[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Practiced my butt off, i'm still shit!

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 24

File: 6.jpg (99KB, 622x800px) Image search: [Google]
6.jpg
99KB, 622x800px
>A-anon just practice enough you'll get good
>A-anon the only reason people are bad is that they don't study their fundamentals and practice enough

Bull.Fucking.Shit.

I've been training 5 hours a day for 2 years and i'm still have issues with basic fucking problems. I've done value practice, I've done box fucking exercises, I've done creative work and yet i'm keep messing up the basic fucking shit.

And then I see some artists who come outta nowhere just do fun shit and pass me in a year or 2. Like wtf?

Fuck this. I'm on the verge of quitting.

Art belongs to me
>>
no talent
>>
File: IMG_3094.jpg (62KB, 738x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3094.jpg
62KB, 738x500px
I've done hundreds of loomis heads
>>
File: IMG_3159.jpg (66KB, 749x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3159.jpg
66KB, 749x800px
I applied that shit to creative work.
>>
>>3069042
Sounds like you've never actually gotten out of your comfort zones and continued a mindless grind of fundamentals. You're not going to get better by simply copying exercises.
>>
File: IMG_1937.jpg (65KB, 900x559px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1937.jpg
65KB, 900x559px
>>3069046
Well guess what faggot, most people aren't talented. I would say on 5% of artists even have the potential to become great.

Anyway, more fucking work
>>
File: y43jjtt.jpg (47KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
y43jjtt.jpg
47KB, 400x300px
>>3069042

The same way you made a thread about why you're shit is the same way you could write in a notebook what you've done so far about being shit and what steps you can do to fix yourself. Keeping check on what you are doing and constantly evaluating your practice is what will get you ahead.

If you just draw all the time and not think about why you're doing what you are doing then you lose sight of the target. Well at least for me anyway, people can only say what works for them.

The short answer is you don't have the spark.
>>
File: IMG_2780.jpg (114KB, 600x855px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2780.jpg
114KB, 600x855px
>>3069053
Mindless grind of fundamentals? Bitch, I've applied that shit to creative work
>>
>>3069057
Quit making stupid fucking assumptions. I constantly think about my weaknesses and try to fix them.
>>
>>3069060
>I constantly think about my weaknesses and try to fix them.

Show me todays diary page right now, faggot.
>>
>>3069061
Because every professional artist writes a page every day of what their weaknesses are huh? Quit giving me autistic suggestions.
>>
>>3069042
Looking at this pic, yes there are a few issues that need to be fixed (assuming this is a drawing from life / actual person). You can see them yourself.

Over all, don't expect line drawings to be the holy grail. Make sure you practice rendering form shadows, cast shadows, sharp and blurry terminators, nailing the relative values, et cetera. The combination of line work and shadow/value work is what will get you closest to what is in front of you. From there on it's pure mindless fun.

Don't give up tho. There's no reason to.
>>
>>3069067
ngmi
>>
>>3069058
This could be a nice illustration if it was finished and colored.
>>
You've been doing this for two years and you have the nerve to complain.

Fuck off
>>
>>3069042
git gud
>>
>>3069042
It's because when you're having fun you tend to retain information more and they also tend to draw longer than people who force themselves to. I've gone days where I drew 16 hours painting and drawing because I was having so much fun
>>
File: IMG_3053.jpg (55KB, 414x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3053.jpg
55KB, 414x600px
>>3069083
I do enjoy studying though. Learning new things is always fun. I'm just not talented.

>>3069078
2 years is a lot nigga.I've actually been drawing my whole life, it's just I got serious 2 years ago. I've drew this in 2012, and i've practically made zero progress
>>
its not bad, quit being a bitch imo
>>
>>3069042
u do that from memory?
>>
>>3069096
You've gotta get a "teacher" of some sort then, you need someone to watch you draw and tell you how to improve, someone who actually knows whether you're practicing or if you're just pretending you do online.
>>
Have you practiced any rendering?
>>
File: 2yearsin.jpg (427KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
2yearsin.jpg
427KB, 1000x1000px
you just need to stick with it.

this was me 2 years in in figure drawing, and a figure drawing i did this year.

If I could give advice to you, it would be that you need to put down as many lines as you can early on. Even if you cross hatch things and get them super wrong you need to learn how to make every line look good. Shade all your drawings, draw as fast as possible, really push yourself to put down as many lines and get them as correct as you can.
>>
Brain problems. Maybe you had fetal alcohol syndrome?
>>
>>3069096
2 years is barely anything, chill out and enjoy the improvement; where's the fun in being perfect anyway
>>
>>3069212
What the fuck u mean it's barely anything, you faggots on ic say you can go from beginner to pro in 1 year
>>
>>3069130
i'll unironcally think about thios next time i drawew

but not tnight because who tf sis sober on a friday lmaooo
>>
>>3069042
Take a break for a bit, see what you're doing wrong - expand.

As far as I can see, the bulk of what you're doing is drawing. Try something else.
>>
What are your goals?
>>
>>3069253
Drawing is already expansive as it is. The only thing painting adds is colors, values and edges.
>>
File: tumblr_m68l8ty1El1qhpx4lo1_500.jpg (213KB, 500x668px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m68l8ty1El1qhpx4lo1_500.jpg
213KB, 500x668px
It looks like you are drawing from references, and mostly focus on linework - which I think a lot of people on /ic/ neglect, and jump into rendering prematurely. I think at this point you're very skilled with line work, but I don't see much shading from what you've posted. Your work reminds me of where I was before I started shading, and the transition for me was when I drew a picture of Daredevil, similar to this picture, where I just copied the form of the shading and filled it in, and that opened the door to similar projects I would take on, which straddled the line between cartoon and realistic. Idk what "improvement" would mean in your eyes, but if you want to be able to draw more realistically, finding sources to copy that challenge your current ability and force you to learn something new is a good way to move in that direciton
>>
File: kimjunggi09.jpg (216KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
kimjunggi09.jpg
216KB, 750x500px
>>3069291
Improvement for me is sketching like KJG. I figured if I just focus on pure sketching, I'll get improve that much faster at sketching than adding rendering to the mix.
>>
>>3069291
the other thing I'd like to mention is that 10 minutes of research can be more valuable than 6 months of practice. if you reach a stumbling block while working on a certain piece, see if you can come up with some good keywords to search and find a tutorial that demonstrates the effect you're trying to create
>>
>>3069294
still this guy here
>>3069291
>>3069297

I think you already can draw like KJG, just be ready to spend 20+ hours on a single drawing and fleshing out tiny minutiae. His work is super detailed. Being able to do that quickly is a craft. It's like being able to type quickly, for now don't worry about speed, that will come, just be accurate and persistent
>>
>>3069299
You think I can already draw like KJG? Just how gullible do you think I am? I don't have even 5% of KJG'S skill.
>>
>>3069307
Sure, why not? Get yourself a 4h pencil on some newsprint or printer paper and see if you can't draw that Abe Sapien from the picture you posted. If you fuck up the proportions or whatever, you can erase 4h pretty easily, if you continue to fuck up until the paper is ruined, trace the good parts onto a new piece of paper. I don't see any reason you couldn't copy his work. Copying his imagination? that's another story
>>
File: 1499431063895.jpg (21KB, 540x389px) Image search: [Google]
1499431063895.jpg
21KB, 540x389px
>>3069042
>>
>>3069429
drawing without direction < drawing with guidance and feedback
>>
File: 9vklLXJ.jpg (24KB, 400x386px) Image search: [Google]
9vklLXJ.jpg
24KB, 400x386px
>>3069042
>he fell for the work hard meme
work smart you idiot,and 5 hours a day is not a lot fyi
>>
>>3069042
>muh FIVE HOURS
>BUT I'VE GRINDED SO HARD
This is a dilemma I see a lot on here, you autists claim to be practicing for these large blocks of time daily, but see no improvement. If that's the case it's time to look at how you're practicing. If you're this assmad about how much you've been grinding muh exercises without getting better, I'm going to assume you spend most of those 5 hours bored out of your mind and not really thinking about what you're doing. Work smart is a much more important concept than work long/hard.
>>
>>3069435
Fucking this, so many talentless idiots
>>
>>3069431
Yeah every good artist had their own personal team of mentors to hold their hand and pat them on the back every step of the way. Only you suffer such misfortune that you must walk this path alone and thus can never truly make it.
>>
File: -7203_9836.jpg (30KB, 433x694px) Image search: [Google]
-7203_9836.jpg
30KB, 433x694px
>>3069504
>Yeah every good artist had their own personal team of mentors to hold their hand and pat them on the back every step of the way.

Yeah why not. It also doesn't have to be a mentor but just a general guided path that does not lead the beginner astray.

Beginner 'A' lets say could have been studying anatomy from a shit teacher like Riven Phoenix or w/e and did not have /ic/s resourceful sticky to read when they started. They've wasted a year or 2 building bad habits essentially. Then when they ask the question "why does my art suck" well you can see why that is; they were learning from terrible resources and false guidance.

Coupled with the fact that their eyes aren't trained to spot a pile of shit that would hamper their progress, these people tend to give up. A poisoned well is necessary to cull enough people out of the client market, yes, so these false guides are needed arguably enough. But it isn't just art that has a poisoned well--any creative field has their stash of garbage.

Feedback, even if it's from a better artist than you, keeps the learner from stagnating and being married to their art.

I feel that one can draw a lot if they have the proper direction to propel them. They'll see faster gains this way. But it is up to the artist to dive in and draw "a lot" first.
>>
>>3069058
This looks decent. There's some stiffness in there. Try reading Preston Blair's book on animation and just play around with the shapes and expressions. Read Vilppu's manual and play around with poses. It's easier to improve if you enjoy the process.
>>
File: ggggggggggggggggggg.png (75KB, 1580x292px) Image search: [Google]
ggggggggggggggggggg.png
75KB, 1580x292px
Anon have you ever tried tracing? Pic related, a post I made about how it helped me
>>
engage, explore, think for yourself, have fun

stagnant people aren't doing that imo

also loomis is a meme
>>
>>3069042
I that a Jojo reference ?
>>
>>3069435
How do you work smart though? Grinding loomis or books in general kills all the creative fun in drawing and drawing from imagination is just torture because I have no skills.
>>
You stripped the enjoyment out of it dude. The people who are "passing you", they're just people who are able to enjoy drawing even though they were shit. That's all talent is.
>>
>>3069431
don't really agree with this. Everybody has a level of skill in mind that they want to reach and you will probably know yourself if you aren't at that level and still have more work to do. Unless you are a really pretentious fuck.

>>3069492
>work smart not hard

I live by this. Feels good.
>>
>>3069042
Grinding imo is akin to spending hours and hours in the practice mode in a fighting game. You'll learn the basics, But you'll get the most experience by actually playing with people. In the case of drawing, you get the most by actually completing work, and by the look of it all OP does is sketches.
>>
>>3069042
>2 years

dude, professional artists that i know have been training for more than that. And are still working at it. You need patience. And stop comparing yourself and stay grounded.
>>
>>3069435
>>3069492
>>3069613
>work smart meme
Why do you have to ostracize people out like this? Apparently people here take the word hard literally, dumbasses.
>>
>>3069613
>Everybody has a level of skill in mind that they want to reach and you will probably know yourself if you aren't at that level and still have more work to do. Unless you are a really pretentious fuck.

you misunderstood what I meant
>>
File: muh grindan.jpg (106KB, 851x605px) Image search: [Google]
muh grindan.jpg
106KB, 851x605px
>>3069759
>>
>>3069042
What is this? Fishing for compliments?

Your art is good, faggot. What are you upset about? That you aren't a master yet? 5 hours every day for two years isn't even halfway to 10,000 hours. There's a reason masters are 35~ at the earliest.

Back to work.
>>
>>3069529
>Shit talks Loomis
>Recommends reading Dodson and Norling

Fuck off with this shit
>>
File: please.png (38KB, 152x167px) Image search: [Google]
please.png
38KB, 152x167px
>>3069787
>facebook meme
also it doesn't really smart how are unless you work hard. Finding what stuff is appealing is a lifetime research research. Do you think Disney or Pixar make appealing characters designs by hiring lazy fucks like you? lel
>>
>>3069787
what the fuck does that even mean.

Are you retarded? Is this how retarded people communicate?
>>
>>3069787
Only deviant art and tumblr are fooled by this kind of bullshit, you'll never get a job.
>>
File: Mozgus_psychotic_glee.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Mozgus_psychotic_glee.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
do you know the bones and muscles? or you just watch proko and loomis shit?
>>
>>3069096
>2 years is a lot nigga
Naive or trolling. If it's the former, this is literally your only problem. Your perspective on your art "career" timeline.
>>
>>3069869
2 years is a lot. In feng zhu academy, you have artists that go from beg to pro in a year...
>>
>>3069873
>ywn have a whole year with all the resources in the world to dedicate to becoming a concept designer
>>
>>3069280
>Drawing is already expansive as it is.
It can be.
>The only thing painting adds is colors, values and edges.
You're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>3069994
How so? Painting fundamentals only consist of colors, values and edges, the rest is drawing..
>>
hi op, i am concept artist. I will offer advice.

Your goal is to draw with lines only and be like KJG yes? You need to learn line weight. Your stuff is lacking horribly in line weight, you absolutely need to learn this. You need to have the ability to vary line width and make objects feel like they are further or overlapping. You are drawing everything with the same line quality.

Idk what that creative work is, why are you drawing link? Is this from imagination? What subject matter do you wish to draw? Creative work would be designing a new character, not drawing link. I don't know if its from ref or not.

After 2 years of grinding you should have some solid comparitive measurement and perspective intuition, so define your goals are go from there. Are you gonna be drawing from ref? Are you gonna be desiging your own shit? Do you only draw characters? Have you been studying clothes and armor and all the other things?

What do you expect to provide to make money from art? Find artists who do the shit you wanna do, like KJG, and study his shit. Try to draw an image he made, youll see how much you have to learn on the line quality and width side.

Any questions to me?
>>
>>3070005
What kind of work do you do? Games? Movies?
>>
File: 185309332.jpg (120KB, 416x416px) Image search: [Google]
185309332.jpg
120KB, 416x416px
>>3070005
Is this only one of those "pretend i'm a professional artist" posts?
>>
>>3070001
A drawing doesn't cease to be a drawing when it includes one or more of those variables. If you want to delve into painting as an approach, the main thing is that it feels different. Hell, it doesn't even have to be painting but it has to be challenging.

OP has been drawing figures, boxes, and Link almost the same exact way for that past 2 years for 5 hours a day.
I'm not surprised he stagnated.
>>
>>3070010
1 tv show and 1 music video so far. Been in the industry for a while but switched to concept art, only have done those 2 so far. Eventually games and movies though
>>
>>3070011
why would someone "pretend to be a professional" anonymously?

what's so damn incredulous about someone being artist by profession?
>>
>>3070027
The only time anyone accuses someone of pretending, is when they get called out for shit memes and "advice".
>>
>>3069518
>a shit teacher like Riven Phoenix

holy fuck havent heard about that fucker in ages what is he up to?
>>
>>3070027
So they can add more validity to their shit advice? For fun? What kind of stupid question is that? There was actually a thread where anons admitted pretending to be pros to confuse other anons
>>
>>3069058
Looks fine to me
>>
>>3070051
Link?
>>
>>3070051
>There was actually a thread where anons admitted pretending to be pros to confuse other anons
Not surprised in the slightest. /ic/ has been a wheel of regurgitating the same bullshit over and over again to bait people into shitty threads for a long time now. If it's not someone's shitty art work, it's sucking Ilya's dick or talking about Shadman or some other pimple faced talentless faggot.

This thread has the look of someone trolling /ic/ also.
>>
File: Capture7.png (727KB, 636x479px) Image search: [Google]
Capture7.png
727KB, 636x479px
>>3069792
Didn't shit talk Loomis... just said it was a bad place to start. I think even most retards can tell you that Dodson is the place to start for complete beginners, and if you're not allergic to reading Norling's book is very good
>>
File: 1500775808331.gif (1MB, 304x376px) Image search: [Google]
1500775808331.gif
1MB, 304x376px
>>3069796
>>3069817
>>3069845

have fun turning out like OP.
>>
>>3069058

yeah this isn't bad, what's your problem?
>>
File: 1499541431988.png (588KB, 1136x640px) Image search: [Google]
1499541431988.png
588KB, 1136x640px
>>3069529
Post work please please
>>
File: Capture15.png (501KB, 625x413px) Image search: [Google]
Capture15.png
501KB, 625x413px
>>3070444
I'm still shit but I've improved a lot since tracing, I understand things like hips, curves of legs, etc, all information I wouldn't have been able to derive on my own because I'm a talentless hack. I'm not just giving generic meme advice, try it and see if it helps you
>>
>>3069049
>I've applied that shit to creative work
>there is literally no construction in the head or anywhere else
the problem here is you OP

>>3069294
>I think you already can draw like KJG
what
>>
>>3069529
are you the cunt who gives bad advice on purpose?
>>
>>3070634
doesn't matter

post your work
>>
File: lupinlaugh2.jpg (23KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
lupinlaugh2.jpg
23KB, 480x360px
>>3069759
>Apparently people here take the word hard literally, dumbasses.
And look how well that's turning out for them, 5 hours of brainless "hard work" for 2 years and literally no improvement
>>
>>3070050
Every time he live streams (I think he does that privately now) it sounds like he's about to cry anytime someone in the chat critiques what he is doing. I almost feel sad for the man. He and some others desperately want to be the Leonardo of our time.
>>
>>3070444
not him but tracing for practice is immensely helpful. You just don't wanna do it so much that you start to rely on it like the "pros" at DC and Marvel.
>>
>>3070657
I can't even imagine doing that to myself. "haha yeah lemme just spend afew hours a day drawing for the next 10 years for a chance that I might be halfway decent some day!" there are always shortcuts and the people at the top of the heap ALWAYS take them.
>>
>>3070744
Do you really want to be like the people at the top?
The reason I started drawing is because I want to master drawing and I can only reach that goal by drawing.
I don't want to rely on tools or shortcuts and I don't really care for an industry job either, it's more like an elaborate hobby I do besides my job.
And since I don't have a social life either, I have plenty of time to practice and I don't just mindlessly draw every day, I spend a lot of time analyzing my own work too, trying to understand what I do wrong and what I want to achieve.
You will be more than decent in 5 years if you practice hard but also smart.
>>
>>3070764
>I don't really care for an industry job either, it's more like an elaborate hobby I do besides my job.

I guess your opinion is invalid here then huh
>>
talent is real
remember that
>>
>>3070660
lmao

where does he stream?!
>>
>>3070650
You rub out the construction once you've finished with it to make the drawing look nicer
>>
>>3069291
Agree. As someone who mainly wants to do animation, I'm not really interested in doing lineless paintings/illustrations at all; but just scanning my sketches, inking them, putting a bit of colour on ect will instantly make them look like a 'real' illustration. It's easy to feel like you're wasting time when you have nothing to show for it except fuzzy sketches, and starting paintings can be overwhelming, especially when you have never really worked with colours before; doing stuff like this really helps you become a bit more confident as an artist. Quality advice
>>
>>3071960
Quit making excuses and learn how to paint faggot. All decent animators have good painting skills
>>
File: 1499313535897.jpg (98KB, 1050x700px) Image search: [Google]
1499313535897.jpg
98KB, 1050x700px
>>3070652
>tfw not giving cookie-cutter advice on /ic/
>>
>>3070224
I mean, post your work. You're dogshit anyway, why would your retarded opinion matter?
Thread posts: 99
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.