[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are college art classes worth it if I want to improve my art skills?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_20170731_195855.jpg (500KB, 1600x912px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170731_195855.jpg
500KB, 1600x912px
Are college art classes worth it if I want to improve my art skills?
>>
>>3081825
Yes. Art school isn't as expensive as people say. Art Center is just $40k/yr which is very cheap. If you can't afford that you must be living in a third world country or something. LOL.
>>
>>3081850
How about classes at my community college, they worth it?
>>
>>3081864
what community college are you thinking of?
>>
or you could learn on your own for free and save yourself 40k

it's the difference between telling yourself to do something
and paying some person to tell you to do it
>>
life drawing is completely worth it but it's rare nowaday's. That's the most valuable thing you can get there
>>
>>3081873
I think environment also plays a big role. Art school is where you'll be in an environment with other students looking to improve and teachers will provide you with homework to challenge you. I assume you also get perks of regular colleges as well such as career fairs.
>>
>>3081873

Pls memer, almost every great artist studied at a school or attended ateliers/workshops regularly of some kind.

arts more then looking at a loomis book and figuring out how to draw.
>>
>>3081873
it's worth NOT BEING A FUCKING SOCIAL RECLUSE AND ACTUALLY GOING OUTSIDE AND INTERACTING WITH OTHER ARTISTS POSSIBLY FORMING FRIENDSHIPS AND ROMANTIC RELATIONSHIPS INSTEAD OF HUMPING YOUR PILLOW EVERY FUCKING MORNING
>>
>>3081825
i got to arts academy for free, was number one in list.

starting september.

my collegues dont know how to draw saw ive noticed.

paying for art studies is retarded.

you can learn everything by yourself, on your own.
>>
>>3081864
My community college had some kind of art credentials and was good for transferring to all the popular state art universitys.
See if yours has something like that?
community college is good if you are close to being good enough to get a scholarship.
Also you can usually look up teachers names and just google the name to find their work if they don't have a personal site listed.
>>
>>3081825
hell yeah, ive done an art course and a diploma but now that ive finished i do fuck all
its so good to be in that environment, you actually get things done for one thing
im actually looking at doing some more art courses, once per week sort of deal
>>
>>3081886
> you also get perks of regular colleges as well

such as 3 hour daily figure drawing 6 times a week at mine.

Also good to be in an environment of people who can help you and direct you in the right direction rather than shouting LOOMIS, GIT GUD.

God I spent years self teaching only to find out I was doing things completely wrong.
>>
No. A stem degree is worth it though.
>>
College is more than classes and knawledge.

It's also being surrounded by likeminded people, friendships, etc. You will not have the same experience studying all by yourself in the glow of your computerscreen.
>>
If I was in your shoes I'd do a year or more of the Watts Atelier online drawing course, with maybe a month or two of mentoring to get some feedback.
That'd be like 2000$ (heck you can even suspend your membership every other month if you don't need video access which would cut the price down significantly)
You can also get feedback on their forums.

Get Proko's anatomy course for 225$

Check out your local art community for live model drawing sessions, they tend to be relatively cheap, you also might find some other artists with more experience than you that are willing to give you some tips and critiques.

Get some Loomis, Bridgeman and Hampton books.

If you're still living with your parents you could do this pretty easily for under 3000$ a year.
>>
>>3082276
What were you doing and what did you learn that you were doing wrong?
>>
>>3081850
>just $40k/yr which is very cheap.
Are you actually shitposting? In what world is 160k for a borderline useless degree even worth it?
>If you can't afford that you must be living in a third world country or something. LOL.
nah your just shitposting. No one but a basement dweller with no grasp on how the world works would believe what you just said.
>>
>>3082545
>Get Proko's anatomy course for 225$
bait
>>
>>3085062
Where in the world do you pay that much for a degree? I live in Aus and student loans are very easy to handle.
>>
Unrelated, I guess, but I was thinking of taking some classes so I could feel a bit more pressure to draw more. Problem is, I work, and so I can't really go to a proper school.

Are there any good, beginner friendly online courses I could take?
>>
>>3085075
Somolia
>>
>>3085077
>Draw a box
>>
>>3081901
I love my pillow though, I call her Natasha
>>
>>3081850
It's 60k not 40
>>
I had been studying an art degree and it was really useless. Im learning more now by myself. Is not worth it unless you can pay youself going to a school in which after graduation can ensure you that you will be able to do it .
>>
>>3081825
Nope. Even the teachers aren't good so you'll never get good. There was only one person in my college drawing classes that drew like a Renaissance master and she clearly learned it from somewhere outside the class.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.