[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are copying tutorials a good source to help artists progress?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: copied tutorials.png (375KB, 989x884px) Image search: [Google]
copied tutorials.png
375KB, 989x884px
Are copying tutorials a good source to help artists progress?

Post results from trying to mimic tutorials, found this one on pinterest
>>
sure, like any other sort of studies, as long as you're learning from it.
>>
I was going to reply about how bad of a tutorial that it is but if you don't know why it's bad, you might as well do whatever it takes to just keep making marks until things click and you realize you need loomis
>>
>>3068931
when I started off in my first year I deliberately looked for "bad" tutorials of people who weren't extremely skilled, but still a bit better than me. It's easier to learn from them rather than people eons ahead of you when you're a beginner. you wouldn't understand a quarter of the stuff of someone better anyway
>>
>>3068931
>loomis
Don't waste your time just get that red airbrush and you can make a nose.
>>
File: bbooobs.png (328KB, 1000x1200px) Image search: [Google]
bbooobs.png
328KB, 1000x1200px
just did this from a tutorial too r8
>>
>>3068942
2/10

The colors are somewhat on point but all the shapes are disheveled and not thought through

Try to understand what you're depicting, i.e study references
>>
>>3068942
post the tutorial so we can compare
>>
>>3068947
i studied an anatomy reference tho...
>>3068960
>>
>>3068970
>i studied an anatomy reference tho
As you should be doing. Good job there.

>>3068942
So I think you nailed the point of the tutorial, the breasts. Everything from the ribs down looks a bit odd. I mean it's not badly drawn, but it looks like it's part of a different body. I think the issue here might be the curve of the back into the hips. Maybe you can look at your reference again and see what needs to be worked on. Don't forget to flip your canvas to help you spot out mistakes easier. You're doing good, anon. I'm proud of you.
>>
If you're copying from tutorials when you're a beginner you want to choose something that is as natural as possible. If you're copying and studying from something that is already stylized you're going to pick up a lot of bad habits that later you'll have to unlearn.
>>
>>3068970
omg source for the first two pic??
>>
>>3068970
yeahh link for the first image pls, love that style of the body
>>
>>3069126
>>3069131
the artist is called Jang SeongHwan
>>
>>3068970
MY FUCKING DICK
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>3068919
If you want to do a study it would be far more beneficial to pick a work from a classical master instead of tumblr shit. You'll learn more and maybe you'll get some better taste too
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.