[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Drawing/Coming up with Poses from Imagination

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

File: 68.jpg (1MB, 2188x1608px) Image search: [Google]
68.jpg
1MB, 2188x1608px
For me the hardest part about drawing is creating a pose from my imagination. I've studied quite a bit and know a fair amount of anatomy, proportions, gesture and structure, but when I don't have a photo or anything to reference I find it very hard just coming up with a dynamic or interesting pose whether its actiony or lewd. Now I know there's nothing wrong with using reference, but like, I don't wanna end up COMPLETELY dependent on it. I'm sure talented artists like Yoh Yoshinari have to come up with a lot of their poses without any reference. Are there any handy tips and tricks to coming up with interesting poses, or Videos on the topic. I've looked for a few myself but haven't found many that were useful, and while I love proko, his drawing from imagination video is just embarrassing. Which kind of concerns me since I've learnt 80% of what I know from him and don't wanna end up like that.

Thanks (also image is from Yoh Yoshinari's Sketchbook)
>>
Draw dynamic poses of artists you like, get a mirror and pose infront of it, do the pose you're drawing and feel where the muscles tense and think about how you can push it and distort features for more action.
>>
>>3079518
The key to drawing good poses from imagination is to actually know what it is you are drawing. Seems obvious, but apparently not many people are actually aware of it. When they study figures, they study nothing but life drawing poses and those weird nonsensical poses models make on online drawing sites.

If you want to draw flashy, dynamic martial art poses, you have to have studied martial artists at some point. Hell, something as simple as a person running or walking is something I rarely see studied by illustrators and fine art types, yet animators like Yoshinari have drawn thousands of running cycles in their life. So obviously he can draw any variation of a person in motion from imagination by now.

in short, study less nonsensical poses and more people DOING things, then apply those studies to drawings from imagination.
>>
File: mma_2011best_10.jpg (409KB, 1440x960px) Image search: [Google]
mma_2011best_10.jpg
409KB, 1440x960px
>>3079536
This

Real fighting is way more dynamic than those stiff pose refs. if you're going to study fighting from a photo, at least study it from people who know what they're doing. Same thing for gun refs.
>>
Hey there, I'm a professional storyboard artist. I think I may be of some help. In order to draw dynamic poses from imagination, you must study dynamic poses from reference. Seems obvious yeah? The thing is, studying from random poses from pinterest or figure drawing sites isn't going to allow you to come up with dynamic poses like yoh yoshinari. You need to study VIDEO reference. Study walk cycles, study jumping cycles, study running cycles, study backflip cycles, really try to draw the body from as many complex angles as possible. You always need to be on the top of your game when it comes to anatomy, gesture and form. Are you able to rotate a torso in your imagination? Can you draw a hand from life and rotate it 360? These are the things you need to master if you wanna draw like Yoh. Simplify things into manniquins and practice rotation.
>>
Thanks for the tips these were all actually pretty helpful. Makes sense I have trouble drawing martial arts poses or lewd sex poses because I know nothing about either!
>>
>>3079555
post some work mr. storyboard artist
>>
>>3079555
Any video galleries worth checking out?
>>
>>3079536
>>3079555
Maybe this is a stupid question but I never quite understood the process. Do you draw a loose gesture every time and move on, or do you also place boxes, anatomy, etc?
>>
>>3079736
whatever helps you to move forward in a piece
>>
>>3079536
Good tip, makes sense.
>>
>>3079536
>>3079555
Quality advice.

>>3079736
"Gesture" is a tool, not a finished product. A finished product is a drawing that communicates something, e.g. a person mid doing a backflip.
Use a combination of line, tone, scratches or smudges, underlined by your understanding of gesture. Anything that helps you communicate that idea.
That's the process of drawing you'll see in Vilppu's, Kopinski's or Rembrandt's work and that's the process you should follow.
>>
File: fb.jpg (578KB, 1380x1133px) Image search: [Google]
fb.jpg
578KB, 1380x1133px
Sorry, I can't find the questions thread. can someone please tell me whether this bump here is the latissimus, the serratus, or the teres major?
>>
>>3080196
It's an armpit you dumb fuck.
>>
>>3079518
Drawing dynamic poses literally boils down to drawing an interesting line of action, literally one of the easiest things to do. The hard part is constructing a coherent character from it.
>>
>>3079536
was about to say this but this anon said it well
>>
File: russian space program.png (22KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
russian space program.png
22KB, 640x480px
>>3079555
Any good sources to study these?
>>
File: Gray1215.png (86KB, 463x500px) Image search: [Google]
Gray1215.png
86KB, 463x500px
>>3080196

Latissimus dorsi.
>>
>>3079555
this burned to read. thanks
>>
File: s.jpg (397KB, 964x855px) Image search: [Google]
s.jpg
397KB, 964x855px
>>3080196
It's the latissimus. It wraps around the scapula and overlaps itself, similarly to pectorals or the trapezius. This serves as a hammock for the teres major.
>>
>>3080256
>>3080256

I've seen a lot of pros draw but honestly never seen one draw a "line of action". I have only ever seen that in books. U memeing son?
>>
>>3080820
It's because it's something you think about while drawing the figure, you dont actually draw it out, that's just done in books to illustrate the point
>>
>>3080263
what's this screenshot from
>>
I'm curious, what are your opinions on drawing poses from animation in which there would be no reference? Still the same route of studying figures in some dynamic way?
>>
DRAW ACTION NOT POSES
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.