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

Not to sound egocentric, but how long can it take a newbie to copy someone else's style completely ?

Let's say I'm trying to draw like this pic related artist.

Should I keep looking at/analyzing his work then try to copy it with pen and paper ?

Should I trace his artwork (maybe "red line" each body part first) before trying to copy his art ?
>>
Define 'newbie'

If you mean newbie in the sense you don't know the fundamentals, there's no way you can copy that. Learn the fundies first.

If you know the fundies, then analyzing someone's style and applying it to your work is more about observation than time. "Those kind of lines, that style of shading, that sort of color palette, those body and face proportions, okay got it"
>>
>>3083832
Interesting answer, anon.
>>
>>3083817
4 years. that's literally how long it took me to be a style clone of my senpai (i'm slowly surpassing him though, so i'm going my own route now). however I had to work with very few images, some of them ant size. What I did was do master studies of all of his works.

It would be much easier to copy zeronis though, given the fact that he actually has video process, brush packs, psd's etc. you'll just have to be his patron. i used to be on his patreon a year ago and he has a sort of unique way of painting.

of course, you'll still be pure shit if you don't go through the same anatomy and other fundamental practice that he must have gone through for years.
>>
>>3084500
>What I did was do master studies of all of his works.

Cool, I'll look up how to do a master study, thanks though.

>I used to be on his patreon a year ago and he has a sort of unique way of painting.

Not to sound like a beggar, but could you please be so kind as to share the patreon work you received from him ?

This will be wholeheartedly appreciated.
>>
>>3084598
i don't have it anymore. his methods were too different to what i was used to so i deleted them because they were of no use to me. but you can probably find them on cgpersia or something.
>>
>>3083817
Zeronis is mediocre all around the board, his drawings looks good because they are well rendered, but his lineart is boring as fuck and he cheats a lot
Anyways you are a shitter so I don't even understand why would I care to explain this to you
>>
File: 20170704_104703.jpg (602KB, 2048x1232px) Image search: [Google]
20170704_104703.jpg
602KB, 2048x1232px
>>3084626
>his lineart is boring as fuck and he cheats a lot

How is his lineart boring ?

Is it too easy/simple for you ?

How is he 'cheating' ?

Do you honestly think he uses (for example rendering and shading techniques) to make all of his artwork look good ?

He's not the best artist in the US, but he's far from bad.

>Anyways you are a shitter so I don't even understand why would I care to explain this to you.

I'm a newbie not a shitter, the fact that I and most other beginners actually try to draw like our favorite artists means we actually like drawing and aren't hopeless at it.

I'm not suprised to meet another douchebag like you here on /ic/, guys like you simply act like assholes just to make other people feel like shit.

Guys like you are the cancer that are ruining this board.
>>
File: 1494674961478.jpg (131KB, 540x642px) Image search: [Google]
1494674961478.jpg
131KB, 540x642px
>>3084686
>I'm a newbie not a shitter
>I'm not suprised to meet another douchebag like you here on /ic/, guys like you simply act like assholes just to make other people feel like shit.
>Guys like you are the cancer that are ruining this board.

lol
>>
>>3084686
>reddit spacing
>newfag
>calls others cancer
>>
>>3084686
Don't even bother replying to these guys bro. Some of the people on this board are very bitter and angry.
>>
>>3083817
i think just doing copies is enough, i don't think you need to do tracing or anything. even a poor copy can often teach you a lot just by virtue of you examining the image in such detail.

contacting the artist and asking them how they go about it is also beneficial.

don't let people be mean to you about wanting to draw like someone (even if it is zelda fan art or whatever video game she's from) many great artists started out by being dedicated plagiarists.
>>
without fundamentals first your copies will be shallow and it will be easy to see that you do not understand the construction of the artist
>>
>>3086464
>without fundamentals first your copies will be shallow and it will be easy to see that you do not understand the construction of the artist

Not Op, but you should start red lining or maybe break down body parts after knowing the fundamentals, right ?

I think red lining or breaking down the person's (you're trying to copy) head, torso, arms and legs will help a beginner draw and copy someone else's style (like pic related).
>>
>>3083817
You should probably try to find someone better to copy. That shit is rife with mistakes. Each mistake isn't terrible, but they pile up to the point where it just looks bland and poorly drawn.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.