[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Critique please I need Halp

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 7

File: WP_20170726_02_41_05_Rich_LI.jpg (1MB, 1456x2592px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20170726_02_41_05_Rich_LI.jpg
1MB, 1456x2592px
>>
Forehead catches light in such a way that it makes it look like he has a dent. Left eye focus off by a few degrees; it has a bit less detail than right eye even though it catches more light, and is also a bit darker than it should be.

Left nose is a bit smudged. Lips are nicely conspicuous but the degree of their smoothness is inconsistent with the rest of your texture/technique.

Keep it though and YGMI
>>
File: WP_20170726_04_40_42_Rich_LI.jpg (1MB, 1456x2592px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20170726_04_40_42_Rich_LI.jpg
1MB, 1456x2592px
done more to it, where from here?
>>
>>3074001
You need to feel your forms.
>>
>>3074131
You have issues with form, but your biggest problem is color.

Watch this video. Watch what colors are used. You should not be using black at all, you should be using warm and dark colors, and using them to build values.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce7leNdACKk&t=1s

Skip ahead to 1:50 for the actual painting.

Watch portrait videos, and pay attention to color, and how they use it.
>>
I'll do a paintover for you, just a sec.
>>
>>3074001
i like it, i'd avoid doing more to it and later when you get better you can say it was on purpose and you were influenced by lucien freud
>>
File: anon_paintover.png (4MB, 1456x2592px) Image search: [Google]
anon_paintover.png
4MB, 1456x2592px
>>3074001
>>3074439

Here, anon. Sorry about the roughness of it but I'm a little bit short on time so I couldn't work more on it. My advice is to be more subtle in your gradation, since skin has some very very subtlety to how it changes in values and saturation, and to try and understand better what the forms you're trying to light really look like. I like your colors though and I think you're headed in a good path, so keep it up!
>>
this is woorse
>>
File: ohwell.png (718KB, 639x518px) Image search: [Google]
ohwell.png
718KB, 639x518px
>>3074856

Yeah, of course it is mate.
Delete yourself.
>>
>>3074891
I agree with the anon above
OP painting had character and distinct features, you tuned it into some generic barbie face
>>
>>3074611
Yeah, if you like flat, lifeless colors...
>>
>>3074898
I see what you're saying. Maybe I should've gone more old woman on her. I didn't know what was op's intention so I just went with barbie face to make it easier on myself lol. Doesn't matter either way though, the important part to take from it is to fix the forehead, the face perspective and to be more subtle with the value changes. Also to try and make the lighting be consistent. That is, for example, if you have highlights on the cheek, other places on the face that share the same plane should also have highlights. I also think it needs some lighting tweaks like subsurface scattering and whatnot.

>>3074921
Well it's certainly not bad for what I assume is a beginner in painting. They might be a bit underwhelming but, saving for the lack of a few reds and saturation here and there, aren't plainright wrong.
>>
>>3074938
>Well it's certainly not bad for what I assume is a beginner in painting.
Which is why I linked him to an actual artist, using better colors, which you didn't watch.
>They might be a bit underwhelming
No, they're just wrong. Black and beige are not the colors of skin.
>but, saving for the lack of a few reds and saturation here and there,
>and the rest of the color spectrum, and cool and warm tones
>aren't plainright wrong.
Do you even English? What the fuck are you talking about?

Stop giving advice. You don't know how to paint skin.
>>
It's like a more refined Illastrat
>>
>>3074611
>Sorry about the roughness of it but I'm a little bit short on time
>redliners giving this excuse every time
Just admit you aren't good enough to fix it the way you think it needs to be fixed.
>>
File: surely.jpg (25KB, 495x881px) Image search: [Google]
surely.jpg
25KB, 495x881px
>>3075123
surely not, if that were the case you'd think they'd do something slap dash like this (pic related), i think usually people just want to do a paintover because it's fun, but only a few minutes of fun, not fun enough to spend like half an hour on it make sure it looks good.
>>
>digitally painting over a blurry photo of a traditional painting

NGMI
>>
File: WP_20170728_01_50_01_Rich_LI.jpg (1MB, 1456x2592px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20170728_01_50_01_Rich_LI.jpg
1MB, 1456x2592px
still working on it, guidance please
>>
File: anon_paintover_2.png (588KB, 874x648px) Image search: [Google]
anon_paintover_2.png
588KB, 874x648px
>>3076297
Very nice improvement already anon, so good job on that. Here you go, this time around I tried to focus only on the things that were bothering me the most, which were:

- The forehead still has some very weird structure. Pay attention on how I changed the lighting on it. Also, that middle part you are trying to do comes from the eyebrow ridge and it's a lot more subtle than what you have; even on older people.

- The values on the eye that's being hit by the direct main light should be lighter than the ones on the other eye. I also fixed some second pupil thing that was going on with her right eye.

- The transitions from light to shadow should be a lot softer than what you have in some areas, especially around and on the mouth. Skin is a bit translucent so that much contrast between light/shadow doesn't really happen with the exception of some very specific light conditions.

- Softened the value changes on the nose and fixed the mouth line that comes from the nose. Pay attention that this line comes directly from the side of the nose, so it should be connected.

Keep up the improvement!
>>
>>3076421
thanks im gonna work on it tomorrow so i will post an update, i think i may have lost form of the right eye, its very rounded
>>
>>3076435
Ok I'll keep an eye for the update then.

> i think i may have lost form of the right eye
her right eye or the right eye from our perspective?
I think the change in her right eye is not that big, so I reckon you could probably fix that without too much trouble. The right eye from our perspective looks great to me though.
>>
yeah friend when you compose a portrait this close up you're asking for trouble, especially when working with traditional media with a big canvas. Obviously it can be done and done well but it fucking sucks because even with a good lighting scheme the face is a big pool of roughly similar tones and getting good gradients is a pain in the cunt. Considering all, you've done a fine job but have fun painting pores, cunt.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.