[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I get over my fear of making comics?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

Everytime I try to start a comic project I realize how shit my art skills are. I look at comics like in the image I attached and cringe at how bad it is. I understand that you have to make a lot of bad drawings to make good drawings but when I'm sketching there really isn't an attachment. I can draw a bunch of bad hands and throw them away but with a comic, I feel there is a personal attachment to it especially if the story is something you care about. I dunno, I need advice?
>>
How to get over it? Well my simple advice is this, realize the truth; that the quality and success of a comic is more determined by the writing than the art and your writing is almost certainly even worse.
>>
That image is pretty good, most beginners and even intermediates couldn't pull off such impact.
>>
>>3079514
lol i made this same thread last year. i'm going with grinding until i think i'm good enough. i'm getting there soon i think. (within the next year or so i should be ready.) i haven't made my comic yet but i have written more of them so that when my grind is good enough i have lots of material to start with. the writing for me is the easiest part though.
>>
File: drbgl pg01 s.png (634KB, 900x1350px) Image search: [Google]
drbgl pg01 s.png
634KB, 900x1350px
>>3079514
You just keep on making them, man. I've wanted to make comics for years, but I only actually started drawing them regularly a year ago. from a year of practice I learned a lot more about comics and art in general than I had just sitting around, waiting for my art to improve.
My art is still by no means great, or even good, but I want to keep making comics because I want to tell the stories. I've abandoned comics because the stories weren't turning out well, but what's to stop me from coming back to them after I've gained more experience and redoing them?
You're going to fail a lot if you make comics, and that's alright. My best advice would be to make shorter stories before you go into a large project, no longer than ~10 pages, though if you have a long story you're dead set on, go for it. Don't be afraid to experiment and leave your comfort zone, you're going to have to draw a lot to make a comic, so try mixing things up when appropriate. Just try to learn something along the way and have fun.
>>
>>3079514
this is a good book, teaches you a lot of things that would take a while to realise with trial and error, and anon! I have a way of seeing comics, someone that has made 100 pages will always be better than someone that hasn't, JUST DRAW!
>>
>>3079514
Have you read anything by ONE? I.E. One Punch Man or 100 Mob Psycho. If the story is on point then you're fine, it'll reach people. Focus on the story more than the art.
>>
>>3079514
Then make a couple comics with stories you don't care about and practice more this isn't rocket science
>>
>>3079720
I tried working on stories I don't care about but I got bored lol
>>
>>3079582
Everyone loves to use ONE as inspirational example of a bad arist who still does good comics, but the thing is ONE isn't a great story teller, he's a great VISUAL story teller. Meaning, he loves manga and he knows how to make panels interesting and flow well. In that sense, art is very important. Take OPs page for example. I could easily overlook the anatomy problems and even the perspective, but the fact that the figure is sprinting in a direction that is making the last 2 panels flow backwards instead of forward is such a fundamental mistake for sequential art it hurts my soul. A mistake ONE would never make. Which is exactly why you can so easily overlook his terrible art.
>>
>>3079514
just look one punch man the original version
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.