[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I quit art?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: sudoku.jpg (104KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
sudoku.jpg
104KB, 800x800px
Since around March or April of 2015, I became... burnt out. Ever since that time, I became less and less motivated to draw. I wouldn't and still don't draw for a couple of days or weeks until I get a sudden rush of motivation.
Very recently, I tried to join an animation program, thinking the homework and projects given would force me to draw. But I failed the entrance exam.
Ever since I failed, I changed my drawing style from a mix of comic book and anime to Scott Pilgrim-inspired cartoon. I did so because I ran out of time during my test. For a while, it worked: I was drawing almost every day and I had more motivation to draw. I was drawing quickly, and I didn't need to spend huge amounts of time making sure the anatomy was perfect. But now, that motivation is gone.
And now, I'm asking myself this question: why do I draw? It's not fun for me anymore. Every time I tried to make it fun, it works for a small amount of time. Is it normal or am I just not cut for this media?
Even when it's not fun and I have no motivation, I still want to continue. I want to be at the level where I inspire others to draw, where others would say I'm a master at my craft.
When I look at videos about art or tutorials, I always hear how the content creator just drew every day or is always motivated or happy to create another piece. I don't really see videos on how at one point they wanted to quit or they were in a situation like I am.
I still struggle with what I'm struggling with since I've started drawing and it doesn't feel like I'm making progress. Really, whenever I want to draw, it's because I don't care about getting good; I just want to draw because I have an idea and I can't wait to put it on a piece of paper. Whenever that stops, I instantly forget how it feels to just be happy to create something.

TL;DR I'm a faggot who hasn't like drawing for over two years but still wants to git gud. Do I still try or do I quit
>>
>>3078941
Just feel your forms anon and let it flow through your veins. The pumpkin in a tree does fall without feeling its forms first.
>>
Do you honestly think a board full of losers and trolls are going to give you the answer?

maybe your heart's truly not in it and you're better off doing something else with your time, maybe you need to power through this to know what it's like to overcome serious obstacles and truly grow as a person and artist

The shit people present on YouTube videos and blogposts isn't true. Art is difficult, the art world/community is full of frustration, setbacks and impossible expectations. Lots of us are frustrated at times, but,when you're in the grind you tend to forget the irritation you feel working on your weaknesses and only remember the satisfaction as you reach new milestones.

I can literally get angry when I'm working because I never stop going for the longshots, doing exactly what I'm weak as shit at. the difference is that I have lived long enough to know that that zone is the growing zone, so I stay there and don't shy away from it. Wasn't always like that. I actually quit art for years due to burnout at one point. It happens to the best of us. i came back to it stronger when I had more life experience and priorities in check

What concerns me is that you judge your art efforts only in the connection with other people and their opinions, how they'll perceive your art and your capacity. Let me tell you all that's worth absolutely nothing in the long run. One day you'll be an old fart. When you look back on your life, what do you want to have accomplished? do you really want to obsess over the whims of insignificant assholes who mostly just care about what they're told to care about?

The thing that motivates artists through all that frustration is that at the end of the day, it's not about being perceived as a master, or getting some fancy job. They just want to fucking draw.

cheesy as it sounds, fuck all that other noise and follow your own voice, know that you'll look back one day and be able to say at least I did my thing, not someone else's.
>>
Your choice. What would a humane daily drawing habit look like for you?

I've yet to figure out the right mixture of enjoyment and "just do it" too. Sometimes I stop for months because I got too much down a hole of misery and being overly worried.
>>
>>3078966
>Do you honestly think a board full of losers and trolls are going to give you the answer?
can we just sticky this to the top of the board
>>
>>3078941
You don't have the Spark, OP. Just give up.
>>
File: 1500913674094.jpg (180KB, 1066x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1500913674094.jpg
180KB, 1066x1600px
>>3078941
I'm fucking shocked how your post is almost exactly me

>the date

I started in august of 2014, had a really good start as far as motivation goes, no worries, positive attitude etc.

Few months later this motivation dropped significantly, and I've been drawing on and off for almost 2 years.

Couple of days ago however, I saw a video on yt about an art project, and people were looking for artists to draw/animate. I felt this URGE I've never felt since I've started drawing, and I just wanted to have the skills to participate in this project and was both mad about not having it, and inspired to gain it.

>Even when it's not fun and I have no motivation, I still want to continue. I want to be at the level where I inspire others to draw

same, exactly. The need to be "praised" is also present in me unfortunately, until now I really didn't want to admit, but it's there.. I started art because I wanted to prove that I'm not worthless, so maybe my very first intentions were wrong to begin with

When I look at videos about art or tutorials, I always hear how the content creator just drew every day or is always motivated or happy to create another piece. I don't really see videos on how at one point they wanted to quit or they were in a situation like I am.

I remember listening to an interview or a podcast while playing WOW, I think Proko was interviewing someone, and he told Proko how he literally cried, he struggled so hard to find the meaning as to why he was drawing

>I just want to draw because I have an idea and I can't wait to put it on a piece of paper

yep, I have like 5-6 animations in my head, and I would want them to be excellent
>>
>>3079026
>and he told Proko how he literally cried, he struggled so hard to find the meaning as to why he was drawing
So wait, what was the meaning he found?
>>
>>3079028
can't remember, I'd have to dig the video up, it was in the fall, in 2016 I think. I think he interviewed the person how created "Pencilkings"? Not sure though, my memory is shit but I'll try to find it
>>
>>3079032
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJAaLyVqX_0

Around 12.20

I just checked certain parts of the podcast but I think this is the part I mentioned. Turns out I was wrong about it being posted back in the fall, apparently I was still playing Wow in april..
>>
>>3079026
>I don't really see videos on how at one point they wanted to quit or they were in a situation like I am.
>>3078966
>The shit people present on YouTube videos and blogposts isn't true. Art is difficult, the art world/community is full of frustration, setbacks and impossible expectations.
Damn, this is definitely what gets me. I only ever hear of successful artists talking about how constantly motivated they are to draw and how it's never been a doubt in their mind that they would fail, so I end up feeling like art is not for me because of how painful it can get and how it exacerbates my mental health at my worst. Glad I'm not alone, I guess.
>>
>>3079042
what do you mean? why did you quote this?

>I don't really see videos on how at one point they wanted to quit or they were in a situation like I am.

I was quoting OP, that whole sections was supposed to be quoted but I messed it up.
>>
>>3079043
I'm retarded and didn't catch that line in the OP, but your response to OP's line is also what I'm talking about.
>>
>>3079039
Thanks for sharing the vid anon, other parts are useful as well.
>>
>>3079057
I'm glad I could help somehow, anon.

It just dawned on me but it just goes to show how stupid my attitude towards art is.

Like I said I was listening to this podcast while playing Wow (instead of practicing), and I guess deep down I felt that it was not right to play and not practice and that I should at least do something art-related.. kinda lame lol.

But then again, I'm a pro at procrastination.
>>
>>3078941
Fun fact: My friend made that picture after playing shogun 2 and hating it. He also was in the same predicament as you and lost the drive to create art. However he later found his niche in painting miniatures and he's hoping to get as good as the games workshop artists. You need to find an area you like and are good in, it takes awhile and sometimes it's not even related to what you studied but the knowledge you learn can be applied to other forms of art.
>>
>>3078941

hey man you take as long as you need. i've been in depression-related ruts before that have lasted ages, and i've always found that if you sit down and force yourself to draw when you're uninspired, it'll just make it worse.

sometimes i try to focus on making tutorials inspire me to get better rather than letting them depress me over how much better i could already be doing. also, watching speedpaints in particular might help. i think because the high speed makes it look so easy, it bolsters my confidence so when i decide to draw, i feel like i can get to that level if i just put my mind to it.

oh, and you could redraw old art! i have 16 or so old sketchbooks going all the way back from 7th grade, and when i have no inspiration it's nice to just reimagine old shitty ocs with less samefacing & better designs.

i hope things start to look up for you soon anon
>>
File: 1425953152286.jpg (16KB, 158x276px) Image search: [Google]
1425953152286.jpg
16KB, 158x276px
>>3078966
I needed this today.
>>
please. Show one of his artworks.
>>
>>3078941
Let me tell you this straight away: Anything you do as a job, no matter how fun it may seem at first, will inevitably become... a job. Ask any LoL or Starcraft professional player. Don't even need to go that far, ask any streamer that's focused on a single game. Or even streamers and youtubers that play various games. At some point things become stale. Pewdiepie doesn't even play games anymore because he got tired of it. Got tired of his job which was playing games all day long lol.

Don't go into anything as a career thinking it will be fun and games. It's most likely not. Either be a professional and face it for what it is, a job, or give up already.
>>
>>3079042
>Here's how to stay motivated: you just keep drawing every single day all day no matter what!
Well no shit sherlock. I'm so motivated to grind hundreds of hours on something when I can barely see any sort of improvement, while my prospects of making a living off of it are still zero.

Meanwhile you got your first paying job 20 years ago when you were 16 and have been working at Disney or whatever till you decided that selling your motivation tutorials to the gullible was more profitable. So fucking motivating
>>
>>3078941
At least you have a time to look back on where you liked drawing, I'm trying to make it here without ever having enjoyed this shit
>>
OP here

>>3078966
>Do you honestly think a board full of losers and trolls are going to give you the answer?
I came to ask in a board full of losers and trolls because I knew I could get a response just like yours.

>maybe you need to power through this to know what it's like to overcome serious obstacles and truly grow as a person and artist
I think that's the answer. I've never faced something like this before.

I liked your answer in general, not gonna spam you with most of my thoughts.

>>3078998
>What would a humane daily drawing habit look like for you?
Drawing at least an hour a day, that seems reasonable.

>I've yet to figure out the right mixture of enjoyment and "just do it" too.
God, I wish I figured that shit out too.

>>3079001
This made me laugh so much and I don't know why. Thanks, anon.

>>3079026
>>3079039
I'm glad to know I'm not the only faggot who has this problem. Thanks for the vid anon <3

>>3079152
That's actually pretty cool, anon. And yeah, maybe that'll happen, maybe not. We'll see. I'll keep your suggestion in mind.

>>3079259
Thanks, anon. I find it funny how I've done almost everything you've suggested in your post.

>>3079293
I'll keep that in mind anon, thanks for your input.

>>3079327
I'll fucking quote you in the future.

>>3079830
Seeing how I told everyone my current state, I'll be giving shit advice. But watch videos until you learn something interesting. Then try it yourself.
Good luck anon.

TL;DR you're all big bastards and I love you all. <3
I'll keep drawing, reading your posts, especially >>3078966 's was motivating.
I wish you all well. Take care!
>>
>>3078966
>"Do you honestly think a board full of losers and trolls are going to give you the answer?"
>proceeds to give an answer
Yeah, what kind of idiot do you have to be do expect anything from /ic/?
>>
>>3078941

You could always get rich my designing plain tees with small cartoons such as ripndip :^)
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.