[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tracing Norman

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 12

File: floy-norman.jpg (171KB, 497x550px) Image search: [Google]
floy-norman.jpg
171KB, 497x550px
So tracing is a good thing
>>
>>
>>
>>3070896
a nigger stealing?
tell me something new
>>
>>3070896
Literally who stealing from who?
>>
>>3070948
>Floyd E. Norman (born June 22, 1935) is an American animator, writer, and comic book artist.
>Floyd Norman: An Animated Life, the critically acclaimed documentary on the first African American animator at Disney, is now streaming on Netflix.
>Thousand award

>2017 Norman worked on comic books for Leo Sullivan's project called Afrokids and he was accused of plagiarizing italian comics Monster Allergy and W.I.T.C.H. for copied poses, scenes, panels and character design.
>>
File: FillesDeSoleil2012WEB.jpg (169KB, 743x887px) Image search: [Google]
FillesDeSoleil2012WEB.jpg
169KB, 743x887px
>>3070948
Floyd Norman stealing from Alessandro Barbucci
>>
>>3070904
holy shit, that monster bd I used to read years ago shows up on /ic/? i never even knew it was italian, i only ever saw it in french in libraries and médiatheques. i never finished it too, it was pretty fun.
>>
File: scan.jpg (70KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
scan.jpg
70KB, 500x375px
With scans on the pc it is easy to trace.
>>
>>3070957
wtf, this is the black Disney animator guy? I was under the impression that he could draw. I mean he got hired for Sleeping Beauty, that's when Disney did really high quality animation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuVCJwDc4Bs

wtf?
>>
File: trace.jpg (64KB, 500x423px) Image search: [Google]
trace.jpg
64KB, 500x423px
>>3070968
And now trace.
>>
>>3070968
That's one fugly goofy. Why not trace it?
>>
>diversity hire turns out to be a shitter
wow i am truly shocked
>>
>>3070922
>>3071434

fucking niggers.
>>
I'm confused how people are defending this.
>>
File: apo.jpg (44KB, 500x455px) Image search: [Google]
apo.jpg
44KB, 500x455px
>>3071448
Must be defended because he is a living legend with films about his life and awards and the first black in disney is not nobody.
The funny thing is that in all posts of explanation he never names the author or the copied series,
why?
-It's not as important as he is
-He does not want to advertise it / visibility
-I do not even know what series is or who the authors found the internet scan of a foreign series and traced them thinking that no one would ever find out.
>>
Another day, another thread with /ic/ sperging out over someone tracing.

It's a fairly common thing in the art industry, especially in comics. You guys would lose your shit if only you knew the amount of people you admire who copy or trace from other stuff:

https://youtu.be/nJPERZDfyWc

and for those too lazy to watch the full thing, here's a 6 min example:

https://youtu.be/yrW3E6BN5Dg
>>
>>3071719
you're confused. this time the artist wasn't tracing a photo, but another artist's drawing.
don't compare this with 'remixing'
>>
I'm actually impressed by the level of contrition. When artists get caught like this, especially those who've made it big, they usually double down on being an asshole.

I'll chalk this one up to senility. Give the guy a break.
>>
>>3071719
The artist in question traced heavily stylized character designs that belong to another artist 1 by 1, you contrarian retard. That's quite different than a lazy comic book artist tracing some photo as basis for their characters or stealing cool ideas.
>>
>>3070905
>still doesn't cite the source
>brown nosing in the comments
>people are still defending this
I want to puke honestly
>>
>>3071733
>>3071740
Did you watch the fucking video, or not. Shot for shot the Matrix is stealing from numerous other films, and the same goes for a fuckton of stuff in cinema.

Apple, STOLE it's entire OS from someone else.

Stairway to Heaven is plagiarized from another song.

List goes on...
>>
>>3071776
and that makes it ok?
>>
>2017 Norman worked on comic books for Leo Sullivan's project called Afrokids and he was accused of plagiarizing italian comics Monster Allergy and W.I.T.C.H. for copied poses, scenes, panels and character design.

Has been deleted from wikipedia's profile.
>>
>>3070968
Is this a fucking joke? You're basing his art off of a cartoony drawing done in 30 seconds? Fuck this board man. It's swarming with retards.
>>
>>3071790
Yes, yes it does.

Find better things to do than wasting your time with pointless drama and mob lynching.
>>
What's the problem? He wasn't selling it, and apparently was just doing it form himself.
>>
>>3071776
Again, no one is saying shit about artists stealing ideas and incorporating them into their own work or even flat out making homages. The Matrix "stole" a bunch of fight scenes from old kung fu movies, putting them into its own setting and performed by its own characters during a very self-aware fighting sequence. The equivalent to what this artist in question did would be to flat out take that old footage and copy paste it together, pretending you filmed it. Are you really too dumb to understand the difference here?

I mean, I know that all the amateur shitters love to crawl out of the woodwork and defend their fellow hacks in threads like these, but there is a limit to how much of a contrarian faggot one can be. If someone took a Sargent portrait and erased his signature and uploaded it all over social media pretending they painted it, would you still defend them as a legitimate artist, you stupid fuck?
>>
>>3071823
No, no, it literally doesn't, which is why we have copyright laws you idiot.
>>
>>3071824
It does not sell because it was discovered.
See the printed sample of comics.
>>
>>3071829
was he planning to sell at SDCC? Did he announce anything about publishing prior?
>>
>>3071827
Do you even know what copyright laws are for?

If no one is selling anything or making a profit, then there's no crime. Fuck off.

>>3071826
No shithead, the equivalent to what you're describing would be to literally take the panels of the comic, and splice them into his own pages.

Him tracing the panels is equal to the Matrix copying shots from GitS and Kung Fu films frame by frame to make their own shots.

And the deal is, unlike the Matrix, none of this is being commercially distributed, thus, there's nothing worth throwing a fuss over.

I mean, I know that all you amateur shitters love to crawl out of the woodwork and to attack professionals to feel better about their lack of success, but there is a limit to how much time you could waste with pointless crap like this. If someone took a Sargent portrait and erased his signature and uploaded it all over social media pretending they painted it, would this really matter to you if you were actually working hard to develop your own skill, you stupid fuck?
>>
>>3071831
No.
>>
File: 1341779530443.gif (1MB, 300x170px) Image search: [Google]
1341779530443.gif
1MB, 300x170px
>>3071776
sorry, if would take your matrix example, if they would have taken a copy of a eastern film, flipped the image horizontally, put some filter over it and then put it into their own film, this is what norman did.
he literally traced the drawings, the creative output of another artist and sold it as his own idea. the fact that he printed the comic raises my suspicion that he would have sold it at the convention if people wouldn't have found out about it.
>>
>>3071719
You're getting the two very, very confused.
It's funny how you linked "Everything is a remix" video, yet you don't understand it yourself.
>>
>>3071715
>and the first black in disney
Is being a black is notable achievement?
>>
>>3071715
>he never names the author or the copied series
Now this is an asshole move.
Some italian nobodies do not even deserve mention by Great Norman.
>>
>>3071878
Being the first when previously someone black wasn't allowed to do the job, yes.
>>
>>3071881
Based on this incident I can see why they was not allowed.
>>
>>3071884
Based on your terrible I am not surprised you're a retard.
>>
>>3071886
Terrible grammar. rip.

Forgot to add that in after deleting english. Looks like the retardation is contagious.
>>
>>3071887
English not even my second language.
Also what are the chances that first nigger they hired happens to be thieving cunt?
>>
>>3071776
Just because a lot of famous people made their careers stealing from other people doesn't mean it's ok. There will always be artistic thieves and ripoffs in the world. No matter how popular they got, that doesn't make it right.

Now in the internet era its insanely easy to see exactly what these conmen stole from real artists. Even though the general public won't care, true art fans will always want the original innovation over a cheap imitation.

If you want to be popular, sure sell out and steal your betters work and pass it off as your own. If you want to be a true artists, you actually have to be able to have an original thought, so I can see how that would be hard for a lot of people.

So go ahead and make a "remix" if you want. Just please don't have the gall to think you are actually an artist.
>>
>>3071889
Disney himself was nothing but a hack thief, so not surprised he would hire other thieves to steal with him.
>>
>>3071893
I can agree with you on this one.
>>
File: creativity.jpg (105KB, 538x320px) Image search: [Google]
creativity.jpg
105KB, 538x320px
>>3071719
There are many things you can do with something you are "stealing". If you copy without transforming or combining, you aren't really remixing. You're just copying. Remix video is about adding on to the things you steal to make something interesting and evolve an idea. It's not about strictly stealing just so you can make something. It's about evolution of an idea by piggybacking on other ideas. Tracing comic panels is not evolution. It's just trying to cut your own work short. Just say it for what it is. It's a shortcut, not a remix. If he had not traced, and instead used the poses that already exist, in order to inspire his own poses, it would be a different story. I can understand if someone is unable to understand the difference between the two, but you should know there is a difference. It's the difference between taking someone elses film that they shot and using it like its your own and making your own shots based on film that inspires you. It's just different.

Film makers only use other peoples already filmed shots to create pitches and to brainstorm--never for their final product.
>>
>>3071891
NGMI familia...

ngmi
>>
File: great artists steal.png (664KB, 956x660px) Image search: [Google]
great artists steal.png
664KB, 956x660px
>>3071891
>>
>>3071898
>Film makers only use other peoples already filmed shots to create pitches and to brainstorm--never for their final product

>never for their final product

Try again. The Matrix, Kill Bill, Star Wars, and other high grossing films are shot for shot rip-offs of other less popular films.

Hell, Force Awakens was a literal copy of A New Hope.

How you can defend shit like this while raising your pitchfork over some dude tracing for non-commercial work just cause you have the SUSPICION that he would have sold it is ludicrous. Don't be a fucking hypocrite. Be equal with your judgement, if this genuinely triggers you out of artistic integrity, then you've got bigger fish to fry bucko.

But let's me honest here. The REAL reason you're outraged by this is cause of hive mentality. You're looking for some hot juicy drama to bandwagon over in order to distract you from the work you SHOULD be doing. You genuinely don't give a fuck about artistic integrity. You only say you do to justify joining the witch Hunt against this dude.

And it doesn't even matter if he did or didn't trace. You know no crime has been committed, and the same people getting "outraged" over this are the same fags who cried outrage over Kr0n, and pic related, and any other artist who happened to pass through your radar.

You are all pathetic little toxic pieces of shit. Don't even try to take the moral high ground, the rest of us know these threads are bred from jealousy, and you'll never change, that's why I won't even bother to tell any of you to grow up.

At the end of the day, you'll still be here jealously pointing fingers at artists who've made it, while the rest of us are living out the dreams you hoped to have.

What a sad waste of forum space though. If only we had moderators to get rid of this filth.
>>
File: 1498695403818.jpg (2MB, 3112x2060px) Image search: [Google]
1498695403818.jpg
2MB, 3112x2060px
>>3071918
Forgot the pic.

I genuinely wish garbage like this would net you a permanent ban from this board.

Take this filth back to /b/ where it belongs.
>>
>>3071918
Who here is defending Star Wars, Kill Bill, The Matrix, etc? Everyone already knows you can make money by being unethical, that doesn't make it right.
>>
>>3071834
...so this is a non issue?
>>
>>3070896
too bad this happened, but i can forgive this, Floyd is very old school, and his career is legendary. Trying to into computers... gets a little heavy handed with the "Swipes". I don't agree with swiping from your contemporaries but i know the practice was commonplace in comics and animation.
>>
>>3071918
Congratulations you didn't understand what I said.
>>
>>3071942
Yes.
>>
>>3071936
Then why bother with the small fry friendo?

The work is non-commercialized, what's the issue?
>>
>>3071945
What does it matter to you what he did? It's like you understand nothing at all and are looking to get outraged. Get a fucking life you loser. Nobody cares.
>>
>>3071972
My point wasn't about him in specific. It was about the use of the "remix" video as a defense. Like I said, what OP did is a shortcut not a remix. I was arguing with you how you approached your defense. Not about what I thought of the artist in the OP. This is a critique board, and I figured your defense could use some work. I see now a lot of things could use some work, given how worked up over nothing you are.
>>
literally who (cares)
>>
>>3071878
Well yes. When you belong to a race with an average IQ of 85, achieving anything at all outside of sports/entertainment is an achievement.
>>
so, did he or die he not sell them-any proof? that's really all that matters

>>3071715
>The funny thing is that in all posts of explanation he never names the author or the copied series
because everyone accusing him would already know the name?
>>
>>3071921
1/3 of these are photo refs
1/3 are dubious/not even the same
and 1/3 are actual copies
>>
>>3072235
Good thing the average IQ of humans barely break 100s in the first place in today's scores.
>>
>>3072251
True, he just wanted to honor the work of his Italian colleagues.
He wanted so much to honor their job that does not appoint them.
>>
>>3072290
Not the other dude, but 100 is the baseline/relative. It shifts as the average score skews to either lower or higher extremities.
>>
>>3072259
>1/3 are traced from photos.
>1/3 are only half- traced.
>1/3 are traced from other's work.

FTFY
>>
>>3072302
Sounds like some ITALIAN STORIES to me.
>>
>>3070896
some disney hack is borrowing stuff property of disney corporation

why should i care, again?
>>
>>3072504
It's not a Disney property is only been published in the past by DisneyItalia now has no right.
>>
>>3072345
the fuck is 'half-traced'? you mean ref'd?
>>
File: FloydWD2.jpg (133KB, 1024x873px) Image search: [Google]
FloydWD2.jpg
133KB, 1024x873px
>>3071715
Shit I had no idea dude was a fraud. I'm doubting he even worked on Disney Films but there are pictures of him working on them.

I never really thought that doing smooth inbetween work is almost like tracing, but it really is (I've done it), so I guess that explains everything. He also worked on 70s/80 cartoon shows and they were notorious for having animators trace model sheets. So I think this guy flew under the radar without ever actually knowing the fundamentals of cartooning for all these years.

I think these are actually made by him and they look like shitty newspaper comic strip shit. That's still SOME drawing ability though, right?
>>
>>3071447
Calm down, /pol/tard...
>>
>>3071921
Or the human body can only express a limited amount of poses and due to this fact we see reoccurring "copies".
>>
>>3073160
Nah. If you are talking about that image then he's obviously tracing off the reffs. One thing are limited poses but then there's the viewing angle, light sources, design, small details, etc.
>>
>>3072597
you should assume every artist is a fraud to some degree, an artist is a type of huckster. trying to be an honest artist is like trying to be a faith healer who actually heals people by laying hands on them, not a real thing.
>>
>>3072345
>tracing is bad
kys you meming fuck
>>
>>3072583

>I only plagiarized a part. It's called a TRIBUTE!!

>I only copied a part. It's called REF'D!

You're obviously retarded and don't know how to use references. I'd spoonfeed you because I feel generous, but I'd rather let the competition drown.

>>3073340

Yeah. I'm wrong, dude. Thanks for noticing. Tracing is the way of the pros. It will make things stick in your brain ;^)
>>
>>3073343
No rules, just tools.

NGMI senpai, NGMI
>>
>>3073343
>I'll put words in his mouth and then call him retarded. That'll show 'em
hm
really rouses my receptors
>>
>>3070922
force reality around you insecurities
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.