[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sycra's patreon

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7

Hey guys, I'm an intermediate level artist(roughly around the level of the people in atl/styl thread) and I'm thinking of becoming a patreon member of sycra. Basically, for 15 bucks a month, I get a 30 minute critique. Do you guys think it's worth the money? Thanks.
>>
>>3070287
how bout you post your work and ill give you a better crit for free
>>
>>3070289
>better crit
>you suck everything's bad more loomis symbol drawing
>>
File: B0wNx0j.png (185KB, 608x812px) Image search: [Google]
B0wNx0j.png
185KB, 608x812px
>>3070289
Here are some sketches I did today. But how do I know if you're bullshitting or not?
>>
>>3070289
>/ic/ will give you better crit than sycra
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA that's such bullshit. I bet you don't even believe that.
>>
File: july-22-2017-2.jpg (755KB, 837x1000px) Image search: [Google]
july-22-2017-2.jpg
755KB, 837x1000px
>>3070292
It's me, brian. Haha! fooled ya! anyways, do you mostly draw anime and young-ish characters?

>>3070298
Uhhhh sycra's terrible. I've been drawing more adventurous things since I was 10. If anyone here can crit on raw improvement it's me. That's all I do. I never draw for anything else than studying.
>>
>>3070292
>>3070290
>>
File: 1476159900970.jpg (37KB, 479x492px) Image search: [Google]
1476159900970.jpg
37KB, 479x492px
Well for one you won't be wasting money so.......whats the big deal? And I mean c'mon you'd rather pay someone who draws Dorito chins for critic than to ask ic for free?
>>
>>3070292
Not >>3070289
Any full body sketches? Show us your anatomy.
Any composition shots or perspective shots?
Can't really gauge your skill based off of limited number of thumbnail sketches.
You see to have OK confident and solid lines. Standard anime designs and facial proportions seem fine.
What do you want to improve on? Show us more.
>>
Oh.....ive Been bamboozled.........sweet
>>
>>3070292
I'll just assume you do. Anyways I gave this same crit to other people on here today. What you need to focus on is density of lines and forms. I assume if you're going to sycra for help you want to draw fully rendered pieces. The best route you could go in your drawings would be to put down as many lines as you can until it starts looking ugly.

So much of skill acquisition early on in drawing comes from a mix of quantity and quality. You want to push pieces as far as you can at your current level. That doesn't mean you need to be making things that are a higher quality, though! That means you need to bring things of your current quality to a higher level of completion.

And this is a crit I give to any anime artist, and that's to focus less on making things look pretty. That's the whole reason young and amateur artists get drawn into anime styles is because it's a quick way to make things idealized and aesthetically pleasing, but what you really need to be doing is drawing things that are ugly.

You will learn more about faces by drawing ugly faces with complex forms, crevices, wrinkles, and heavy features, than you will drawing the same young smooth anime girls everyday.

You learn more about design early on by overdesigning than you do from doing safe, simple things. They may look ugly, but that's the point.

I spent most of my formative years (10-18) drawing things like pic related. Ugly ass faces with tons of shape design. You will too. Your end goal may not be fine arts, it might be what Sycra is doing, but even he could learn a thing or two from stretching his imagination a bit every once in a while and drawing something more complicated than pretty faces.
>>
>>3070287

If you're a huge huge fan of this sycra fella and want to reach a level like his then it might be worth it, it is your money and 15 bucks doesn't seem like a lot. But depending on where you live, if you live in a large city or near one, you might be better off going to a college or take a class at an art school and get critique by different people. Here in Los Angeles Otis college of art they have some days where teachers review portfolios for free.
>>
>>3070308
as an addendum to this, there's a reason art schools look for life drawing and work other than anime in portfolios. It's because anime is shorthand for "I wanted it to look pretty with minimal effort". Most of the time drawing from life or photographs is the best way to force yourself to put down more lines. If you draw simple faces and bodies all day you won't have the chance to get the quantity you want early on. Go outside and pick any area to draw, regardless of composition, light, or anything like that, and I guarantee it will get you to draw more than digital anime girls.

Kronprinz did that. He spent time early on on life drawing because the stuff he's doing now wouldn't have presented as much of a challenge. I did the same thing. You should too.

All of this is what sycra would tell you anyways. Save your money. Just cause he's a name and I'm not yet doesn't mean this advice is void.
>>
>>3070308
>>3070313
Can you post something to show your current skill level?
>>
File: july-21-2017.jpg (710KB, 774x1000px) Image search: [Google]
july-21-2017.jpg
710KB, 774x1000px
>>3070322
this >>3070300
and i painted this one yesterday
>>
File: july-12-2017.jpg (631KB, 771x1000px) Image search: [Google]
july-12-2017.jpg
631KB, 771x1000px
>>3070324
this is my observational work
>>
>>3070324
>>3070326
>isis
>>
>>3070329
just take my advice. you'll be fine. you don't need sycra or art school.
>>
>>3070329
also I'm Italian so it's
>Mafia
>Wop
>Guido
or
>Guinea
>>
>>3070324
>>3070326
Why do you think you're qualified to give advice to someone trying to draw anime.
>>
>>3070333
Because he's not trying to draw anime. He's trying to be an illustrator. If I had to guess his trajectory if he works smart it will look similar to Kron's

Life drawing into rendered western anime. If he continues to just draw anime without supplemented observational work he's not gonna make it.

He's skipping steps, but I assume he's in his 20s or late teens so it shouldn't be a problem.
>>
>>3070337
You're okay at painting but all this guy has shown is that he wants to draw anime. Doesn't seem like you'd know how to get him there.

Personally think he can take or leave all your advice except "draw more".
>>
>>3070340
>Personally think he can take or leave all your advice except "draw more".
probably. but that's what sycra would say too, except he'd have different superfluous advice to give around it. Any artist would. Draw more is kind of it. Whatever makes you draw more. But the part where I asked him to post some work and he posts some anime girls with no shading and minimal lines makes me think he's not getting inspired to practice as much as he needs to from just anime. I'm not him, I don't know what will make him draw more, that's on him.
>>
>>3070326
What's your skin palette mix? Do you prepare them ahead or time or mix them on the canvas?
>>
>>3070353
magenta, cadmium orange, titanium white, vermillion light, brilliant yellow, burnt umber, turquoise, prussian blue is my palette.

my usual skin tone for my own face is vermillion mixed with brilliant yellow with a burnt umber/brilliant yellow underpainting.
>>
>>3070355
>cadmium orange
cadmium yellow*
>>
>>3070355
Burnt Umber, huh? Like the Ashcan school. Most people recommend Burnt Sienna, but the contrast isn't there. Interesting stuff.
>>
>>3070360
im retarded i use burnt sienna. it's late. idk my own colors. I have burnt umber too I found it too desaturated though. I accomplish almost identical greys with prussian blue/vermillion as I do with prussian blue/burnt umber.
>>
>>3070347
>Draw more is kind of it.
I fucking hate all you artists, just give me the secrets already
>>
>>3070367
the secret is that your work will never look exactly like someone else's. don't expect to be a better version of someone that already exists. good art comes in many forms.

also draw more.
>>
The reality is there's no reason for pros to come here and give indepth critique and advice to uncouth assholes on 4chan. There's nothing in it for them.

There's a reason Sycra charges for this. Teaching is hard work.
>>
>>3070287
Any good teacher who draws better than Sycra doing the same?
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.