[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How many paintings do you need for an exhibition? Lets say a

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

How many paintings do you need for an exhibition? Lets say a small to medium size gallery.

What should be my target figure?
>>
>>3081421
at least 20 or i regret wasting my time
>>
>>3081421
I'd say 5-15. Why don't you talk to your gallerist? What's your situation? They should be a cohesive body of works, and you should leave the unfinished/imperfect/oddball ones at home.
>>
for a small gallery if you were working 18"24-22"x28" maybe... uhhhhh... 20-25 paintings?

I mean walk into a gallery and figure it out in your head...
>>
>>3081443
5 paintings? is the gallery a toolshed?
>>
>>3081441
Eh, I'm gonna disagree with you there. I don't like going to shows with that many pieces. Too much to see, leaving little time to talk to people at the opening. That's like museum numbers there.
>>
>>3081450
one on each wall and a giant one for the ceiling like the sistine chapel
>>
>>3081450
He said small to medium-sized. So yeah, we could be talking a 10x15' space here.
>>
>>3081454
well wtf are we even talking about because if you're in a medium sized gallery and there's 10 small paintings in the whole place... I'm trying to be helpful but this thread is so unnecessary and impossible to answer correctly.
>>
>>3081455
You don't always get all 4 walls. Sometimes you only get one or two. The guy needs to have a meeting with the owner.
>>
>>3081457
Depends on if he's in a city or a town or a village. In the town I'm in the galleries i've exhibited in, even the "small" ones, have shows of <100 pieces of various sizes
>>
>>3081464
that might be an exaggeration... but the show i'm about to put work in currently has 61 pieces, and i'd say it's a medium sized gallery. and 10 of those pieces are over 24"x30".

Point is the answer is "more work than you'd think". One man exhibitions are a ton of work, and take years to prepare for.
>>
>>3081464
Group shows, yeah. Clearly this is all theoretical since OP hasn't said what he's working with.
>>
File: ARisingPath.jpg (152KB, 1130x685px) Image search: [Google]
ARisingPath.jpg
152KB, 1130x685px
>>3081443
>Why don't you talk to your gallerist? What's your situation?

No gallery at the moment, but don't want to approach one without enough finished work. Got a lot of mediocre paintings lying around and I'm trying to get organized and focused.
>>
>>3081468
Ok. So make a lot of shit. Have 20-30 good pieces. Approach however they like to do it (online, or through their receptionist or whatever their process is). Do research, never just walk in cold. Shows are planned like 6 months to a couple years in advance, after they like you. They, or you pitch the show and plan it and you know pretty much what you're dealing with.
>>
File: corot38.jpg (111KB, 800x584px) Image search: [Google]
corot38.jpg
111KB, 800x584px
>>3081474
My subjects tends to vary... portraits, landscapes, still life, nude, stuff from the internet, romantic-fantasy, historical and political figures, etc...

Will that go down well?
>>
>>3081454
>leaving little time to talk to people at the opening

You mean drink the free booze?
>>
>>3081478
Yeah, for portfolio submissions, given that each section is large enough to stand on its own.

>>3081483
Yeah, well, the booze loosens their wallets and you gotta socialize a little with the people who might buy your shit.
>>
>>3081421
12 pieces. 4 on 3 walls. sell each piece for 1500
>>
>>3081494
18,000!

Ker-ching!!!!
>>
>>3081478
can you show us your work
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.