[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Protege

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 6

File: 1485829290909.gif (1MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1485829290909.gif
1MB, 500x281px
I think I found the artist who I want to be my mentor, and create new worlds with. I never felt this way before. Something about how he draws and the depth of his stories stir a very visceral reaction inside me, I feel like crying. His style, his stories, it's as if I would've written them myself. Yet we're also very different. His stories are gentle and organic, and mine hard edged and ultraviolent, and these contrasts would make a very powerful blend. Yet it's also the same animal underneath, somehow, which is why it would work. We share the same dreams and values, and I think I would make a great protege for him and supplement his legacy and continue the tradition.

He lives in a different country however, though he has deep respect for my kind. How are you supposed to even get in touch with him and actually succeed in establishing some connection? Should I hire him? I have money, but I want to get to a point where he will see me as someone he can groom to be his equal. I used to want to be Syd Mead's protege, but this guy though... I think I can forge something powerful with this guy. I actually want to give it a shot. I have a couple webcomics under my belt, a colorful history, a military resume, and and and

Has anyone done something like this before?
>>
Can you be my mentor anon? You sound like a nice fella.
>>
>>3082963
50$/hour
>>
>>3082977
that's chea......then again your art isn't that good
>>
>>3082980
ill settle for 2 cows per year.
>>
File: 0a9.png (84KB, 856x441px) Image search: [Google]
0a9.png
84KB, 856x441px
not your personal blog faggit
>>
>>3082981

2 chickens and a bag of potatos per month
>>
Cool story. Sounds kinda romantic. Why are you so insistent on not saying this artist's name, though?
>>
>>3082983
The banker in me is telling me no, but the irish in me is telling me yes.
>>
>>3082963

I love teaching and take a lot of pride in being part of someone else's success and growth. I don't know if I am there yet as an artist though.

>>3082987

Just in case it actually becomes a thing and people begin recognizing me. But by then I probably will have bigger things to worry about than being recognized.

I found them while navigating this thread: >>94318366
>>
>>3082993
oh >>>/co/94318366
>>
>>3082993
>The (((banker))) in me

What does he mean by this?
>>
>mentor

what the fuck is this meme
>>
gay
>>
>>3082954
they want take you because you are cringey baka whitu piggu.
>>
>>3084312

I am not white lol
>>
>>3084365
Even worse
>>
>>3082954
Stop evading your ban
>>
>>3082954
just be yourself anon, and if he doesn't like you then that's his problem, there are plenty more fish in the sea
>>
>>3085027

this anon

also

post artist
>>
File: tumblr_n4nmztgbi81qeg9tqo1_1280.png (269KB, 644x298px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n4nmztgbi81qeg9tqo1_1280.png
269KB, 644x298px
>>3082954
send him an email first, tell him some specific things you liked about his work. ask if he does schoolism or other paid online tutoring or anything like that. and that if he doesnt you'd be willing to pay him for a portfolio review(a lot of artists want money for this since it eats up time). please remember, some artists dont have the time, temperament or desire to mentor people especially ones considerably below their skill level, and don't get your hopes up

>>3083103
w-well
>>
File: 1482368180394.jpg (62KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
1482368180394.jpg
62KB, 540x540px
>>3085451

hey it's OP. I don't know if I want to go the "plz tutor me the arts!" part myself, not to mention that our styles are very different. I think I learn the technical drawing skill side pretty well on my own or with my own peers, and there's plenty of tutorials and other schools where I can learn how to draw.

I want to get to him at an angle that's not skill related, but try to pick his brain to see what makes him care and what drives him, and then tug at his heart (which is why I think telling him specific things I like about his work is a great idea, as you suggested). Try to draw him in at a visceral level, and then introduce the idea of collaborating the different things we have to offer. I've done this before, but not with an artist.

The biggest obstacle for me is the language barrier and that we don't have any mutual friends between us. Yeah I can throw money at him but if you want someone to be REALLY invested, you got to be able to offer more than that.

I don't have a portfolio in the traditional sense, except the things I've worked on so far, my website, my curriculum vitae, which I guess is my "portfolio".
>>
>>3082999
>>3082999
>I found them while navigating this thread: >>94318366(Dead)
which board is this aimed towards?

you gotta do >>>/a/160666404 for the hyperlink to wrok
>>
>>3085578
nevermind I'm blind
>>
>>3085451
>that image
Typical girly Tumblr comic.
>boohoo everyone should like me
>I tried my best and everything
Seriously fucked up thought process.
>>
>>3085578
>>>>/co/94318366
>>
>>3082954
Your choices in storytelling could either complement or create artistic differences between you two, just make sure to understand his side when giving an opinion about something of his you disagree with.
>>
>>3085411
>post artist

nay.

>>3085694

Yes.
>>
this thread is dumb and gay
>>3085751
stop beating around the bush faggot no1curr
>>
>>3082954
the most tumblr /ic/ post ever folks
>>
>>3082954
It's become so easy to tell mental illness/delusion just from how people write. This man doesn't even know you fucking exist, I'm doubtful he'll want to take some random autist from the other side of the globe on as a student. You're going to send an email or something sperging out, linking him to your shitty webcomics and begging for him to make you his pupil, and then either he or his agent are going to politely tell you that he's too busy with an actual career to take on students at the moment.

If you want to learn under someone find artists in your area that give private lessons, you're talking about something utterly unrealistic
>>
>>3082954
Call your local loony bin instead.
>>
File: 1500145516496.jpg (96KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
1500145516496.jpg
96KB, 650x650px
>>3085535
ok, that's not what you said in the OP but it's probably more sensible and less intense to not offer money

a website is basically an online portfolio, that's fine

just do your art shit and git gud and send him a nice email saying you like his shit, follow him on twitter or something. and look up any and all interviews the guy has done, they usually talk about influences there. you might not actually have to ask him these things.

you can't make someone be friends with you, sad to say, especially if they're not looking out for it

>>3085607
i like you, anon. you can relax now
>>
>>3086311
>find artists in your area that give private lessons

Teachers are easy to find and I have a good ones I've stuck with over the years. I am not asking this guy to teach me how to draw.

>>3086897

How is it not what I said?

>you can't make someone be friends with you, sad to say, especially if they're not looking out for it

Clearly. You can't make someone do anything, it's not like they owe it to you. But there's ways to go about it.
>>
File: linkrun.gif (918KB, 250x141px) Image search: [Google]
linkrun.gif
918KB, 250x141px
SDKFGSKDFSDKFF HE RESPONDED
>>
>>3087462
please get out of here this is cringy beyond all levels
some cringy stuff in this site is funny but this is juts the kind that makes everyone`s day worst
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.