[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Video games and Art

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 5

File: 1457052968609.jpg (202KB, 794x732px) Image search: [Google]
1457052968609.jpg
202KB, 794x732px
How do I reconcile the two?

Lately I've noticed that I've become far more invested in video games than in any other hobby. And not just playing them. I listen to video game podcasts, most of my youtube subcriptions are video game related and of course I purchase and play a lot of games.

I've noticed at least and entire year go by without me making any meaninful improvements to my art. It's most certainly due to my increased interest in gaming. I feel bad that I've wasted probably multiple years of progress putting time into listening to people talk about, reading stupid news about, and playing a lot of games.

Any avid gamers here? How do I effectively drop gaming as my primary hobby and focus on art (without dropping gaming entirely).

Hell I just bought a PS4 and had planned to buy a Switch in a few months without realizing that I could have saved for a new drawing tablet/better computer for art.
>>
>>3080243
Side note.

Are there any good digital artists with youtube channels/twitch streams worth watching? Twitters to follow?

Or some art related podcast?

I feel like I've lost so much time to games because there's so much content and people willing to talk about them/gaming news. If I get more random art content in my newsfeed I'll hopefully be more motivated to keep practicing.
>>
File: 1415142626248.jpg (30KB, 300x450px) Image search: [Google]
1415142626248.jpg
30KB, 300x450px
>>3080243
I pretty much gave up gaming, my social life, and dedicate every day to drawing or drawing related stuff. desu I can't even stick to gaming now, every time I try to play something I feel disgusted and think "I could be using these precious hours to make art gains instead"
>>
File: 1461292248081.jpg (13KB, 500x259px) Image search: [Google]
1461292248081.jpg
13KB, 500x259px
>>3080254
Fuck, that's exactly what I didn't want to hear. The missing years is starting to hit my chest.

Now that I think about it, I do have a few tumblr's followed of people who play Overwatch a lot or FFXIV and still manage the time to make art gainz.

I bet those are the ONLY games those people play though.
>>
Gaming is the first hobby to go when you get serious about art. I'm lucky to get in an hour of it every second day.
>>
>>3080243
>>3080304
Yeah I basically gave up gaming to work on my art. You can still listen to streams and podcasts while you work on your art though.
>>
>>3080319
Man that's like asking me to choose between 2 children.

But I get it. Both of them require huge time investments, and only one of them affords you personal skill to take into the future.

I just fall for the hype machine too easily. I bought Persona, Nier, Zelda (on wii U), and overwatch all this year. I've probably put a combined total of 300 hours into them all by this point. Which is 300 not spent drawing and even 300 hours getting rusty.
>>
>>3080254
i did the same and think the same way. why waste time on that other stuff when i could be drawing.
>>
>>3080304
this

gamings something that has to be done in like 4 hour increments so it really does get bumped out by art

And this is assuming you're not playing league/overwatch any of that competitive shit... dont even think you can draw while being immersed in that meme.
>>
>>3080243
Moderation the thread

Just ween off the vidyas for a couple months when u get back to it you will notice yourself not spending as much time on them
>>
File: 1466986593813.jpg (240KB, 1050x703px) Image search: [Google]
1466986593813.jpg
240KB, 1050x703px
>Gonna have to drop altogether or limit myself to one game if I want to put enough time into artistic development so that I can "make it"

If I had to limit myself to one main game to play when not drawing, what are some good suggestions? I have Overwatch but it doesn't really inspire me to make art, like it does so many others.
>>
>>3080493

I stopped playing vidyas once. When I started againg I chose to play Battlefield 4 only and I'm happy with it, but whatever floats your boat. Just pick something with long playability to not get bored quickly of it.
>>
>>3080493
TF2 is the only game I play now. It's easy to dip in and out of.
>>
>>3080254
Games bore me to death and the only reason I'm attracted to a videogame in the first place is the art direction. So I mostly look at let's plays since I don't have to go through the tedious gameplay.

That said I was addicted to DOTA for a couple years and I'll never get those years back, stay the fuck away from anything multiplayer especially co-op shit like LoL, DOTA or Overwatch.
>>
>>3080493
Street Fighter. The character designs are just so good.
>>
>>3080243
I find stuff like this is habitual. You can get into the habit of consuming and engaging in video games or the habit of creating art. I recommend making a concerted effort to change your behavior for a set period of time, say a few months. Once you get into a new routine it'll be easier to stay the course. People tend to continue doing what they're already doing.
>>
File: sunflower.jpg (2MB, 1103x2000px) Image search: [Google]
sunflower.jpg
2MB, 1103x2000px
>>3080243
Zedig plays Overwatch and TF2 constantly and watches anime and other shit too. You don't have to go fully one or the other, and it can be damaging if you do so, both to your mood and your wrists.

FInd a balance that works for you. I usually do work, then play an hour or so of vidya to relax and get my mind out of the high pressured way it is while I work, and then my head's more clear for painting the rest of the night.
>>
>>3082031
This seems reasonable.

Honestly if I cut out significant amounts of time I spend browsing the internet and instead use that for gaming instead, I could still be spending much more time on art.

I find it hard to believe that anyone here doesn't have any down time to speak of. It all just depends on what you use it for. Sacrifices will need to be made to two time consuming hobbies.
>>
>>3080243
I feel like I should be using my time for art to game more. But then again, I'm a hobbyist
>>
I took a complete ten year break from art to watch anime. Don't do it man.
>>
>>3081196
To be entirely honest, reading the Street Fighter comics is leagues better than playing the games. So much inspiration and differentiation. Every time I pick up a Street Fighter comic I manage to find one picture in every issue that makes me go "damn, I wanna draw something like that" and then it kick starts my Street Fighter drawing binge for the next few days. Good anatomy practice and they show you a lot of characters from a lot of angles you wouldn't see in the games.

Probably just me but that's my fix. For gaming, I play Splatoon 2 right now but before this it was Breath of the Wild. Games that have "zones" are really good though, or timed segments (like Splatoon 2, since I only play casual and Turf War lasts exactly 3 minutes). Play 5 games to get it out of your system and you've only wasted 20~25 minutes, give or take weapon swaps, loading screens, and queue times. Also the art style is really fun. Then it's back to the grind and you don't feel like you've wasted a shit ton of time like those 55+ minute games of LoL or DOTA only to lose.
>>
>>3080254
This, there is no other way if you wanna make it.
>>
If you don't get the feeling after gaming that the time you've spent has just disappeared and been pissed away into the void. you might be a redneck.
>>
>>3082235
i meant, not gonna make it.
>>
>>3080254
Yup this. Me too. All I do when I'm home is work on my comic. I haven't played and beat a vidya in over five years other than when me and my girlfriend played through Wind Waker again last year.
Thing is, I do want to play something. I recently got into Monster Hunter 4 but everything takes so long to do and it doesn't feel worthwhile.
I could spend an hour trying in vain the kill Kecha Wacha again or I could do the shading layer for my next comic page. The dilemma is easy to decide on now.

Actually let me ask this, how does someone draw and have a full time job and find time to play vidya? Unless they just don't sleep.
>>
>>3082198
>you don't feel like you've wasted a shit ton of time like those 55+ minute games of LoL or DOTA only to lose.
I have no idea how I subjected myself to the torture that is DOTA. I quit in 2013 and haven't looked back since, holy shit if I only think of solo matchmaking my brain starts fuming.
>>
>>3080260
Most good artists play very little/no video games but draw the characters because they are popular.
>>
>>3080243
I feel your pain, OP.
Jesus Christ I feel your pain.
At least there are concrete answers here, so you can either ignorantly ignore them or draw all day eery day.
I-I'll start tomorrow
>>
>>3081137
Pretty much any game like this with no real commitments, in tf2 you can join mid game and leave two seconds after with no penalty. In a game like dota you get reported 4 times and get timebans out the ass. Overwatch competitive is the same so stick to quick play though I think you get penalties for leaves like 20 games or something but that's just to stop people looking for a map or character they really want to play.
>>
>>3080254
I wouldn't recommend giving up on social life, terrible advice. You should manage to get better at art while maintaining a healthy life style.
This way of thinking is delusional and will hurt you in the long run. That said, there are a few people who are able to draw 12+ hours every day without getting burned out or feeling lonely, but it's a very slim percentage.

>>3080260
You don't have to give up either, but consider this: Do you want to get good at games or art?
There is nothing wrong with keeping art as a side hobby and there is also nothing wrong with dedicating to art, while taking breaks in which you play video games.
It only gets in your way if you let those breaks sip into your work time, and thus, make you procrastinate and feel guily about your art.

Don't make your life unnessesarily complicated by thinking of the time you wasted, but instead make a conscious decision to spend those hours drawing. Or playing games.

For myself, I enjoy playing 1-2 hours of video games on the weekend. But I don't play on workdays (art unrelated field), because it won't let me put enough energy into my art. If I came home starting a game it would be incredibly hard to stop after 30 minutes and then concentrate on art.
If anything, reward yourself with a game after drawing.

If art is what you want to choose, ideally you will come to a point where the idea of creating will be more exciting to you than the idea of gaming.

Avoiding games you know will take an awful lot of time investment to finish or get good at, is also a good tip.
>>
Only losers play videgames for more than 1-2 hours a day.
>>
If gaming is a hobby you're passionate about and enjoy, don't just up and quit it. Just find a way to work art into that routine you've got going, and gradually ramp it up.

If you listen to vidya podcasts, draw while you listen. Have your vidya youtube videos on in the background while you draw. If you want to play a game, treat it as a reward for drawing x amount of time (be it 30 minutes or several hours). Draw fanart of your favorite games. Look at the art books / design works for your favorite games and study them. When you play a game with a good aesthetic, try to understand and replicate it in your art.

If you just outright drop a hobby you enjoy for art, all it'll do is make you resent art. One of the best things about art is how easily you can bring other things your passionate about into it.

The past is the past, beating yourself up over it won't change that. Sometimes I think about how if I put all the hours I spent on Europa Universalis and Crusader Kings into art I've have gotten literally twice the mileage, but it's not productive. Just let it be a lesson whenever you're burning your weekend, and try to find ways to work art into it.

If you're like me (and a lot of /ic/ clearly) over time you'll create more and consume less as a natural product of enjoying your new craft.
>>
>>3080243
At some point you'll have a real understanding, do you want to create or consume? As you get older and games lose their sense of discovery and novelty, it just feels a pointless exercise. Start removing it from your life and you'll see that nothing is missing.

>>3080493
games that let you build stuff have a long shelf life for me. I like SC4, it's like a cross between a digital train set and growing a chia pet. Short games like Phoenix Wright are also really nice.
>>
>>3080243
you feel this way because video games are designed to give you immediate reward-based satisfaction and clear progression based on effort and art does not reward immediately.

just being aware of this may help you fight it

>>3080493
i like fallout 4. nice art and sound design and you can leave anytime
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.